babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Reuters Makes Formal Complaint to Pentagon

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Reuters Makes Formal Complaint to Pentagon
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 13 January 2004 06:22 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
today, boys and girls, we're going to talk about press freedom. can you say that? i knew you could.

The Guardian, Jan 13

quote:
The international news agency Reuters has made a formal complaint to the Pentagon following the "wrongful" arrest and apparent "brutalisation" of three of its staff this month by US troops in Iraq.

American soldiers fired at two Iraqi cameramen and a driver from the agency while they were filming the scene of a helicopter crash.

The US military initially claimed that the Reuters journalists were "enemy personnel" who had opened fire on US troops and refused to release them for 72 hours.

It is understood that the journalists were "brutalised and intimidated" by US soldiers, who put bags over their heads, told them they would be sent to Guantanamo Bay, and whispered: "Let's have sex." The US troops also made the blindfolded journalists stand for hours with their arms raised and their palms pressed against the cell wall.

The journalists were all wearing bulletproof jackets clearly marked "press".

A spokeswoman for the US military's coalition press and information centre in Baghdad hung up when the Guardian asked her to comment.

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 13 January 2004 11:18 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is a frightening story.

The so-called snap judgements of the soldiers are bad enough; but that the brass seem so intent on denying clear errors (and that's a charitable interpretation) is worse, and perhaps what authorizes the brutal behaviour of the soldiers with their suspects.

The G+M's version of the story this a.m. includes a report that a Reuters correspondent who dared to raise this subject at a press briefing in Iraq was ushered out of the room by soldiers and ordered to drop his queries henceforth.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 13 January 2004 11:25 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PS: When I wrote "henceforth" there, do you think I meant "forthwith"? I am staring at that and frankly can't figure it out.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 13 January 2004 11:30 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
(Did someone call for a pendant?

Yes, I think "forthwith" would go better there, skdadl).

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 13 January 2004 11:30 AM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought you meant henceforth.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 13 January 2004 11:49 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's go with "forthwith and henceforth."

Thank you, guyth.

(Ith anyone elth lithping?)

[ 13 January 2004: Message edited by: skdadl ]

Kevin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3645

posted 13 January 2004 12:17 PM      Profile for Kevin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeth.

But I saw this coming from a while ago, when US soldiers shot up a truck clearly marked "PRESS" and "TV", containing, I think, British journalists.

From: Simon Fraser University | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 13 January 2004 12:22 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The shelling of both the local al-Jazeera unit and the Palestine Hotel (filled with non-embedded journalists) was a blatant attack on the independent press -- and yet it seems there is no recourse.

The imperial troops seem to have been licensed to intimidate all but the "friendlies."

[ 13 January 2004: Message edited by: skdadl ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca