babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » 1 in 10 lifeforms doomed by 2050

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: 1 in 10 lifeforms doomed by 2050
hell-to-pay
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3844

posted 08 January 2004 04:06 AM      Profile for hell-to-pay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hope y'all had a merry non-denominational holiday, 'cause it's time to start worrying again...
an unnatural disaster

Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 08 January 2004 04:20 AM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is the actual report online? Was Canada included in the survey?
hell-to-pay
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3844

posted 08 January 2004 04:32 AM      Profile for hell-to-pay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
sorry, i don't have the actual report; maybe there's a link somewhere on the Guardian?
i kinda just got caught up in the sheer panic of the article title. i believe it can be translated into smilie-speak as a double- !
as for the actual scientific process behind the findings, well, i'm no ecologist, so i can't vouch for their conclusions. Hey!! wouldn't it be great if we were all wrong and the Republicans were all right about global warming? not that they've proven themselves to be champions of rationalism or anything....

Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 08 January 2004 07:23 AM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
thanks anyway, the Star article has more details specific to Canada.

No, the study did not include Canada, but they did say that Arctic species are especially sensitive, including the Polar Bear.

The Star had a bit more on methodology, they assumed a temp increase of 1.5, and used only species-area relationship to determine reductions. both making it conservative estimates.

I wish someone would do this for Canada. For every country actually.

Yeah I keep thinking we should be able to peel Christians off the right with the environment issue but I guess not.

[ 08 January 2004: Message edited by: Tackaberry ]

redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 08 January 2004 11:24 AM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
how's your mid-winter depression doing?seems to be ample food for thought, even if its no good for anything else, and probably doomed in fifty years anyway.we really are strolling merrily along , whistling past the graveyard, now that the canary died.

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=13&ItemID=4774

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.asp?id=8744A912-B526-4A76-80FD-A10B71E763EB

what do you think of our chances of making the list.cockroaches win

[ 08 January 2004: Message edited by: redshift ]

madman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4436

posted 08 January 2004 12:10 PM      Profile for madman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Funny

When I was in school (late 70's) we were being warned about the impending ice age. Scientists must have been wrong.

From: Republic of western Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
hibachi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 956

posted 08 January 2004 12:21 PM      Profile for hibachi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I sure wish they could ship any of their global warming my way.
From: Toronto, Ont. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 08 January 2004 12:24 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
When I was in school (late 70's) we were being warned about the impending ice age. Scientists must have been wrong.

Where exaclty did you go to school, madman? Hum, I'm starting to put some pieces of the puzzle together here...

From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
madman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4436

posted 08 January 2004 12:54 PM      Profile for madman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you deny that science was predicting another ice age?
From: Republic of western Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kevin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3645

posted 08 January 2004 12:56 PM      Profile for Kevin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think that is what Hinterland said - I think Hinterland was asking which school you went to.

Me, I go to Terry Fox Secondary. And we're not predicting an ice age here. In fact, the science teachers are predicting ice caps melting.

From: Simon Fraser University | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 08 January 2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I remember those. Galloping glaciers in Greenland, and all that.

Quite aside from the science, it can't be good pumping all the crap into our environment. We need to stop it. Simple as that. I don't see any hope until the US administration is willing to force their corporate elite to clean up their act wherever they operate. Which means: I don't see any hope.

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca