babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Neo-Nazi group takes message to turnpike

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Neo-Nazi group takes message to turnpike
Snuckles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2764

posted 06 January 2004 03:48 AM      Profile for Snuckles   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The same violent neo-Nazi club that inspired the Oklahoma City bomber is advertising for new members on a billboard in Orlando's back yard.

On Florida's Turnpike, just over the Lake County line in Sumter County, there's a plain billboard with a black background and big block letters in the style of the "Got Milk?" ads.

It reads in part "WHO RULE$ AMERIKA?" Then it gives a Web address.

That goes to the home page of the National Alliance, a group founded in the early 1970s as a spinoff of the American Nazi Party. (Spelling America with a K is a nod to German Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.)

Read it here.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 06 January 2004 04:49 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
(It should be noted, though, that leftists often spell America as Amerika to indicate their belief that it is essentially a quasi-fascist, right-wing state)
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 06 January 2004 10:11 AM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It should also be noted that people who spell America with a K are also generally assholes of the highest order, whether left or right.

In university I had a roommate who used to put his stamps on envelopes upside-down as a statement against the monarchy. I was unable to persuade him that, rather than be interpreted as an anti-monarchist statement, those few noticing it would simply assume he's a slob.

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 January 2004 10:16 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Newbie:
It should also be noted that people who spell America with a K are also generally assholes of the highest order, whether left or right.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 06 January 2004 10:25 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
... unless they are Germans, of course .
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 06 January 2004 10:25 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also chuckle whenever I see Kapitalism, or even better, KKKapitalism, KKKops, Amerikkka, etc.
It's a good clue that you're in for an amusing dogma-and-pony show.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 06 January 2004 10:44 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All the K stuff aside, the National Alliance sounds like a very nasty and very scary bunch. Funny how any whiff of association with "Al Qaida" would have got such a sign pulled down under the Patriot Act, notwithstanding the US First Amendment guarantees. But here we have a group with ties to McVeigh (and perhaps others in league with McVeigh who are still alive and out there) involved in a horrible terrorist act that killed hundreds of innocent people ... including a DAY CARE CENTRE .
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 06 January 2004 10:52 AM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magoo:
I also chuckle whenever I see Kapitalism, or even better, KKKapitalism, KKKops, Amerikkka, etc.
It's a good clue that you're in for an amusing dogma-and-pony show.

I admit, I do use the term KKKristian as a shorthand term for the religious right, but I do that to distinguish them from real Christians.

While I'm an atheist myself, there are many Christians I respect and admire, and I really dislike the thought that Bill Blaikie and Jason Kenney are both described as Christians.

quote:
... unless they are Germans, of course

Für sicheres (my apologies if Google turned "for sure" into something inappropriate.)

[ 06 January 2004: Message edited by: Newbie ]

Snuckles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2764

posted 06 January 2004 03:50 PM      Profile for Snuckles   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The company that owns the billboard shouldn't be surprised if the billboard becomes a target for rotten eggs, or someone with a can of gasoline and a match.
humbleman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4522

posted 06 January 2004 07:14 PM      Profile for humbleman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whats the surprise here? Reactionary forces in the western world are organizing and gaining influence. People in the western world are searching for answers to many questions that many considered to be settled. As I see it we face 2 great challenges of our time. A new industrial revolution and globalization of commerce.

This is an example of right wing reactionarism, the traditional right wing party in the US is the Republicans. But republican party is the party of the establishment and I somewhat doubt it will be reactionary vechile of the right. On the left I doubt the democrats will be the reactionary party. So its a guessing game really the reationary impluses will translate in functional political movements. The American system is very unkind to 3rd parties.

In Canada I thought that the alliance was a perfect party for right wing reactionary politics. But now with its melding into the conservative party the bay street suits will temper the more extreme reactionary elements(its bad for business . The liberals I really have no idea how they will respond the reactionary politics. I have seen it argued that the liberal party by its very nature is the most reactionary party in Canada. But its entrenched interests will keep it from moving to far in any direction. The liberal party is not the reactionary politics, not even reactionary nationalism. And that leaves the NDP, I suspect NPI was an example of minor reactionarism.

I expect more reactionarism on both fronts.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 08 January 2004 02:17 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is a Guardian story about an even scarier group in the US:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1118162,00.html

US extremists to be sentenced over bomb plot

Texas couple had arsenal capable of killing thousands

Three Americans are due to be sentenced next month for their involvement in a plot to explode a cyanide bomb capable of killing thousands of people, in a case that has served as a reminder that homegrown terrorism is still a menace in a country permanently braced for another attack from abroad. It is still unclear for what the bomb and the arsenal of other weapons unearthed in the small town of Noonday, Texas, would have been used.

The conspirators - rightwing extremists who were caught with forged identity passes to the United Nations and the Pentagon, and a variety of racist and anti-government pamphlets - have refused to cooperate with investigators, who believe others involved in the plot may still be at large.

The central figure in the case, William Krar, is a small-scale manufacturer of gun components who has pleaded guilty to possessing a chemical weapon and faces a possible life sentence. (...)

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 08 January 2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I totally agree with Newbie on something. Watch out for flying pigs!

quote:
Originally posted by humbleman:
Whats the surprise here? Reactionary forces in the western world are organizing and gaining influence. People in the western world are searching for answers to many questions that many considered to be settled. As I see it we face 2 great challenges of our time. A new industrial revolution and globalization of commerce.

This is an example of right wing reactionarism, the traditional right wing party in the US is the Republicans. But republican party is the party of the establishment and I somewhat doubt it will be reactionary vechile of the right. On the left I doubt the democrats will be the reactionary party. So its a guessing game really the reationary impluses will translate in functional political movements. The American system is very unkind to 3rd parties.

Umm... the National Alliance is not reactionary.

Reactionaries want to go back to the "good old days". The National Alliance's dream is not reactionary because their perfect society has never existed. The only thing that has ever come close is Nazi Germany, but even that was a far cry from what the NA wackos want. Whites at one time used to have hegemony in Canada, but never at any point in history was Canada "pure" like the National Alliancers want it.

I don't think that the billboard should be vandalized. The website it points to, on the other hand, is a prime canidate for a little hacktivism

Failing that, doesn't the USA have any hate speech laws? Someone could just report those guys to the authorities....

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
hibachi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 956

posted 08 January 2004 03:56 PM      Profile for hibachi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hate speech is fiercely defended in the USA by the ACLU. It is a matter of free speech.
From: Toronto, Ont. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 08 January 2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ACLU Defends Nazis' Right To Burn Down ACLU Headquarters

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 January 2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That was laugh-out-loud funny, Magoo, but I don't think you need to be told what's wrong with the analogy, do you?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 09 January 2004 01:04 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wasn't trying to make any kind of analogy... I just always loved that one & reflexively posted it when I saw the letters "ACLU" in the post above.
Peacefulnotion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3461

posted 09 January 2004 01:11 AM      Profile for Peacefulnotion     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's an interesting excerpt on the National Alliance:

U.S. Anti-Semites: Call the Malaysian Embassy!

Anti-Semitic extremists in the United States have publicized and celebrated Mahathir's remarks to the point of encouraging like-minded supporters to contact the Malaysian embassy to voice support for the prime minister's sentiments about Jews.

"Call in and express your support for the truthful remarks made by the Malay PM which our own sellout white traitor politicians wouldn't dare speak!!!!!!," said a message published to an online forum sponsored by the neo-Nazi site Stormfront. "Jews are jamming the phone lines of the Malaysian embassy in opposition to the truth about themselves…"

"The people at the Embassy were very, very happy when they spoke with a National Alliance member from Florida that called and did just that," said a posting on a forum sponsored by the hate music label Resistance Records. "We need another 1,000 people to call … to save your race should you think about your reasons for being here."

Here's the link to the article: http://www.adl.org/PresRele/ASInt_13/4388_13.htm

http://www.adl.org/anti_semitism/arab/as_arabmedia_12_03/default.asp

rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 09 January 2004 08:42 AM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snuckles:
The company that owns the billboard shouldn't be surprised if the billboard becomes a target for rotten eggs, or someone with a can of gasoline and a match.

Note to conspiracy theorists: check for links between local billboard company and egg farmers.

By the way, just wanted to note that while there are no hate speech laws in the United States, there is nothing that requires anyone (or a corporation) to do anything to facilitate anyone else's free speech. Were this an American board, and someone posted stuff like the billboard message, Audra would be just as able to delete and ban as she is in Canada.

You can bet that if someone wanted to put up a billboard showing an artistic rendering of George W. Bush engaging in receptive anal intercourse with Osama Bin Laden, they would not have met with success.

[ 09 January 2004: Message edited by: Newbie ]

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 09 January 2004 04:42 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Also creepy.

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mush
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3934

posted 09 January 2004 04:57 PM      Profile for Mush     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Holy crap!

From: Mrs. Fabro's Tiny Town | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 09 January 2004 06:12 PM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
According to the web registration, It's been around since 2000 and according to the web counter it's had 8491 hits. Not exactly a mass movement -- the name of the mass movement for people with these beliefs is the Conservative Party.

They don't seem to be Nazi-like, just rabid anti-gay and anti-choice bigots.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca