babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Will the French indict Cheney?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Will the French indict Cheney?
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 05 January 2004 04:35 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's hope.

The Nation

quote:
Yet another sordid chapter in the murky annals of Halliburton might well lead to the indictment of Dick Cheney by a French court on charges of bribery, money-laundering and misuse of corporate assets.

At the heart of the matter is a $6 billion gas liquification factory built in Nigeria on behalf of oil mammoth Shell by Halliburton--the company Cheney headed before becoming Vice President--in partnership with a large French petroengineering company, Technip. Nigeria has been rated by the anticorruption watchdog Transparency International as the second-most corrupt country in the world, surpassed only by Bangladesh.

One of France's best-known investigating magistrates, Judge Renaud van Ruymbeke--who came to fame by unearthing major French campaign finance scandals in the 1990s that led to a raft of indictments--has been conducting a probe of the Nigeria deal since October. And, three days before Christmas, the Paris daily Le Figaro front-paged the news that Judge van Ruymbeke had notified the Justice Ministry that Cheney might be among those eventually indicted as a result of his investigation.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 January 2004 08:38 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Great story. Excellent way to start the New Year. I wonder whether Slim is around with that popcorn.

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 05 January 2004 10:07 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I haven't read the article, but the question I have is, will an indictment by a French court hurt Cheney politically, or help him?
From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 05 January 2004 10:21 AM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd think it depends on the spin.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 January 2004 10:30 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're thinking of all those folks down in the land of the Freedom Fries, aren't you, rasmus.

Well, sure, those folks are going to react defensively at first, although Cheney certainly has his critics down there too. But even the defensive are going to learn something about him, something more. All this chip-chip-chips away, I think, at his reputation at least, and maybe at something broader -- people keep being reminded, whether they want to be or not, that the leaders of their country have substantial and often murky private business lives. I like to see that hammered home again and again.

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 05 January 2004 01:14 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 January 2004 01:18 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have seen Dick Cheney, Gir. He doesn't look like that at all.

Lynne, mind you ...

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 05 January 2004 07:05 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why Gir, are you comparing the Vice President of the US of A looks with some sort of giant deformed rat?
From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 05 January 2004 07:26 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or just his accounting practices?
From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca