babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Saddam not captured, handed over, claims British newspaper

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Saddam not captured, handed over, claims British newspaper
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 21 December 2003 07:18 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Saddam Hussein may not have been so much captured by the US as handed over by a Kurdish group, an article in Britain's Sunday Express claims on the basis of interviews with intelligence sources.

See here

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eauz
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3057

posted 21 December 2003 08:07 PM      Profile for Eauz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well it wouldn't suprise me the fact that most of this war has been about fake achievments. ie: Visiting the troops with a Turkey, Iraqi WMD, and going back to where it all started, the election of Bush. Though, one can't just blame Bush, the whole American Government system has been using such ideas for ever.
From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 21 December 2003 08:52 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A friend who is often kept awake by his medication was up when the story first broke. As it was breaking, the story was that Kurdish forces had handed Saddam over to the US. (No explanation of where, or what the Kurdish forces were doing -- presumably, the US is using them to do some dirty work, standard counter-insurgency practice). Within an hour or two the story had changed, so that US forces captured Saddam "with the aid" of Kurdish forces. By the time broad daylight hit, it had become the story we now know and love.

Glad to see someone is trying to keep on top of this.

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 21 December 2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think a few days ago someone mentioned in one of the threads on the topic of Saddam's capture that they thought he was probably captured by bounty hunters and "sold" to the US rather than captured by the US itself. Wouldn't surprise me.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 21 December 2003 10:38 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that was me. I said it seemed possible, though not proven, that Saddam had been a prisoner of someone who then sold him to the Ameircans.

His "spiderhole" had no ladder, making it seem more like a prison to me. And I do not recall any interviews with the troops who took him prisoner themselves. Rather, the generals and pr guys told how it happened.

Then, Saddam's possession of a pistol and lack of resistance seemed heaven-sent to undercut him among Iraqis.

And very suspicious to me was the American Congressman who claimed that he had inside knowledge that Saddam would be captured "very soon", and the capture came four days later.

Still, I do not think the first story has been disproven; only that there are reasons to disbelieve it.

There are reasons to believe the first version, too. For example, if the Americans were concocting a story about Saddam for public consumption, I think they would have said he was running the entire resistance.

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 21 December 2003 11:21 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Except that they really know it's not true, so the short-term gain in that would have been more than offest by the continued resistance.
From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 21 December 2003 11:28 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Then, Saddam's possession of a pistol and lack of resistance seemed heaven-sent to undercut him among Iraqis.

While the official reports said he had a pistol and a couple of AK 47s, they didn't mention whether he had any ammunition...

[ 21 December 2003: Message edited by: al-Qa'bong ]

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 07 January 2004 02:40 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Saddam's capture, did anyone notice that the dates on the trees nearby were not ripe in the pictures? A friend of mine happened to pick this up somewhere, and relayed this to me. If this is true it means Saddam Hussein has been incommunicado for at least three months and could not possibly have been responsible for directing that sums of monies be paid out to people to continue a back-door guerilla warfare program.

(Relocated from elsewhere)

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 07 January 2004 06:35 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the first few stories on british media attributed the capture to "kurdish and US special forces with the assistance of iranian agents", and make of it what you will, the first news of the arrest was on iranian media. so it may not just have been the kurdish role that has been erased.
From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Youngfox.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4102

posted 07 January 2004 09:17 AM      Profile for Youngfox.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who captured Saddam Hussein?
this site includes 30+ links to world media outlets that reported the truth behind this latest American propaganda ploy.

"Hussein was betrayed to the Kurds by a member of the al-Jabour tribe because Hussein's son Uday had raped a daughter of the tribe. Saddam had previously paid 7 million pounds in blood money to the tribe with the warning that he would wipe out the entire tribe if it ever came out.
(Sify report)

He was then handed over to the Kurdish Patriotic Front who negotiated a deal with US forces for political power before drugging and abandoning Hussein for pickup. Ultimately he ended up in the hands of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) led by Jalal Talabani (Aljazeera)

Hussein could not escape the hole in which he was recovered because the entrance had been sealed."

Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 07 January 2004 11:53 AM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Say, whatever happened to Saddam, anyway? Are they planning a Super Bowl halftime show appearance where he's led around Houston's Reliant Stadium in chains by a beaming Dubya?
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 07 January 2004 03:26 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:

While the official reports said he had a pistol and a couple of AK 47s, they didn't mention whether he had any ammunition...

[ 21 December 2003: Message edited by: al-Qa'bong ]

Hmph! He should have bludgeoned himself to death with them!

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca