FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Countdown to 2010 Olympic bid

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Countdown to 2010 Olympic bid
Wide Eyes
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1414

posted 28 June 2003 01:01 AM      Profile for Wide Eyes        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Until, today if you asked me if I support the 2010 bid for Vancouver, I would have said yes. But then I saw it from a different angle (the althletes) some of who believe that the money the feds and BC are spending in getting the bid could be used for development programs and training camps and general support for our athletes (the amatuers - not the pros). It doesn't make sense to have two Olympic facilities, each of which cost hundreds of millions of $$, only an hour's flight apart. I guess I've had mixed feelings about this, being a former athlete, but when you look at our althletes' performances in the past couple of Olympics compared to other countries that are less well off, it's pitiful.

What pisses me off the most about all this money the governments are promising to throw around, (ie. has available to throw around)like the $100M from the feds is that it will all vanish if Vancouver loses the bid.

It seems pretty obvious that this is more about Campbell is lining friends' pockets in Vancouver with public money than helping the rest of BC's economy - or supporting the athletes.

From: a lofty perch in my basement | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca