babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic

Email this thread to someone!
Author Topic: Right (of way) Whales get special lane in Bay of Fundy
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 27 June 2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Shipping lane changes into Saint John

quote:
Altered shipping lanes in the Bay of Fundy to protect the endangered North Atlantic right whale will take effect July 1, the federal government announced Thursday.

It's been about four years since conservationists, shippers, fishermen, whale watchers and Ottawa began discussing the lane changes.

After getting approval from the International Marine Organization in London, England, the lanes were changed to ensure ships 20 metres or longer will avoid the whales' summer feeding grounds.

"It is good news, and I say that with pretty big reservations," said Deborah Tobin of East Coast Ecosystems in Freeport, Digby County. She has been researching the mammals for 15 years.

"Right whales move freely, obviously. Nobody tells them when a shipping lane moves. So they move in response to where the food is. There will still be right whales and ships in the same area. Ultimately, we can hope that over the years this will cut down on the risk of collisions."

The North Atlantic right whale makes its home along the eastern seaboard, from the Bay of Fundy to Florida.

I hope this is not a case of too little, too late. There are only 350 of these animals left on earth.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
CanadianCrone
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3896

posted 28 June 2003 11:42 AM      Profile for CanadianCrone        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Rec'd this email:
We need your immediate support as we go to trial in a case that is critical to
> [...]
> litigators will face off against the Bush
> administration in federal court, with
> the safety of entire populations of whales and
> dolphins at risk.
>
> This long-awaited courtroom battle is the
> culmination of our eight-year campaign to stop the U.S. Navy from illegally deploying its Low Frequency Active (LFA) sonar system -- a new technology that blasts ocean habitats with noise so intense it can maim, deafen and even kill marine mammals.
>
> I hope you'll go to
> https://www.nrdc.org/joinGive/join/lfa.asp right now to make an online emergency contribution in support of this historic case.
>
> What's at stake? Consider: last year, the Bush
> administration issued the Navy a
> permit to deploy LFA sonar over 75 percent of the world's oceans and to harass or injure up to 12 percent of every single marine mammal species found anywhere in this vast expanse of ocean!
>
> But before that disaster could unfold, your support enabled NRDC to race to court last fall and win a dramatic eleventh-hour reprieve for thousands of whales and dolphins. A federal judge blocked global deployment of the sonar system until a full trial could be held and all the evidence heard.
>
> That all-important proceeding will begin on June
> 30th. It will determine whether this dangerous technology is finally unleashed upon our planet's
> oceans -- or whether it should be permanently
> blocked until the Navy obeys the law and demonstrates that LFA would not cause
> serious harm to ocean life.
>
> Scientists are warning that LFA sonar may threaten the very survival of entire populations of whales, some already teetering on the brink of extinction. At close range, the system's shock waves are so intense they can destroy a whale's eardrums, cause its lungs to hemorrhage, and even kill.
>
> Further away, LFA noise can cause permanent hearing loss in marine mammals after a single transmission. At 40 miles away, LFA noise is still so intense it can disrupt the mating, feeding, nursing and other essential activities of marine mammals.
>
> Two years ago, the mere testing of high-intensity Navy sonar in mid-frequency
> range caused a mass stranding of whales in the
> Bahamas. Whales from at least three different species died, their inner ears bleeding from the explosive power of the sonar signal.
>
> Just last month, a group of biologists off the coast of Washington state witnessed a "stampede" of distressed marine mammals as a U.S. destroyer,
> operating a powerful mid-frequency sonar system,
> passed through. Over the next several days, ten porpoises were discovered stranded on nearby beaches.
>
> And the dangers go beyond marine mammals. In
> preparing for the upcoming trial,
> NRDC has uncovered the shocking results of the
> Navy's own LFA research on human
> scuba divers. One Navy test subject was exposed to 14 minutes of LFA noise at 160 decibels --
far below the level of 235 decibels at which the actual LFA system will be operating. The diver experienced uncontrollable shaking in his
> limbs and lapsed into a seizure-like state that
> recurred periodically for days.
> The Navy's report described him as a "casualty."
>
> The Bush administration wants us to believe that the impacts of LFA will be negligible! Launching a massive acoustic assault on the world's oceans is not negligible. Threatening communities of whales, dolphins and humans with injury and death is not negligible.
>
> The Bush administration's position on LFA is
> arrogant, inhumane and, almost
> certainly, illegal. But we cannot stop the
> deployment of this technological menace
unless we have the financial resources to
> fight this courtroom battle to
> the very end and win a permanent ban.
>
> Again, I urge you to help by going to
> https://www.nrdc.org/joinGive/join/lfa.asp right now and making an online emergency contribution.
>
> With your help, we can make sure that no more whales have to suffer and die from high-power sonar.
Let me know you'll stand with us at this critical moment in the fight to protect all ocean life. Thank you.

From: Toronto | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged