babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Brutal Gay Bashings Near Toronto's Village

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Brutal Gay Bashings Near Toronto's Village
statica
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1420

posted 26 June 2003 09:22 AM      Profile for statica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Vicious Gay Bashings As Police Chief Fetes Gay Community Blocks Away

by Jack Siu
365Gay.com Newscenter
Toronto Bureau

Posted: June 25, 2003 11:42 a.m. ET

(Toronto, Ontario) As Toronto police chief Julian Fantino was praising the work of his force in making the city safe for gays and lesbians, four blocks away two gay men were attacked by masked thugs.

"The thing I am most proud of is that there is a great understanding between the police and the gay community," Fantino told several hundred people at his annual reception in the Gay Village to mark the beginning of Pride Week in Toronto.

At the same time, about 5:30 in the afternoon, in broad daylight, a man was taunted about being gay and beaten by a gang of men near Wellesley and Ontario Streets. Several hours later, as the chief's party was wrapping up, there was a second vicious swarming in the same area, which put one of three male cyclistsin hospital. The same attackers are suspected.

"We'll do our utmost to contribute to the quality of life, safety and security in the community in every respect and be conscientious about your needs and vulnerability," Fantino told the private reception for leaders of gay community.

Along with Fantino at the party were nearly a dozen other high ranking police officials. The chief was not told about the attacks until after he had left the reception.

Investigators said there were five men the five men involved in the first attack and the gang had swollen to about 10 in the second. The identities of the two victims have not been released. The first man attacked received only minor injuries. In the second case, the victim was beaten and hit with a shovel. He is listed in serious condition at Toronto General Hospital.

Police say they are pursuing the first attack as a hate crime, but because no homophobic epithets were used in the second, Det.-Sgt. Tom Russell, said it would be harder to prove as a hate motivated.

article

LittleDoucheCoupe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4221

posted 26 June 2003 10:02 AM      Profile for LittleDoucheCoupe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hate crimes are a joke. What matters is that the person was attacked. PERIOD. The idiots who did the attacking should get the asses locked in jail for as long as allowed by law PERIOD.

We wouldn't have to worry about giving people stronger punishment for 'hate' crimes if we just gave appropriate sentencing for ALL crimes.

After all, if I hit a stranger on the street, it must mean that I hate him/her/it. The identifiable group that he/she/it belongs to could be as small as the group of one that inhabits his/her/its body. Does that mean that I hit them (tired of typing him/her/it) out of hate for their group?? No, it means that I hit them out of whatever locked up rage that came loose for whatever reason my mind came up with. And I should be dealt with appropriately. If I say "Take that, idiot!" whilst doing the hitting, does that mean that I'm prejudiced against idiots? Well, maybe. But it shouldn't make a difference in my sentencing.

Throw the book at the pricks regardless of victim.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 26 June 2003 10:13 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This subject already has a thread here.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca