FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Lester Maddox Bites the Dust

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Lester Maddox Bites the Dust
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 25 June 2003 02:15 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know how newsworthy this is, but former Georgia Governor, Lester Maddox went to that big lunch counter in the sky today.

[ 25 June 2003: Message edited by: al-Qa'bong ]

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 25 June 2003 02:20 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
(psst... Al-Q... you're linking to a story about the Palestinians... here's the Lester Maddox story).

Were I St. Peter, I'd make him go around to the back entrance.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 25 June 2003 02:23 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bah, that CBC site's been messin' with me. Either that or Freud's working overtime.

Here's a tune that features Lester Maddox. It isn't really about Maddox, but he's mentioned nevertheless.

quote:
Rednecks
Randy Newman
Good Old Boys

Last night I saw Lester Maddox on a TV show
With some smart ass New York Jew
And the Jew laughed at Lester Maddox
And the audience laughed at Lester Maddox too
Well he may be a fool but he's our fool
If they think they're better than him they're wrong
So I went to the park and I took some paper along
And that's where I made this song

We talk real funny down here
We drink too much and we laugh too loud
We're too dumb to make it in no Northern town
And we're keepin' the niggers down

We got no-necked oilmen from Texas
And good ol' boys from Tennessee
And colleges men from LSU
Went in dumb. Come out dumb too
Hustlin' 'round Atlanta in their alligator shoes
Gettin' drunk every weekend at the barbecues
And they're keepin' the niggers down

CHORUS
We're rednecks, rednecks
And we don't know our ass from a hole in the ground
We're rednecks, we're rednecks
And we're keeping the niggers down

Now your northern nigger's a Negro
You see he's got his dignity
Down here we're too ignorant to realize
That the North has set the nigger free

Yes he's free to be put in a cage
In Harlem in New York City
And he's free to be put in a cage on the South-Side of Chicago
And the West-Side
And he's free to be put in a cage in Hough in Cleveland
And he's free to be put in a cage in East St. Louis
And he's free to be put in a cage in Fillmore in San Francisco
And he's free to be put in a cage in Roxbury in Boston
They're gatherin' 'em up from miles around
Keepin' the niggers down

Now if you'll excuse me, apparently I have links to fix.

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 25 June 2003 02:42 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I happened to see the show to which the song refers. Most Babblers are too young to have been up watching Dick Cavett at such an hour, (heck most babblers weren't born then) but I was a regular viewer.

Dick was interviewing then Gov. Maddox, and asked him a question relating to bigots who voted for him. Maddox got in a snit and demanded an apology. Cavett rephrased the question to "among those who voted for you who were bigots", which didn't please Maddox any more. Cavett refuse to apologise, and Maddox walked off the show in a huff, in the company of his bodygaurd who was a very sturdy looking Georgia State Trooper.

It was early television viewing hisory. Made the papers big time throughout the south. Maddox was one nasty dude. If there's a heavan, I don't think he's in it.

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 25 June 2003 03:04 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, you really are old!

I heard Harold Ballard's chat with David Frum's mum on As it Happens. Frum later made a reply about being a "broad" caster that was fairly funny. Sandy Good did a weird interview on that show after Squeaky tried to kill Gerald Ford.

Well, that's my nonsense about great media moments. Back to regular programming.

Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 25 June 2003 03:15 PM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a hazy recollection of that show oldgoat. Wasn't Truman Capote somehow involved?
From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 25 June 2003 03:23 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyBrogan:
I have a hazy recollection of that show oldgoat. Wasn't Truman Capote somehow involved?

Truman was a frequent guest on the show and may have been on that evening. Truman Capote and Lester Maddox in the same room. That'd be wild.

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 25 June 2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My thoughts on the death of Lester Maddox are pretty much the same as they are on the demise of (Alberta) Report:

He won't be missed and I wish it had happened long ago.

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 25 June 2003 04:16 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Randy Newman is a hilarious genius.

"Boom goes London, boom Paree,
More room for you, and more room for me...

We'll save Australia.
Don't wanna hurt no kangaroo.
We'll build an all American amusement park there.
They got surfin' too."

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 25 June 2003 04:23 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Genius indeed. And this...

quote:
We'll build an all American amusement park there.
They got surfin' too."

... was several years before Apocalypse Now.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca