babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Space impact 'saved Christianity'

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Space impact 'saved Christianity'
Snuckles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2764

posted 25 June 2003 01:20 PM      Profile for Snuckles   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Did a meteor over central Italy in AD 312 change the course of Roman and Christian history?
A team of geologists believes it has found the incoming space rock's impact crater, and dating suggests its formation coincided with the celestial vision said to have converted a future Roman emperor to Christianity.

Read it here.

paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 25 June 2003 01:33 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very interesting. A couple of thoughts.

- This kind of event isn't that great a fit to what Constantine and others said they saw. Other scholars suggest different astronomical phenomena are a better fit.

- I think that when Christianity has become entwined with the state, it loses much of its focus on the teachings of the historical Jesus. I'm not sure, therefore, that it was "saved" by Constantine. One might argue it was badly corrupted.

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 25 June 2003 03:56 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
- I think that when Christianity has become entwined with the state, it loses much of its focus on the teachings of the historical Jesus. I'm not sure, therefore, that it was "saved" by Constantine. One might argue it was badly corrupted.

Good point. It changed the Church incredibly. The reigning Pope at the time of the conversion of Constantine, St Miltiades, was the last of the old style Popes who governed a church that was under persecution, had little real property, and lived an underground secretive (from the state) existance. He was a relatively simple man, and when Constantine called him before him, Miltiades was probably terrified.

He was given by the Emperor as his residence, an unused fixer upper of a palace belonging to an old Roman Family called the Latarini. Susequent Popes tarted the place up a bit and called it the Lateran Palace. Not living much longer, he was replaced by Sylvester I, an educated and sophisticated Roman who understood the uses of wealth and of the tools of power. The church now had property, wealth, and a standing army at it's disposal. (it kept the army until 1878 I think)

It couldn't have changed more dramatically or suddenly from the church of Jesus, St. Paul, and the other early church fathers.

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca