babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Argentine Dirty War general jailed for anti-semitic remarks

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Argentine Dirty War general jailed for anti-semitic remarks
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 25 June 2003 09:41 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No surprise. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3019090.stm

Spanish-speaking babblers can refer to the excellent left-wing daily Pagina/12 www.pagina12.com.ar for continued coverage of attempts to bring this and other Dirty Warriors to justice.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
LittleDoucheCoupe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4221

posted 25 June 2003 10:20 AM      Profile for LittleDoucheCoupe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Aww c'mon....he's just preaching to the German sunbirds that make up half the population down there. Tell the people what they wanna hear. Sounds rather Manley-ly.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 25 June 2003 10:44 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome to babble, LDC. But could you try to keep the overgeneralizations based on ethnicity to a minimum? All Germans aren't anti-Semites.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LittleDoucheCoupe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4221

posted 25 June 2003 11:15 AM      Profile for LittleDoucheCoupe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh don't tell me this place doesn't appreciate a little sarcasm. If so, I shan't waste my time.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 25 June 2003 11:16 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We appreciate sarcasm, just not generalizations based on ethnicity. I'm sure you understand, having read the babble policy that you agreed to when you created your account.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 25 June 2003 11:21 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey! Nobody here appreciates sarcasm. Especially not me. I won't stand for it. A grotesque sarcasm accident actually killed my pappy, if you must know.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 25 June 2003 11:26 AM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here in Toronto, we're especially sensitive about sarscasm.
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 25 June 2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Funny though that he's been jailed for nasty remarks, rather than, say, having people thrown out of airplanes.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
LittleDoucheCoupe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4221

posted 25 June 2003 11:46 AM      Profile for LittleDoucheCoupe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh those damned Nazis. How dare you paint all Nazis as bad people. I'm sure some of them were adept in the use of natural gas for it's intended purpose, not just those of a madman. It appears that some people take the words which appear on this board just a tad too seriously.

Or is that an unfair painting of everyone on here?

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 25 June 2003 11:54 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...but ah my friends, and oh my foes...

Sarcasm's swell. Irony is a good one too.

The guy is a mass murderer.
No big deal.

He says he doesn't trust Jews.
He gets jailed for being an antisemite.

Did he get jailed because of the murders , and the comments were a useful pretext (think Al Capone), or is the world even more screwed up than I think it is?

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 25 June 2003 11:58 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You didn't say Nazis, you said Germans. All Germans are not Nazis, not even Germans who relocated to South America.
4t2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3655

posted 25 June 2003 12:02 PM      Profile for 4t2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ 25 June 2003: Message edited by: 4t2 ]

From: Beyond the familiar... | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 25 June 2003 12:02 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Al, I'm inclined to think the comments were a useful pretext, something they were able to pin on them, having read the relevant articles in pagina12.com.ar as well. Remember, this is not just some old racist coot droning on in a bar. He was involved in neo-Nazi groups in Argentina long ago. At least 2000 of the 30.000 disappeared (including the son of renowned poet Juan Gelman) were of Jewish origin and Nazi regalia and slogans were very much a feature of the concentration camps in Argentina.

Racism also targeted "los Negros", not folks of African heritage as one might think, but Meztizo folks from the provinces with a lot of Aboriginal blood. In a shocking recent incident, a Bolivian Native woman and her child were thrown from a train by racists.

4t2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3655

posted 25 June 2003 12:02 PM      Profile for 4t2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDoucheCoupe:
Or is that an unfair painting of everyone on here?

Sort of. But when you start off with "Aww c'mon....he's just preaching to the German sunbirds that make up half the population down there" and then wonder why we're trying to protect Nazis, can you see why people are a wee bit puzzled?

From: Beyond the familiar... | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 25 June 2003 12:08 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although Peron's protection of Nazi war criminals was notorious, the vast majority of German immigrants to Argentina and Brazil were normal economic migrants. They include the ancestors of Argentina's current president, Nestor Kirschner. Many of them settled in the south of the country. In Brazil, there were many Germans among the settlers in Rio Grande do Sul, the southern province of which Porto Alegre is the capital.

German immigration to Argentina is significant, but Italians, mostly Northern Italians, were the largest single immigrant group. The head of the Argentinian neo-nazi parti is named Hector Biondini.

LittleDoucheCoupe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4221

posted 25 June 2003 12:40 PM      Profile for LittleDoucheCoupe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Point taken.

I shall no longer call all Germans Nazis. Although Nazis are indeed whom I was referring to, I can see how sensitive people are to making a sarcastic comment regarding the people in question. Mind you, the Nazi population of Argentina is unlikely to include many non-Germans.

As for Germans, I wish their women would shave more frequently.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 25 June 2003 01:09 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quit trolling, LDC. Sexist comments like that are not welcome either. I think you know it too. I'm sure it's lots of fun for you to come on a progressive board with your borderline offensive alias and making your borderline racist/sexist remarks. But this is not the place to make rude comments and generalizations about the personal hygiene of the women of a certain nationality or ethnicity.

I think this is enough warning.

[ 25 June 2003: Message edited by: Michelle ]

LittleDoucheCoupe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4221

posted 25 June 2003 02:12 PM      Profile for LittleDoucheCoupe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good Lord. Or rather, Deity of Positive Influence.
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 25 June 2003 02:20 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Michelle, how patient! That was a disgusting sexist and ethnocentric comment.

Strange anyone would take the Germans to task for hygiene, of all things .

As I pointed out, the main leaders of the Argentine Nazi party (think it is called Nuevo Triumfio, or something like that) are of Italian and Spanish origin, that is, utterly representative of the majority ethnic groups in that country. The same applies to the generals in the junta during the 1976-1983 dictatorship.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca