babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Cop Lawsuit vs Star Tossed Out

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Cop Lawsuit vs Star Tossed Out
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 24 June 2003 02:44 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Court strikes down police lawsuit
$2.7B class-action libel suit dismissed before trial

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 June 2003 03:22 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ha! Good on 'em!
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LittleDoucheCoupe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4221

posted 25 June 2003 10:21 AM      Profile for LittleDoucheCoupe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Too bad. Brommell could've spent a coupla bucks on some Jenny Craig.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 25 June 2003 11:33 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, because that's what bothers me the most about Craig Bromell - that he's fat.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LittleDoucheCoupe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4221

posted 25 June 2003 11:52 AM      Profile for LittleDoucheCoupe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, his size doesn't bug me as much as the fact that he always looks greasy. I wonder what he'd look like sans moustache and hair gel. Just another hyperbole in a suit, methinks.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 25 June 2003 02:01 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it is no concern of ours that he's an ignorant and dangerous thug; let's just focus on his appearance.
Harry Balzac
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3664

posted 25 June 2003 02:49 PM      Profile for Harry Balzac     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered how average cops live with having Bromell representing them to the public. Do they like the black-shirt bully-boy image he projects?
From: where the Eglinton subway line should run... | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 25 June 2003 04:43 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This lawsuit never had any merit in the first place; it is utterly clear that large groups cannot be the subject of a libel suit at all.

This was made clear about ten years ago, when the Supreme Court held that "World War II Veterans"
as a group were incapable of being libelled. It tossed out the argument that each Veteran was libellled because the group as a whole was libelled.

Obviously, one could not conduct a coherent public discourse about any inappropriate or foolish police activities, if the entire Police Association could then claim to be libelled (in this case, to the tune of 2 billion dollars).

Any result other than the one the court reached would have been intolerable. The lawyer, Tim Danson, shows his true colours by appealing this decision.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca