babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Canada's first aboriginal-run university

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Canada's first aboriginal-run university
evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 23 June 2003 11:07 AM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Canada's first aboriginal-run university opens

This story is actually on the rabble.ca homepage. I just wanted to comment that I'm very excited and happy that such a university finally exists. The history most Canadians learn in school today does not contain the memory, feeling, perspective and insight that the original North Americans need to reconnect with in order to realize the great and necessary healing and return of dignity of its great people.

From: learning land | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 23 June 2003 11:23 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would be important to invite students, faculty and staff at the Aboriginal university to have their say on rabble / babble to get more input on issues relating to indigenous peoples in Canada and elsewhere in the Americas.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kindred
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3285

posted 23 June 2003 02:39 PM      Profile for Kindred     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually this article is a tad misleading - SIFC has been in Regina since 1976 sharing the U of R campus
quote:
In May 1976, the Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations entered into a federation agreement with the University of Regina, creating the Saskatchewan Indian Federated College (SIFC).

The Agreement provides for an independently administered university-college, the mission of which is to serve the academic, cultural and spiritual needs of First Nations’ students.

The Saskatchewan Indian Federated College has been a member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) since 1994. It administers the same university regulations with respect to admissions and the development of new programs as other universities.

I think SIFC might be a little unhappy to hear they just now have their own college.

quote:

"One of the problems with SIFC is everything is so spread out. It would be good if we could have everybody in one centralized area. I think it would be excellent for communications and services, administration, the student body...it will bring people together"

JOANNE GOODPIPE
SIFC Student - Aboriginal Management Program, Standing Buffalo Dakota First Nation,

Its an amazing place, I have visited it many times on business and for personal reasons. SIFC is a model of Aboriginal and Community spirit. The classes are always filled - in 2002 they graduated I think it was 10 BScs who were hired before graduation by Proctor and Gamble.

Funds for building this new building for them have been raised by SIFC with sponsors such as Canada Life, ISM, KPMG, Weyerhaueser, Shell Canada, Sask Power, to name a few of them - The excellent work and spirit in SIFC has impressed a lot of people.

This is the perfect example of what can be done when people all work together to make something really good happen.

quote:
SIFC exists as a community within communities – Aboriginal, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada and Internationally.

In relation to its position within the various communities SIFC has, perhaps indirectly, assumed a responsibility to provide, promote and maintain the commitment of being a university-college that affirms the pride of First Nations culture and traditions. SIFC continues to demonstrate its commitment and dedication by celebrating and promoting the successes and achievements of First Nations people and traditions.

http://campaign.sifc.edu/thebuilding.html

Its an amazing place run by amazing people and I feel priviliged to know some of them and to have seen first hand what SIFC really is ..

From: British Columbia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 23 June 2003 02:57 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
It would be important to invite students, faculty and staff at the Aboriginal university to have their say on rabble / babble to get more input on issues relating to indigenous peoples in Canada and elsewhere in the Americas.

Indeed. And any other issues here to which they'd like to contribute.

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 23 June 2003 02:59 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, obviously. My intent was not to ghettoise Aboriginal people!
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 23 June 2003 03:06 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, didn't mean for that to be framed as a criticism, lagatta.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 23 June 2003 03:23 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, I didn't think it was, pax . Anything that encourages full participation by Aboriginals and a better understanding of historic and contemporary Indigenous cultures is a "Good Thing".

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca