babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Bush begins purchasing his next term

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Bush begins purchasing his next term
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 22 June 2003 04:37 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bush begins fundraising drive

quote:
Mr Bush will arrive late, speak for maybe 15 minutes, then leave early - with perhaps $2 million raised for the campaign.
Wow, quite a living. See my problem is I'd arrive late, but keep those poor suckers there for like an hour. Of course the problem is no Republicans would want to hear what I have to say, plus I'd probably give them the finger at the end.

quote:
Beyond that, Mr Bush has created an elite tier of special fundraisers, known as the Pioneers and Rangers.

To win such a badge of honour, his supporters must convince 50 other people to donate $2,000 each for a total of $100,000.

Okay, and these two paragraphs, just make me laugh. Makes me wish I'd been a Boy Scout or something. Winning this badge of honour . . . right.

NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 22 June 2003 04:53 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From the NY Times (you'll have to register):
The $2,000 Campaign Aperitif

Tying it all together:

quote:
Last week, with G.O.P. lawmakers still opposed to postscripting some working poor into the latest $350 billion tax cut, repeal of the estate tax was wheeled out again. This is the G.O.P.'s perennial postmortem piñata for the rich, serving as a bugle call to donors of the party's dedication to the serial detaxation of upper-bracket Americans. "The best way to `lobby' to be in next year's tax cut is to cheerfully support the president's tax cut this year," advised Grover Norquist, the candid genius of tax-cuts-forever, in The Washington Post.
My emphasis for good wit.

[ 22 June 2003: Message edited by: NDB ]

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 22 June 2003 05:15 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
From the NY Times (you'll have to register):

Not so much. For example, if you wish, you can sign in as "LesterBangs," with password "blurt."

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 22 June 2003 05:19 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right, but you must register as someone, Lester.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 June 2003 05:19 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read this column this a.m., unfortunately as I was consuming food.

I have only one question. Why has this man not yet made his horse a senator?

I mean, isn't that all that's left? Well, and there would be the incest bit too, I guess.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 June 2003 05:21 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
audra has given us a general entry to the NYT, no?

The password is audrarules, I think. Can anyone fill in the rest?

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 22 June 2003 05:24 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
babblers / audrarules

I use a different one, but I'm not telling y'all. Anyway, the fact that the media just barefacedly reports all this monetization of politics with a straight face is a pretty damning indication of just how much of a farce US politics is. Getting $2 million for a 15 minute speech? Pressuring people to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for access to an elite club of people with the President's ear? Sheesh!

Even Chretien's $150-a-plate dinners don't quite get this gauche.

And to think that the Repubs in particular have the gall, the absolute nerve to wrap themselves up in populistic Old Glory rhetoric.

[ 22 June 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 22 June 2003 10:52 PM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The country is headed toward a single and splendid government of an aristocracy founded on banking institutions and monied incorporations and if this tendency continues it will be the end of freedom and democracy, the few will be ruling and riding over the plundered plowman and the beggar...I hope we shall take warning from the example of England and crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government to trial and bid defiance to the laws of our country. I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

--Thomas Jefferson, 1816

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca