babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Saddam dead for real this time?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Saddam dead for real this time?
kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 22 June 2003 02:27 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's not forget that there was an active claque of scewballs claiming that Hitler was alive and well in South America for decades after WWII.

If this Guardian article is accurate it will save us from years of conspiracy theory nonsense on the Internet ("Saddam actually works for Bushler!!")

I assume the sane babblers are able to address this? I'm rather distrustful of my own organization at this juncture, as you might imagine.

From: Pax Americana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 22 June 2003 02:33 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BTW, for those who care, the hellfire is a nasty device. I've never fired a live one, even in training. I've never had one on my bird for any reason. There is only one conceivably "good" thing to say about such a device: when you are the target you do not suffer. Lights out. Instantaneous.

We often do sanity checks by imagining what would happen if a hellfire hit our own civilian vehicles as they were ferrying our kids to soccer. Enough said.

From: Pax Americana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 22 June 2003 02:06 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kiowa:
I assume the sane babblers are able to address this? I'm rather distrustful of my own organization at this juncture, as you might imagine.

Who knows? It's interesting that extra-judicial assasinations of foreign politicians just roll off the common tongue like it's no big thing. More evidence of the incredible arrogance that pervades our society.

NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 22 June 2003 02:23 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that story is pretty crappy. When they've killed Saddam and can actually confirm it they'll have a live televised prime time event hosted by Dick Clark. And another thing, did you notice the way the article made it sound like Mamoud gave them all this information over a beer? Like he did it willingly? How many hot screws do think he had jammed into his arm before he told about this convoy?

PS- Saddam did work for Bush. The first one.

redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 22 June 2003 04:22 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
and if the remains are found to be not Saddam, we should expect that the persons responsible will be convicted of murder .
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 22 June 2003 04:30 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HA HA HA!

That was great redshift.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 June 2003 04:40 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
PS- Saddam did work for Bush. The first one

You took the words right out of my mouth, NDB.

What a very strange story. What can one say? One assumes that kiowa will stay on top of these rumours and let us know whether they are ever confirmed.

beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 23 June 2003 01:40 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Update: confusion.

Nobody seems to know what the hell's going on:

quote:
Strikingly contradictory reports and interpretations by different analysts about the whereabouts and the well being of Saddam Hussein have led to utter confusion, admitted an intelligence source.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 23 June 2003 01:58 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Funny, bin Laden's status is unknown, too. Not implying anything-- don't know what that implies, other than it's kinda funny.

I can think of two similar thorns in the backside of the Romans; Mithradites and Hannibal. Both lived out thier days without them being shortened by a gladius.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 23 June 2003 08:58 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do hope that it was Saddam, and not some innocent person in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'll cry no tears for that monster. I just hope this doesn't turn out like that Baghdad restaurant debacle. How many innocent people died because of bad intel back then?
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Section 49
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3186

posted 23 June 2003 08:35 PM      Profile for Section 49     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Clear as mud. From the hindustan times, linked to above:

quote:
The remains were retrieved from a convoy of vehicles hit by US forces with hellfire missiles last Wednesday following "firm" information that the former Iraqi President and members of his family were traveling in the Western Desert near the Syrian border.

The "firm" information came after a satellite phone call was intercepted by the military intelligence. The call, it is said, was made from the satellite phone with Saddam Hussain himself

And from today's cnn.com:

quote:
Officials said the convoy or six or seven vehicles was attacked last week as part of a U.S. effort to target suspected Iraqi regime leaders trying to escape into Syria. They say there was no specific information to indicate Saddam Hussein or his two sons were in the convoy.

and

quote:
The official said there is no reason to believe Saddam Hussein or his sons were in the convoy, calling it "wishful thinking" and emphasizing the focus of the attack may have been to shut down smuggling of people across the border.

So maybe there was intelligence, maybe there wasn't, and we shouldn't get all excited about crossign Sadam off the List. The long and short of it is that the U.S. apparently takes the position that driving around in the desert is a reasonable and probable ground for being wiped out via air strike.

Bubbles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3787

posted 24 June 2003 12:39 AM      Profile for Bubbles        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A case of shoot first and check later. Digital killers on the lose. Eany, meany, miny, mo, and you are to go. A bush ditty? Jefferson must be depressed about that.
TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 24 June 2003 05:17 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
........this just in............

..........Generalisimo Fransico Franco is still dead........

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 24 June 2003 08:26 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jefferson is depressed about everything right now.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy M
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2183

posted 24 June 2003 02:20 PM      Profile for Tommy M     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is this incompetence or indifference?

quote:

A US attack on a convoy that was believed to have been carrying Iraqi leaders may have taken place inside neighbouring Syria, a Pentagon official has admitted.

BBC

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 24 June 2003 02:25 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
It is unclear how the Syrian border guards came to be involved.

I have a vague idea. They are border guards. Warplanes and soldiers invaded their country to attack a convoy of vehicles. They defended against the invaders.

Steve_Shutt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2922

posted 24 June 2003 04:37 PM      Profile for Steve_Shutt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Early in the war my cousin told me this joke and I still can't stop snickering at it - sign of too much CNN, no doubt.

---

With American forces closing in on Bahgdad, Tariq Aziz gathers all of Saddam's doubles for a meeting at an undisclosed location. The mood is tense as the night before the Americans had attempted to take out the Iraqi leader.

"Gentlemen," Aziz begins, "please calm down. I have good news to tell you. Our leader is still alive. (cheers greet the news) You all still have jobs. (laughter from some) The bad news is that he has lost an arm."

From: coming in off the left wing | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 24 June 2003 07:10 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
winning the hearts and minds.
At about 1:30 a.m., as the four trucks burned, the first of about five missiles struck Hamad's brick house, he said. Although everyone was sleeping outside, debris killed his sister-in-law, 20-year-old Hakima Khalil, and her daughter, Maha. Khalil's husband, Mohammed, was wounded in the foot. Hamad, his 24-year-old brother Mahmoud and his mother, Rasmiya Mishaal, 62, were also hurt. Mahmoud suffered the severest injuries, with deep cuts to his back and face.

After the attack began, villagers said cries pierced the air. Some contended that cluster bombs were used. Other villagers insisted that was wrong, that it was heavy machine-gun fire. They said they were saved by fleeing their homes. "When they hit Ahmed's house, it was like an alarm," said a neighbor, Mohammed Naim, 29. "Everybody ran away from their homes."

By the time the barrage ended, four houses were destroyed, along with two storage shacks, residents said. Villagers sitting in the hospital listed their losses like an insurance claim: three pickups, three tractors, one truck and 13 heads of sheep.

america-bringing change to your neighborhood soon.

NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 24 June 2003 09:03 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
redshift - Can you please provide a source for this?
Bubbles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3787

posted 24 June 2003 09:34 PM      Profile for Bubbles        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NDB

Redshift probably got it from the washington post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24409-2003Jun23.html?nav=hptop_ts

redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 25 June 2003 01:11 AM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, washington post via antiwar.com. kidney stone meds are fogging me up. gotta love codeine, but don't operate equipment.
Tommy M
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2183

posted 25 June 2003 11:32 AM      Profile for Tommy M     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like you may be right Sarcasmobri

Syria demands return of border guards

quote:

After the initial attack, a person was spotted on foot near the border with Syria. As U.S. special operations forces pursued the individual, some Syrian border guards showed up, the sources said.

Pentagon officials said at that point the U.S. troops may have crossed the Syrian border. In any case, there was an engagement in which the three Syrian border guards were wounded. It was not clear whether they were shot from the ground or from the air.

I'm trying to understand this, but it doesn't seem right. US troops shoot and wounded Syrian border guards inside Syria then arrested them? Couldn't that be considered an act of war against Syria?

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca