babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Headless body found near Castle Frankenstein

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Headless body found near Castle Frankenstein
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 21 June 2003 03:09 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Could anyone make this stuff up?
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 21 June 2003 03:19 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
'lance, I do not normally find sad stories about Turkish workers in Germany who meet with sad ends to be funny.

I will, however, bend my principles in this one case.

Do you suppose that he had an unusually criminal brain? Isn't that how the original goes? Or am I thinking of just the movie? (Believe it or not, I actually read the book at one point.)

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 21 June 2003 03:24 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you suppose that he had an unusually criminal brain?

I dunno, we'd have to examine the folds and crenellations...

Way I see it, most people live such obscure lives that at least coming to an absurd end is a kind of immortality. I even remember reading about a book of absurd deaths (how factual they all were I don't know). One that, er, stuck in my mind was the following.... A man had a can of Spam or some such sitting on his kitchen windowsill. He forgot all about it and it sat there for years. The heat of the sun sent the meat bad (bad Spam, I hear you wonder aloud? The mind reels, etc.). Gases built up. One day, the can burst, sending a shard of metal into buddy's carotid artery.

Well... are you ever gonna forget that story?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 21 June 2003 04:02 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:

I dunno, we'd have to examine the folds and crenellations...

By "crenellations," 'lance: would you be referring to the brain -- or the castle?

Way I see it, most people live such obscure lives that at least coming to an absurd end is a kind of immortality. I even remember reading about a book of absurd deaths (how factual they all were I don't know). One that, er, stuck in my mind was the following.... A man had a can of Spam or some such sitting on his kitchen windowsill. He forgot all about it and it sat there for years. The heat of the sun sent the meat bad (bad Spam, I hear you wonder aloud? The mind reels, etc.). Gases built up. One day, the can burst, sending a shard of metal into buddy's carotid artery.

Well... are you ever gonna forget that story?

Two thoughts, 'lance: First, that story sounds ... well, are you not always our first defence against urban legend? And doesn't that story sound, well, fishy to you? Ok: SPAMMY?

Second: We gotta have a chat, 'lance. The beauty of the absurd death ... We gotta have a chat. Immortality: fie upon it, I say! Fie! As I know you do too ... Oui?

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 22 June 2003 02:53 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
First, that story sounds ... well, are you not always our first defence against urban legend? And doesn't that story sound, well, fishy to you? Ok: SPAMMY?

But of course! My parenthetical

quote:
(how factual they all were I don't know)

was by way of saying, I make no claims for the voracity[1] of the story.

quote:
We gotta have a chat, 'lance. The beauty of the absurd death ... We gotta have a chat. Immortality: fie upon it, I say! Fie! As I know you do too ... Oui?

But who said anything about beauty, skdadl? Now, if you wanna talk appropriateness, well... but then we'd be in danger of working Beckett's side of the street, or some such, and do you really wanna go there? Not me, fer sure.

[1]as we pendants say over on alt.folklore.urban

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca