FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Iraq's First Public Poll

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Iraq's First Public Poll
Ray Peterson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4178

posted 20 June 2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Ray Peterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cbs
From: Hinkley Hills | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 20 June 2003 05:16 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now why do I have this feeling that this poll is somehow not accurate to "plus or minus 3 percent 9 times out of 10"???

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 20 June 2003 05:16 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First public opinion poll? "Doctor, I think I have an extreme case of myopia!"

quote:
With the embedded Western media being widely accused of bias there appear to be no reliable answers to many of these questions. In order to cut through the cacophony of opinions and views, NDTV conducted the first opinion poll in post-war Iraq. Our team questioned 1,000 people, men and women, young and old, in 25 different locations in Baghdad on April 22 and 23.

Iraqis speak out

Ray Peterson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4178

posted 20 June 2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Ray Peterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just titled it the way cbs did.
From: Hinkley Hills | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 20 June 2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sixty-five percent of Iraqis polled in Baghdad claimed they want the U.S. military to stay until Iraq is stable and secure; only 17 percent want American soldiers out now.
*points gun at pollee*

"Would you like the U.S. military to stay, providing stability and security until they can leave Iraq as a peaceful, prosperous and independant nation , or would you like American soldiers to leave immediately ?"

Seriously, though, it would be interesting to see the wording and methodology of such a poll. Especially given the very different results compared to the poll Clockwork linked to.

[ 20 June 2003: Message edited by: albireo ]

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 20 June 2003 05:32 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ray, I know… I hope you didn't think I was saying the you had myopia...
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 20 June 2003 05:36 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
edited because upon reflection I didn't agree with anything I wrote.

[ 20 June 2003: Message edited by: Jacob Two-Two ]

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 20 June 2003 05:42 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sixty-five percent of Iraqis polled in Baghdad claimed they want the U.S. military to stay until Iraq is stable and secure; only 17 percent want American soldiers out now.

Uh, okay. No sample size. No indication of what the question was. No indication of who these "Iraqis" are (but I guess to CBS, "those people" are all the same anyway). No indication of who conducted the poll.
In other words: totally worthless.
In still other words: a blatant PR ploy by the Pentagon to distract from the fact that American boys are still dying and still killing the people they came to *gag* "liberate".

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 20 June 2003 06:11 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think look at the bright side. Ninety-nine per cent voted to elect Saddam Hussein. So this poll shows only 65% are still to scared to be truthful.
Steve_Shutt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2922

posted 20 June 2003 06:29 PM      Profile for Steve_Shutt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I certainly agree that the CBS article's poll has little to back it up but the one in the Hindu Times is very interesting.

While only representative of Baghdad, that there should be such substantial support for the Americans is actually heartening. I tend to believe the Pentagon's line that we are dealing with pockets of resistance (at least at present) and not anything akin to a genuine, widespread, nationalist movement to remove the occupying powers - yet.

It has only been a couple of months and there is still time for the US to salvage the situation. I strongly suspect that the truth, always an elusive beast, is not as bad as those of us who opposed the war believe and not as rosy as those who supported it believe.

From: coming in off the left wing | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 20 June 2003 08:06 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, there's plenty of time and room for the Bushites to salvage the situation, but we all know they won't do it. They came in with a very narrow, self-interested agenda and don't give shit about anything else. They seem to expect Iraq to just work itself out while they help themselves to the goodies. Disaster is written on the walls.
From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca