babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » The Commander of Guantanamo Bay

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The Commander of Guantanamo Bay
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 20 June 2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the BBC's PM programme interviewed Maj Gen Jeffrey Miller, commander of Guantanamo Bay:

miller telegraphs the fact that the U.S. wants to renegotiate the Geneva Convetions. the UK has already signalled that it doesn't like the 1951 Convention on Refugees.

quote:
John Minnell, PM Programme: "How concerned are you as an American solider that you are in charge of a camp which the ICRC believes does not fully comply with international law?"

Miller: "We are detaining the enemy combatants here in JTF Guantanamo in a humane manner in accordance with the Geneva Conventions, with the exception of the requirements of military necessity"

PM: "But it's not in full compliance with the Geneva Conventions. I have read the 3rd Geneva Convention. Nowhere did i see the phrase 'enemy combatant'. It's not just me saying that, it's the Intl Committee of the Red Cross. They say that you are picking and choosing and not fulfulling the full criteria of the 3rd Geneva Convention."

Miler: "This war on terror is new. As the governments go ahead and address, they will review and make appropriate choices in the update of this enormously important document."

[ 21 June 2003: Message edited by: Willowdale Wizard ]

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca