babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: arts and culture.  
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » CanWEST makes admission of truth in CAR STORIES affair!

Author Topic: CanWEST makes admission of truth in CAR STORIES affair!
Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 19 June 2003 03:16 PM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post
CanWEST-Global's THE GAZETTE has made a rare admission of truth in regards to the show they kicked out of the Montreal Fringe Festival as conflict-of-interest corporate sponsor.

Today, an anniversary of shame in Montreal's arts community, the following article appears, by Matt Radz.

quote:
Car Stories got booted out of the 2001 Fringe when Optative's experiment with media activism backfired, belching so much publicity smoke that the brilliance of the idea to do this sort of street performance vanished with the hot air.

This is a distinctly new direction from the CanWEST-Global paper, which has insisted up until now that the show was expelled for "a long list of reasons" which had nothing to do with THE GAZETTE.

Evidence, however, pointed out that THE GAZETTE was solely responsible for the expulsion of the first show ever in Fringe Theatre history, as exposed in this article by Brendan Woods of Concordia University.

All eyes are on the festival now to see if they finally come clean and compensate the company. For more details see HERE.

From: Outside of the box | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
4t2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3655

posted 19 June 2003 03:34 PM      Profile for 4t2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Are you reading the same article? I don't think the author (who, I suspect, is not speaking for CanWest - there may indeed be a sliver of freedom left for Gazette journalists) is making any admission. Isn't he just stating that the publicity diminished the effect of the show? Maybe I need to read more carefully but I don't understand how this article admits that CanWest did anything...but I'm very willing to stand corrected, if you could help me out?
From: Beyond the familiar... | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 19 June 2003 03:36 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's kind of a backhanded, coded admission.

Too bad the cat's dead.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 19 June 2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's just too easy.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 19 June 2003 03:39 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The cat is dead?
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 19 June 2003 03:45 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
[not-so serious gripe, seasoned with a hint of wishful thinking]

Can we invent some sort of policy about not promoting your own work on babble? Please? I am so sick of the effluent Mr. King.

[/gripe]

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 19 June 2003 03:49 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mycroft, jokes about feline demise are in VERY questionable taste ...

Hmm, authoritarian anti-globalist?

"As for Car Stories, "running" may be overdramatizing. The show is a tony by-appointment-only affair that takes place inside an old bazou parked at a secret location. An authoritarian anti-globalist, King limits his audiences to three at a time, loads them into the back seat and snaps shut the child-proof locks until the fat lady sings.

Car Stories got booted out of the 2001 Fringe when Optative's experiment with media activism backfired, belching so much publicity smoke that the brilliance of the idea to do this sort of street performance vanished with the hot air. King has a long memory and he's had his lab assistants documenting My Ouster From The Fringe as a roman-fleuve.

Car Stories were left to gun their engines outside the perimeter last year and follow the same script this week."

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 19 June 2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Mycroft, jokes about feline demise are in VERY questionable taste ...

Who's joking? I would have liked to have met him.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 19 June 2003 04:12 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When? When did the cat die? Why wasn't I told?
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 19 June 2003 04:30 PM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
i think we need more threads discussing CAR STORIES ... three in the last few days is simply not enough
From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 19 June 2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is not "news". I suppose I'll hold my nose and put it in the arts and culture forum, seeing as we don't have a public masturbation forum.

[ 19 June 2003: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca