FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Italy & France Rd. 1

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Italy & France Rd. 1
Ray Peterson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4178

posted 19 June 2003 03:15 PM      Profile for Ray Peterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
msnbc
From: Hinkley Hills | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3306

posted 19 June 2003 04:52 PM      Profile for Hawkins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am really confused with Italy.

When I was there in march, there was "PACE" flags flying everywhere from businesses and houses and in Venice in the Ministry of Culture (I found this extremely funny/odd). When I was skiing some people would come up and ask if we were Americans, we said no canadian, and their first response was to ask our opinion of the war. And they all very very adiment about their anti war stance.

When coupled with their government's stance it was sorta shocking. I haven't seen polls from Italy on their support of their government but from observations it appeared that many did not share their government's support in a war.

Their rightwing government is also very confusing. I don't know how their government system works and what polls are like, could anyone provide some information on this?>

From: Burlington Ont | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 20 June 2003 12:55 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins:
When coupled with their government's stance it was sorta shocking. I haven't seen polls from Italy on their support of their government but from observations it appeared that many did not share their government's support in a war.

That's a bit of an understatement: Poll

quote:
Italy
Polls vary depending on the media outlet, but somewhere in the region of 70% to 80% of Italians oppose war with Iraq. According the BBC, a 29 January poll by Swg showed 72.7 % of Italians disagreed with a U.S.-led pre-emptive war against Iraq while 18.8% said they would support such an action. According to the Guardian newspaper, a February poll shows 70% of Italians would object to an attack even if it was authorized by the U.N..

In other words, by supporting the war on Iraq, Berlusconi was saying "Fuck You" to the Italian people in his usual thuggish way. Obviously a leader to warm George Bush's heart.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca