babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Rumania faces up to it's history

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Rumania faces up to it's history
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 18 June 2003 03:30 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Romania retracts Holocaust denial to end row
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 18 June 2003 05:52 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ 18 June 2003: Message edited by: Mycroft ]

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 18 June 2003 05:53 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A few weeks ago the Romanian government issued a statement denying there were pogroms in Romani in 1941. It's unclear from the article above whether they are now ackowledging the atrocities instigated by the Iron Guard (a fascist party in Romania that took power during the war) and Gen. Antonescu which include a pogrom in Bucharest on 24-26 January, 1941 and pogroms throughout Romanian territory, notably Bessabarabia and Iasi, in late June to early July 1941 and again in Augast.

For more info see
This page from the Nizkor site
as well as This page, this pageand this page for pictures see this page

My father and grandfather were two of the people deported to concentration camps in the German occupied Transnestria region on June 22, 1941 on the orders of Gen. Antonescu.

[ 18 June 2003: Message edited by: Mycroft ]

Kindred
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3285

posted 18 June 2003 07:52 PM      Profile for Kindred     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have always been unhappy, disturbed that our history books have huge holes in them, and missing information - this is an example of a book or books waiting to be written, another is the true story of Russia in WWII and of italy, Poland, Czechoslavakia, Scandanavia; the "inside" story, what it meant to people living in these countries - Maybe as the silence is breached we can finally begin to learn the full truth of this era - (and the horror). Not just the hollywood version(s).
From: British Columbia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kindred
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3285

posted 18 June 2003 08:04 PM      Profile for Kindred     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know some Romanians who spent time in jail and ultimately escaped under a hail of gun fire, dragging their daughter through the swamps - and I was struck by the way they wanted to tell people, everyone about their horrors in their country - so many refugess are afraid to speak but the Romanians I do know arent.

I believe now, in hind sight, that we did them a disservice, urging them to settle into Canada, adjust to their new life and let go of the pain and anger they had - we should have found them a voice instead and let them tell the world what they experienced in Romania.

From: British Columbia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca