babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Ernie Raises Clinton-Lewinsky in Expense Debate

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Ernie Raises Clinton-Lewinsky in Expense Debate
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 18 June 2003 12:38 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From the London Free Press:

quote:
TORONTO -- A combative Premier Ernie Eves raised the salacious spectre of the Bill Clinton-Monica Lewinsky affair yesterday as he faced a barrage of questions about a popular politician who has left cabinet amid a scandal over his expenses. Under fire in the legislature about whether he approved of Chris Stockwell's spending habits, Eves accused Liberal Leader Dalton McGuinty of wasting public funds by visiting an American image consultant who once worked with Clinton.

"You sit there like a smug, arrogant person. You took ($25,000) of Ontario taxpayers' money and spent it at the Bill Clinton Democratic image agency in the United States of America," he said.

"Did you get the cigar at least to go with it?"

McGuinty said media training is an "important part of his job," and dismissed the cigar comment as "inappropriate and unbecoming for a premier."

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 18 June 2003 12:44 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow. Classy.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 18 June 2003 11:54 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On a (likely) related note, the Tory attack ads against McGuinty are back. Apparently he (horror!) doesn't support banning teachers' strikes, mortgage interest deductability or tax breaks for seniors! And the punch line is that he's "still not up to the job".

Maybe I'm being too optimistic about Ontarians, but I think these attacks on McGuinty (by an unpopular governing party) may help rather than harm McGuinty. If he takes the high road, he will look more like a Premier than Eves.

But still, I think we are in for one of the most vile and negative campaigns in Canadian history.

[ 18 June 2003: Message edited by: albireo ]

Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 19 June 2003 12:08 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That, and as I've said before, they bring up the whole issue of suitability for the job - which isn't necessarily an issue in Ernie Eves' favour.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 19 June 2003 07:41 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The thing is, McGuinty is right. I think that's a perfectly justified expense, completely job-related. People aren't born knowing how to communicate with the media, they have to learn, and that's a huge part of his job. And if I remember correctly, that's nothing compared to how much money Dented Tunaboy David Tsibouchi spent on image doctors when he mishandled the Ministry of Community and Social Services so badly when the Tories were first elected.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 19 June 2003 12:28 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indeed, it is bizarre to have Eves condemning McGuinty for hiring an image consultant. The Tories would never do anything like that.
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 19 June 2003 12:31 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by albireo:
Indeed, it is bizarre to have Eves condemning McGuinty for hiring an image consultant. The Tories would never do anything like that.

Given Eves' comments, maybe they should.

Trisha
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 387

posted 19 June 2003 01:17 PM      Profile for Trisha     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
About the cigar comment, I think Eves is showing his jealousy here. He's not getting the perks he thinks he should.
From: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
writer
editor emeritus
Babbler # 2513

posted 19 June 2003 08:11 PM      Profile for writer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's also showing his panic. Very poorly thought out. Between McGuinty and Eves, which one do social conservatives consider living in sin, unmarried to his live-in "partner for life?" Has McGuinty been divorced? Eves has. Pulling out the family-values, anti-sex card was not a smart move. Now let's see if anyone cares to exploit the gaff.
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 20 June 2003 01:29 AM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
or tax breaks for seniors

Heard Marilyn Churley speaking tonight...apparently Frank Stronach's "senior's tax break" is around $30,000.

And of course they're not doing it the "normal" way through the tax form...oh no...they're issuing each senior a cheque...make sure that before the election every senior gets a cheque from the Government of Ontario...most will be like five or ten bucks.

So...Ernie gets to "buy" votes and Ontario taxpayers foot the bill for all the administrative costs in this scheme.

From: a Micro$oft-free computer | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2279

posted 20 June 2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Alix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unbelievable, particularly in light of this:

From the Toronto Star

quote:
The 30-second spot opens with a shot of a smiling family and the voice of a woman talking about the Tory plan to ban teacher strikes.

"I want a premier who believes what I believe: that my kids' education is too important to be held hostage by labour disputes," says the woman.

A spokeswoman for the U.S.-based RubberBall Productions confirmed today that the featured family is actually from Oregon.

And this from today:

quote:
Bangs rejected the idea that the ad clearly implies the people featured are Ontarians.

[ 20 June 2003: Message edited by: Alix ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 20 June 2003 02:56 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Haha! What a weasel-out that is! I would have a lot more respect for him if he just said, "Listen. It's an ad. It's depicting what we think the average family would think, and we used ACTORS for it."

I mean, most people expect ads to have actors in them. But instead he uses a stupid excuse like, oh, we didn't represent them as Ontarians? What a knob. What, those people were talking about what they want in a Premier of Oregon?

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 20 June 2003 02:59 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie for Premier of Oregon!

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca