FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Pierre Bourgault

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Pierre Bourgault
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 16 June 2003 07:58 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
R.I.P.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 20 June 2003 04:27 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great article by Rick Salutin
scroll down to see the section of PB
quote:
There was a time when Quebec's independence was not sought for its own sake, or to overcome some sense of humiliation, or to finally see that fleur-de-lis flap at the UN. It was sought to allow the people of Quebec the ability to create a more egalitarian society as they saw fit.

From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 20 June 2003 05:09 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I think that we'd all be better off if everyone seperated from Canada and joined Quebec.

Well except Alberta, they can go their own way if they want!! With apologies to many good Albertians, but really, the "outlier" province in Canada is not Quebec, it's Alberta!!

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 20 June 2003 05:13 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From certain points of view, yes it's Alberta that's the outlier. On the other hand Quebec's ahead of the curve (i.e., more enlightened) on things like subsidized daycare and the youth criminal-justice system. I forget the exact figures, but I think they incarcerate less than half the number of young people, proportionately, that Ontario does.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 20 June 2003 05:28 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You are correct, Alberta and Quebec are on different ends of the Canadian spectrum, but I think that if anyone were to have the gumption to check all the major polls done over the last decade or so, I believe that one would find that while Quebec may usually have the "extreme" opinion of most issue, that "extreme" has always been on the "majority side" of the issue, while Alberta on the other hand usually lies on the extreme of the "minority opinion".

I wouldn't like any province to seperate, but if I had to choose between Alberta or Quebec, I'd prefer Alberta go . . . and that's with having two brothers with their family and my mother living in Alberta, and no relatives living in Quebec.

PS. Sorry for the topic drift, I will shut up now!!

[ 20 June 2003: Message edited by: No Yards ]

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 25 June 2003 06:49 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
to return to the original intent of the post:
A Controversial Figure Bows Out
i didn't know of the Bourgeault-Parizeau connection.

From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca