babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Neighbour vs Neighbour: Hands Cut Off

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Neighbour vs Neighbour: Hands Cut Off
kuba walda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3134

posted 12 June 2003 05:07 PM      Profile for kuba walda        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I find stories like this incrediably sad.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M278228E4

I have come to believe after having numerous incidents with neighbours, that unfortunately maybe human beings weren't meant to live in close proximity to each other. I know that sounds incrediably pessimistic, but from experience I have found that if you are not good at biting your tongue, a neighbourhood war can easily erupt. I have been fortunate, because I just bite my tongue and no one has taken their petty issues any further, and as for my neighbour's behaviour that annoys me - I have just learned to ignore it. Even the coming into my yard and moving my property around, so what .... I can move it back.

I don't know if it was this story or the globe and mail one, but the two had been bickering over water being sprayed on one or the others grass. GEEEEEEzzz its grass.

kuba, wishing people could get along

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 12 June 2003 06:18 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kuba, there is a lot of violence like this in poor, isolated communities too, not just aboriginal communities but other communities with a host of social problems. Who keeps a MACHETE in downtown Toronto (or was it Scarborough, in any case a highly urban area) anyway...

There is more social violence in the United States than in the Netherlands, though the latter is among the most densely populated countries in the world.

I'm very leery of anti-urban prejudices because they feed urban sprawl and encourage the use of cars (environmental destruction). However, you do have a point about improper urban design. Paper-thin walls, a lack of adequate balconies and private space (which can all be achieved in a densely populated urban environment) do contribute to a buildup of tension. So does a high level of noise.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 12 June 2003 07:55 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, this case wasn't about spraying water but about one neighbour suspecting that the other reported her to CAS (the incident occured immediately after the attacker's children had been seized).

Incredibly grotesque. Fortunately the woman's hands have been reattached but she has a prognosis of full recovery in only the left hand. In any case the victim will have to undergo months of physiotherapy and may never recover full use of her hands. Cases of amputation and reattachment also typically leave deep psychological scars and nightmares and I imagine that will especially be the case in this incident.

Apparently the two women had been arguing for a long time about how the attacker treats her kids.

John K
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3407

posted 12 June 2003 08:22 PM      Profile for John K        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thankfully these tragic situations are still rare enough for us to be shocked by them.
cadre
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3780

posted 13 June 2003 12:00 AM      Profile for cadre        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Canada needs a National Machete Registry. Such weapons are unnecessary and dangerous. Households with knives have a higher rate of cuts and amputations than those without.
From: Stalingrad in mourning | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 13 June 2003 12:11 AM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, if the attacker had had a gun then the victim would be dead right now.
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 13 June 2003 12:55 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
one case and it makes for a screaming headline in the Toronto Sun ... thousands of cases and what attention did Sierra Leone get?
From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trisha
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 387

posted 13 June 2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Trisha     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What does Sierra Leone have to do with atrocities in a country where people should know better? You can't compare wars with something like this. It's a whole different category.
From: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 13 June 2003 10:27 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
toronto knows better? we're civilized and sierra leone is uncivilized? they can't help having ethnic massacres?

atrocities happen around the world, and the west only pays attention when it happens here.

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 13 June 2003 11:07 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Who keeps a MACHETE in downtown Toronto

Machetes have featured in a few Toronto crimes over the past year or two, typically resulting in a similar finger or hand injury.

quote:
atrocities happen around the world, and the west only pays attention when it happens here.

I think this is more due to our tribal nature as humans, and less to do with "the west" being cold and uncaring. Do you think that our machete amputation made their newspapers??

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trisha
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 387

posted 13 June 2003 11:13 AM      Profile for Trisha     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I said "should know better". I didn't say atrocities (sp?) don't happen elsewhere or that this is more important news, I said it wasn't in the same category. Local or Canadian events do not negate problems elsewhere. They are simply of more local "interest" as they could happen to you or your neighbour.

Each country's local events are important to its people. World events are highly publicized too. It has to do with location and availability of information, not what is or isn't civilized

From: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 13 June 2003 11:16 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is a cleaver a machete? I have a cleaver. I use it mainly for two things, to assault turnips (which are too hard for me to get through any other way -- bang it into turnip till it is stuck about halfway through, then carry cleaver with turnip attached out to sidewalk, and beat upon walk until turnip is cleaved --cloven?) and to core sweet peppers -- no cleaner, faster way to produce a perfect pepper for chopping.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 13 June 2003 11:21 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you think that our machete amputation made their newspapers??

If they include South Africa, yes.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 13 June 2003 11:26 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A machete is much bigger than the kind of cleaver home cooks use. A machete's first use is to cut through the dense undergrowth in South American jungles, or to cut sugar cane. It has long been used as a weapon, notably by revolting slaves and agricultural workers.

A few years ago I heard of a machete attack by an Asian gang in a restaurant in Montreal's Chinatown.

I have a cleaver too, the Chinese type. Do use it on turnips, cabbage and such, but I tend to use a small, sharp Opinel knife to attack bell pepper cores. My neighbours are obnoxious too (play loud, tacky music) but I've never thought of using the cleaver on them ...

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 13 June 2003 11:31 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What about the smaller knife?
kuba walda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3134

posted 13 June 2003 12:44 PM      Profile for kuba walda        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually, this case wasn't about spraying water but about one neighbour suspecting that the other reported her to CAS (the incident occured immediately after the attacker's children had been seized).

Acutally from what I read from various news sources yesterday, the neighbours had a long standing dispute, not just about how the machete wielding one was raising her kids. Apparently the two were due in court in the near future on other matters.... which include something to do with water being sprinkled on one's grass.

As for noisy neighbours. Last time we banged on our ceiling we were told to "f ---- off and die." So we don't do that anymore.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 20 June 2003 05:55 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Apparently she's being charged with attempted murder rather than just aggravated assault.

I also can't help noticing:

quote:
The woman cannot be named to protect the identity of her five children, who are in the custody of the children's aid society.

Maybe this is just selective memory on my part, but somehow it seems like the utterly unfit parents just can't ever stop at one...

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 20 June 2003 08:52 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This one actually made the local Fox News station in Mass. So, if I want to visit Toronto this summer I should beware of... what exactly? I'm getting confused.

I guess that means Toronto is growing up. This shit used to happen routinely in NYC (even Boston) in the 1970's and nobody thought it would end. Not that Toronto has a high crime rate, even now. But shit, this can't be a good precedent by any standard.

From: Pax Americana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca