babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Charlie Smoke deported to United States

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Charlie Smoke deported to United States
Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 30 April 2003 02:17 PM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Details on the CBC version of the story are HERE.

quote:
REGINA - After two years of legal wrangling with Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Charlie Smoke has now been deported to the United States.

Canadian immigration officials handed Smoke over to U.S. border officers on Tuesday afternoon.

They also surrendered his fingerprints and fingerprint analysis from the RCMP that they say prove Smoke is actually Roger Leo Adams Jr, an American man born in Tennessee.

Now our First Nations hero is vowing to RETURN HOME.

quote:
Smoke says legal action on his behalf will continue as will his quest to return to Canada. He says will prove he is not Roger Adams Junior, the man Canadian immigration officials say is the identity he traded for that of Charlie Smoke.

I'd like to see some support for Smoke. Knowing him personally, I think it's safe to say that he certainly is First Nations (CanWEST this morning suggested that he isn't), and that he is well-deserving of living in "Canada" if he wants.

It's a real shame, he was planning on helping out with the Canada-Quebec-First Nations Social Forum scheduled in the autumn in Montreal. Let's mobilise and demand his return!

From: Outside of the box | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 30 April 2003 06:20 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is a really interesting story. Since you know him I'll take your word for it that he is legit.

But what do you make of this:

quote:
Canadian officials say they have fingerprints, a birth certificate and a positive identification from his father proving that Smoke is actually Roger Leo Adams Jr., a non-aboriginal man born in Memphis, Tenn.

Kate Mutch, who spoke on behalf of the man claiming to be Smoke's father, says Smoke was born in Memphis and always wanted to be Native American. She said he split from his father, Roger Leo Adams Sr., and stepmother over the issue.

"To the best of our knowledge, his break is because (his parents) weren't Native American, and that became a hindrance to him," said Mutch.

The Adams family is willing to support their claims through DNA testing, she said.

I was glad to see in another story NDP MP Dick Proctor standing up for him as well.

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 30 April 2003 07:16 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that it's true, but that Smoke believes that it's not true? Maybe neither of them are lying.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 01 May 2003 02:04 AM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would be extremely surprised if all that hooey turned out to be true. Smoke is about as First Nations as you can get.
He sent a brilliant script to Montreal's OTL which is considered by theatricians in Montreal as having great potential. It is activist, themed on oppression and first nations, and quite brilliant I am told. Not surprining given that Canada's most famous playwrights are nearly all first nations (eg: Drew Hayden-Taylor, Tomson Highway, etc.)

If the talk of him not being a "real" first nations member turns out to be true, I'll eat my hat.

What a strange and disturbing set-up. Conspiracy theories anyone?

From: Outside of the box | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca