FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Starbucks Pulls Out of Israel

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Starbucks Pulls Out of Israel
kuba walda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3134

posted 28 April 2003 12:53 PM      Profile for kuba walda        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.snopes.com/politics/israel/starbucks.asp

we should all be so lucky

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 28 April 2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was already boycotting Starbucks, because of their support for the Israeli Hawks. So what... they're in Lebanon or other countries. I think they should pull out of the U.S. if vlues comes before the mighty $$$. I don't see Lebanon occupying another nation or participating in ethnic cleansing. MY BOYCOTT HAS NOW COME TO AN END > Bravo Starbucks !
From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
bakunin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3991

posted 28 April 2003 02:44 PM      Profile for bakunin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
dont stop the boycott. they still pay poor wages, rip off coffe growers big time, and sel millions of disposable paper cups, lids, etc...

the other thing starbucks is good at is smashing the local business to pieces. i remember one situation where starbucks leased both spots on either side of a coffee shop and had two stores 10 feet apart. local coffee shop closes and starbucks closes one of the two. oh wait, this is capitalism and were all supposed to like it...

From: we may not convince you but we'll convince your children | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
kuba walda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3134

posted 28 April 2003 02:52 PM      Profile for kuba walda        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's a corner with three or four Starbucks in Vancouver. Talk about overkill
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 28 April 2003 02:57 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
oh wait, this is capitalism and were all supposed to like it...

Well, somebody must have, no? The store in the centre wouldn't have gone out of business if people didn't prefer the Starbuck's swill.

Me, I'm happy to "boycott" Starbuck's because their burnt, overpriced coffee sucks ass. But if enough coffee drinkers actually prefer it to the little independent in the centre, then that's their right, no?

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Saladin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3663

posted 28 April 2003 02:57 PM      Profile for Saladin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Israel, grrr....they are always the lucky ones.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 28 April 2003 03:27 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They DO sell the most overpriced beverages I've ever seen. Funny enough, though, their tea is actually competitively priced with that of restaurants. A tall tea runs about $1.80. I noticed this when I was in the Starbucks down the street from a restaurant where I was going to meet my mother.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 28 April 2003 04:18 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Funny, I had heard that starbucks never closes stores. The manager of the starbucks on commercial drive told me that his store has never turned a profit but head office doesn't close it because of their expansionist policy. They intend to hang in there, absorb the losses and dominate the market. So as long as the corporation as a whole keeps doing well (and it does) then they tolerate the underperformers, focusing on the big picture. If that's true then that makes this news rather odd. Maybe the concerns were much more than financial.
From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
bakunin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3991

posted 28 April 2003 04:20 PM      Profile for bakunin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
people only go to starbucks because they think it makes them cool...
From: we may not convince you but we'll convince your children | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
kuba walda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3134

posted 28 April 2003 04:29 PM      Profile for kuba walda        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They just bought up Seattle's Best ..... pretty soon there will only be ONE coffee in the world.
bakunin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3991

posted 28 April 2003 04:34 PM      Profile for bakunin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
thats ok seattles best coffe sucks too.
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 28 April 2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seattle's Best is pretty good. Too bad it has to go on the "Verboten" list for me. It's kinda funny, but I perfer the Seattle's Best at mac's to the $3.50, charred variety you get at Stealbucks. But I digress...
prowsej
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 798

posted 29 April 2003 06:13 PM      Profile for prowsej   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's over-priced. But the stores have those oh-so-large Chapters (TM) reading rooms attached. And I feel so cosmopolitan sipping their cawfee!
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 29 April 2003 06:49 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Coffee's bad for you anyway. Try botcotting the whole shebang and switching to Yerba Mate.
From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 April 2003 07:09 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jacob, you wouldn't happen to have a personal reason for boycotting coffee, now would you?

(Teasing, I'm teasing! )

You have private messages.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 29 April 2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
YAY! Down with Starbucks!
From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca