babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Toronto Star links Osama & Saddam

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Toronto Star links Osama & Saddam
Bluto
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1308

posted 27 April 2003 01:07 PM      Profile for Bluto     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Saddam, bin Laden link found: Canadian reporter

The smoking gun! But wait...

quote:
Mitch Potter, a foreign correspondent with the Toronto Star, says he discovered the file while digging through what's left of the Mukhabarat intelligence office. The CIA had already looked over the rubble and left.

And left? As in, "and left something behind for the naive Canadian reporter to discover"?

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 27 April 2003 01:10 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Conspiracy theory number 1, Next
kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 27 April 2003 01:23 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The problem with conspiracy theorists is that no amount of evidence will ever suffice. They are convinced of their views. You could drag these guys by the ear through Tikrit and they would still come away chanting the same old mantra. Until they simply self-destruct, go insane, or abandon their absurd political beliefs and face reality.

It's fun to watch them though.

I actually got inerviewed twice in Iraq last month. The reporters seemed like decent guys, but their bias was so palpable it was ridiculous. They had no interest whatsoever in what we were doing, unless someone would confirm their "quagmire" thesis.

Some of the reporters were damned brave though. I was impressed and suprised by that. I expected them to shit their drawers under fire, but most of them kept it together (about 1 in 20 soldiers DO NOT keep it together when they are first under fire--they collapse into weeping lumps).

From: Pax Americana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mohamad Khan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1752

posted 27 April 2003 01:27 PM      Profile for Mohamad Khan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
okaaaay...if this is so, can anybody tell me tell me why the Observer thinks that the documents were found "by a British newspaper"?

quote:
Remarkable though it is, the find is unlikely to be the 'smoking gun' the US and Britain are looking for.

Representatives from the Mukhabarat are known to have travelled to Kandahar in the late Nineties to build links with al-Qaeda. Most analysts believe, however, that the ideological differences between the Iraqis and the terrorists were insurmountable.

The talks are thought to have ended disastrously for the Iraqis, as bin Laden rejected any kind of alliance, preferring to pursue his own policy of global jihad , or holy war.

From: "Glorified Harlem": Morningside Heights, NYC | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 27 April 2003 01:40 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well the first I haeard of it it was a Telegraph reporter who found the docs. I suppose it is perfectly likely that a Canadian reporter was there as well.

I just got back. After the hotel deal the reporters travelled in packs even more than before. Most of them hired well-armed bodygards as well, although I doubt they'll tell you that. I can tell you that many of them came damned close to getting themselves killed when their macho moron Iraqi bodyguards started walking toward our positions with MP5's out in the open.

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 27 April 2003 07:03 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Star story does not name any other discoverer.
To me, it is passing strange that the CIA would not have removed every single document from the Iraqi intelligence offices; why would they leave such an important thing to chance? Did they not suspect that Iraqi civilians would be looking through the docs for people to blackmail, etc. etc. etc?

So I was sceptical of the original stories which ran in the Telegraph, claiming "links" between Iraq and Russia, and Iraq and France.

Also, as the Star story makes clear, the document simply had Bin Laden's name whited-out with a commercial white-out product. One would think Iraqi Intelligence would be aware of the concept of burn-bags, or at least, fire.

Still, this MIGHT be a real document. One reason to think so is that it mentions Bin Laden only as someone who could be used against Saudi Arabia. I would think a planted document would tie Iraq into the Al Quaeda campaign against the US, not the one against Saudi Arabia.

A second reason to believe it might be a real document is the date. It is dated 1998, a time before Al Quaeda became part of the US government's most wanted criminal groups. If someone wanted to tie Al-Quaeda to Iraq, I would think they would create a date which is more incriminating.

The Star reporter thinks it's real. But I do not put much stock in that, since "Star Reporter Finds Forged Document" won't win much favour in the editorial offices back home. Does anyone remember the Gerald Utting case?

[ 27 April 2003: Message edited by: jeff house ]

Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 27 April 2003 07:04 PM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
maybe it's me, but i've heard all this "new" evidence before. i thought the deal was that al-qaeda "elements" and baa'th party intelligence had already had high-level meetings in 1998 or so, but that they failed to agree on how to co-operate ... i.e. iraq as secular and al-qaeda as wanting the caliphate to make a comback.
From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 27 April 2003 08:39 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
OH-58A Kiowa Light Observation Helicopter with M134 Minigun on XM27E1 armament subsystem
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 April 2003 10:48 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I actually got inerviewed twice in Iraq last month. The reporters seemed like decent guys, but their bias was so palpable it was ridiculous. They had no interest whatsoever in what we were doing, unless someone would confirm their "quagmire" thesis.

Ah, talking to those Fox reporters, eh? Did you not read any of the reports from all those embedded reporters? A lot of them were only interested in what you were doing. Some troops is going to have a kid and… yawn… Becky holds here own and… yawn… And what were you doing? Were you finally paying "them" back for Sept 11?

And only one in twenty cocooned themselves? What, your pansy sergeants couldn't break them down and weed them out before they sent them to do a man's job?

radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 28 April 2003 12:42 AM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Who knows...the document could be real, it could be a fake.

The CIA could very well be just plain incompetent...or they might have planted the document there.

Unless this particular document is linked together with a whole lot of other documents this isn't the "smoking gun" of an Al Qaeda/Sadam Hussein link.

All in all its pretty meaningless.

From: a Micro$oft-free computer | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 28 April 2003 09:25 AM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
clockwork, pretty brave mocking a soldier over the internet. Why don't you tell him what you really think ?

[ 28 April 2003: Message edited by: DaddySno ]

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 28 April 2003 09:39 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
DaddySno, pretty brave talking to clockwork over the Internet. Why don't you tell hem ... er ... on second thought, nah, don't.

I find it absolutely amazing what Telegraph reporters can find about anti-war politicians, governments that didn't support the war, and neat stuff to support the war from bombed out, burnt our buildings that neither the looters nor the Americans managed to find.

They are not reporters. They are rummagers par excellence. Or more likely dupes.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 28 April 2003 09:44 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
clockwork, pretty brave mocking a soldier over the internet.

Yeah, strange how he would do that, this being an internet discussion board and all.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 28 April 2003 10:08 AM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not strange. Expected. But not strange.

quote:
They are not reporters. They are rummagers par excellence. Or more likely dupes.

Why do you guys even ask for proof of WMD or a link between Saddam and Osama ? No matter what is found you guys will dismiss it.

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 28 April 2003 10:14 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, the provenance of the documents is in question. Particularly when we remember that forging documents is something the CIA excells at.

(Remember the 'Canadian Caper' from the Iranian/GOP hostage taking in Tehran)

Be that as it may, they don't seem terribly remarkable, and even if so, don't lend support to the invasion of Iraq even if they were a "how to" manual on crashing jets into sky scrapers.

The justification for invading a nation has to come before the invasion, not after.

On the surface, I tend to think like Jeff does, that the documents are probably genuine simply because they are so unremarkable.

As I said before, it isn't necessary for the GOP regime in Washington to prove its case post hoc; a sizable minority in the States apparently believe Saddam was behind Sept. 11th, mostly on the strength of GOP newspaper columnists innuendo; and, there's little time to analyse the Iraq situation, when we're already moving on to the next batch of lies.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 28 April 2003 10:42 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I disagree Tommy. I think the sale of this war is an ongoing effort. Both in Britain and the United States. I think it is more of a sales mission in Britain where Tony Blair's political future is at stake and where, surprise, surprise, the Telegraph, which has been scooping this story, is located.

I think, they think, if they can discredit critical domestic politicans, France and Germany, and link Saddam, somehow, to Osama, everyone wil forget Blair lied about the WMD's.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 28 April 2003 11:03 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wing-nut, Blair lied about WMD?how can you say that?Its not a matter of if he had them but where.The world knows he has them.you seam to not to belive this. There is no evidence of him destroying them and this is undisputed worldwide.Now how can you say he lied?Let me geuss,you belive no Jews were killed in WWII?
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 28 April 2003 11:16 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I would simply ask you to tell me, if they existed, where are they? But with this:
quote:
Let me geuss,you belive no Jews were killed in WWII?

I conclude you are a troll, an asshole, and not worth any efort on my part. Now kindly fuck off back to the slime you crawled out from.

Chickenbum
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1917

posted 28 April 2003 12:13 PM      Profile for Chickenbum     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The star likes to trill it's own horn, and statements like "reporters concluded the letter was genuine" is kind of comical, like that lends credence to the story.

But it is interesting, pending authentication.

From: happily functioning in society | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 28 April 2003 12:33 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
what about the terorist camp that "DIDNT EXSIST" either we found some interesting stuff there...or did you forget what was found there wingnut?when the evidence is found what will you say then?how much do u need? let me know.5 year olds in jail "DIDNT EXSIST"...SCUDS.."DIDNT EXSIST"...TOURTUE CAMBERS "DIDNT EXSIST" tell me what eles dosent exsist? do you exsist? maybe you dont.....
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 28 April 2003 12:33 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Highly suspicious of "news" stories prominently featuring...the reporter. There is no "I" in the 5 W's.

But what if it is real? So what. Does anyone think that similar documents couldn't be found in Langley, Va? The CIA would be pretty incompetent NOT to have contacts in these organizations. It's their whole goddamn raison d'etre. Like moles in the KGB, you gotta know what's going on. This isn't saying that the CIA is in some sort of kahoots with Osama (anymore), but that intelligence agencies must have connections to who they are...er...intelligencing(?).

Ah, minigun's back to regale us all with stories of his single-handed conquest of Mesopotamia.

Not interested. If I want to hear stories like that, I'll talk to Paul Bernardo.

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 28 April 2003 12:36 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Maybe, one of you can tell me where I can buy a stopped-up nose, for there is no work more disgusting than to mix food for a dung-beetle and to carry it to him. A pig or a dog will at least pounce upon our excrement without more ado, but this foul wretch affects the disdainful, the spoilt mistress, and won't eat unless I offer him a cake that has been kneaded for an entire day.... But let us open the door a bit ajar without his seeing it. Has he done eating? Come, pluck up courage, cram yourself till you burst! The cursed creature! It wallows in its food! It grips it between its claws like a wrestler clutching his opponent, and with head and feet together rolls up its paste like a rope-maker twisting a hawser. What an indecent, stinking, gluttonous beast! I don't know what angry god let this monster loose upon us, but of a certainty it was neither Aphrodite nor the Graces.
--Peace, Aristophanes (Eugene O'Neill, Jr. edition)

[ 28 April 2003: Message edited by: Mandos ]

From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 28 April 2003 12:40 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And we would have found them easier if we had cut the crap with the UN 5 years ago.Give any one 12 years to hide something in a country.Maybe there were even exported out how scary is that. It makes you realize how good 50 middle age guys with clipboards were.
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 28 April 2003 12:47 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
It makes you realize how good 50 middle age guys with clipboards were.

...and how well some of them can be paid off.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 28 April 2003 12:47 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

sheep
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2119

posted 28 April 2003 12:51 PM      Profile for sheep     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If I want to hear stories like that, I'll talk to Paul Bernardo.

You guys are on friendly terms?

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 28 April 2003 01:08 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How conveinient. Bomb their food then be the hero with food in the name of the crusade.

Find WMD (Who says U.S. isin't planting them)
Osama And Saddam (Osama and Bush are linked too!)
Mass Graves (Which ones? the ones Bush or Saddam created)

Oil is pumping, priceless artifacts stolen by non other than someone who knows what they're doing.

WHAT A CON JOB

From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 28 April 2003 01:19 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A neo-con job?
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 28 April 2003 01:29 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh i know! another 12 more years! yes that would be the answer!yep good idea guys!make it a total of 24 years.If we all make it that long.Canadian Cities are close to U.S ones.what happens to The USA happenes to Cananda where you like it or not.
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 28 April 2003 01:33 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Buffalo,washington state.Detroit Chicago...hmm nucler fallout from Chicago would not be nice across southern OntarioThe Weather travel from west to east in case you didnt know.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 28 April 2003 01:33 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, Saddam might have whacked Detroit with a non-existent nuclear missile. That would've taught us.
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 28 April 2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Saddam couldn't defend his own country, but that doesn't mean he can't KILL US ALL AND EAT YOUR CHILDREN!!!!

Just think, those nuclear and chemical weapons that they used on the brave US freedomites during the war could have been used on Winnipeg or Sackville!!

What's that? Oh....never mind.

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 28 April 2003 01:41 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
W.Nut, just wanna ask. Is there anything that they could find in Iraq that would convince you that it was time to get rid of Saddam ?
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 28 April 2003 01:43 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, chemical, biological or nuclear weapons with warheads and missiles capable of reaching North America just like they said he had presenting a clear and present danger.

Where are they?

Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 28 April 2003 01:49 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Maybe the fascists are telling us the truth. They really do want a US style democracy for Iraq.

That isn't a Dixie Chick, is it?

kuba walda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3134

posted 28 April 2003 01:54 PM      Profile for kuba walda        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
.Canadian Cities are close to U.S ones.what happens to The USA happenes to Cananda where you like it or not.

Really?

I didn't see any planes flying into any buildings here on Sept 11th, 2001.

kuba, from a country not known world-wide for its arrogance

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 28 April 2003 01:54 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Oh i know! another 12 more years! yes that would be the answer!yep good idea guys!make it a total of 24 years.If we all make it that long.Canadian Cities are close to U.S ones.what happens to The USA happenes to Cananda where you like it or not.
No one to blame except the Americans.

And us worrying about what Saddam might have done or could have done is merely stupid. The focus is what are we "doing" (U.S.)! There would be no "might haves" if we stopped doing the "do's"

This is how peace and security will/can come.

From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 28 April 2003 02:05 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Back a little closer to topic, Here it says, from the whitehouse, that the WMD charge was pretty much made up.

quote:
If weapons of mass destruction were not the primary reason for war, what was? Here's the answer officials and advisers gave ABCNEWS.

The Sept. 11, 2001, attacks changed everything, including the Bush administration's thinking about the Middle East — and not just Saddam Hussein.

How 'bout that, eh? It was all lies. Hmm.

Keep in mind this is from ABC news, the same source that says, on another page, that defending your own country from invasion by a foreign military by any means at your disposal is not fighting fair. That guerrilla warfare is "illegal" in the defense of your own country. I guess they must consider George Washington among the worst terrorists in history.

I think we can say that an admission by one of the State's propaganda arms that they lied about the whole thing is pretty significant.

DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 28 April 2003 02:22 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In Iraq. Now, how about they find some chemical, biological or nuclear weapons but, not the delivery systems ?
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 28 April 2003 02:31 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaddySno:
In Iraq. Now, how about they find some chemical, biological or nuclear weapons but, not the delivery systems ?

That was the excuse. That Iraq was a clear and present danger to the security of the US and UK. That at any moment these weapons could be used. They couldn't wait for the UN because they could be too late.

Without delivery systems, they are paper weights. If I have a bullet, but no gun, am I a threat?

edited to say: Nifty quote function! How long has it been there?

[ 28 April 2003: Message edited by: Jingles ]

DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 28 April 2003 02:47 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Without delivery systems, they are paper weights. If I have a bullet, but no gun, am I a threat?

Depends. Can you smuggle a bullet into a country and detonate it ? Do you not see how silly that arguement is ? Also, it would be in defiance of 12 years of UN resolutions.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 28 April 2003 02:48 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, so why'd you make it?
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 28 April 2003 02:50 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jingles:

edited to say: Nifty quote function! How long has it been there?

[ 28 April 2003: Message edited by: Jingles ]

Just a couple of days - since Saturday, I think.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 28 April 2003 02:54 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Yeah, so why'd you make it?

W.Nut, please.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 28 April 2003 03:08 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, c'mon, detonating a bullet outside the chmaber of a gun is only dangerous to the person detonating it.
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 28 April 2003 04:04 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ok W.Nut. A bullet needs a gun to make it dangerous, while a bomb doesn't need a delivery system to make it dangerous. Do you see how silly it is ?
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 28 April 2003 04:14 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not yet. Because returning to the argument:
quote:
hat Iraq was a clear and present danger to the security of the US and UK. That at any moment these weapons could be used. They couldn't wait for the UN because they could be too late.

A WMD without an interballistic missile to deliver it, cannot be "a clear and present danger" to an American or British citizen sitting down to watch American Idol.

And if there was no "clear and present danger" not just because there was a delivery system but because there were no war heads, means that the entire war was based on a false pretext. And why would they lie? And more than that, at one point do you acknowledge they were lying? And when you do, what does it mean to you?

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 28 April 2003 04:16 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A bullet needs a gun to make it dangerous,
Not true.

From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 28 April 2003 05:00 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A WMD without an interballistic missile to deliver it, cannot be "a clear and present danger" to an American or British citizen sitting down to watch American Idol.

W.Nut, I'm trying to debate with you. I can't when you choose to start mocking people. Sorry.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 28 April 2003 05:06 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So what part of "Iraq didn't have intercontinental launch capability" did you not understand?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 28 April 2003 05:29 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What about the first time the WTC was bombed in '93 ? I can't remember, what country launched that one ?
kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 28 April 2003 05:40 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
DaddySno:

Thanks for the backup. I don't know whether this will be posted or not. Every second fucking (that resulted in

FUCKK!!! Can you guys read this post? These goddamed security opups are driving me insane (i typed that last sentence with 1 s

FUCK OFF CENTCOM/CIA/RCMP

Stop it you freaking idiots (5 sec warninga whi

screw it

Hawkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3306

posted 28 April 2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Hawkins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So conventional weapons are illegal aswell now?

Who would have thought the millions of depleated uranium left behind after the first gulf war were actually weapons of mass destruction...

Oh how about the millions of tons of bombs dropped? Caused some mass destruction if you asked me.

Looks like the US is the only one doing mass destruction to me... Maybe I am wrong, that all those bombs were really iraqi and they weren't launched against Iraq but Israel. I am sorry, the liberal media has gotten to me again!

From: Burlington Ont | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
cynic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2857

posted 28 April 2003 06:06 PM      Profile for cynic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by kiowa:
DaddySno:

Thanks for the backup. I don't know whether this will be posted or not. Every second fucking (that resulted in

FUCKK!!! Can you guys read this post? These goddamed security opups are driving me insane (i typed that last sentence with 1 s

FUCK OFF CENTCOM/CIA/RCMP

Stop it you freaking idiots (5 sec warninga whi

screw it

I see the meds kicked in...

From: Calgary, unfortunately | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 28 April 2003 06:25 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Yeah, chemical, biological or nuclear weapons with warheads and missiles capable of reaching North America just like they said he had presenting a clear and present danger.

Where are they?

wow how ignorant you are...what a shame do you really think it will come in the form of a missle? its him with common goal against the USA ,with the other goups of islamic militants.Its him giving technology to these pepole that is the problem.why cant you see this?Geuss what Canada your next after the USA...cause your the infidels also.remeber that and dont forget that Mr. Infidel

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 28 April 2003 06:26 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Maybe the fascists are telling us the truth. They really do want a US style democracy for Iraq.

That isn't a Dixie Chick, is it?

Talk about taking something outa context!

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 28 April 2003 06:28 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Thehellyousay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3996

posted 28 April 2003 06:40 PM      Profile for Thehellyousay        Edit/Delete Post
Too bad they don't do that duct tape trick here in Canada. Who would you stifle if you could get away with it? Probably every activist and protestor and demonstrator that ever lived, half of the tabloid rags like rabble, the province of Quebec, Willie Nelson, Micheal Moore, our idiot prime minister, David Suzuki, the CBC...

Hope Red Green has left some duct tape for the rest of us...

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 28 April 2003 06:47 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"I see the meds kicked in... "

Obviously you have not tried going to risque websites on military dime.

I actually support mot of the ideas you guys hold.

By the way, I did not expect that that post would be posted. I was pretty much hammering on the keyboard, drinking whiskey, and yelling at My Gen.'s secretary.

Sorry to confuse babblers with a post which aimed at US DD.

Quick mote: GOD I love the fact that babble still exists! Keep on truckin' dissenters! It's what we fight for.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 28 April 2003 06:51 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I dont belive in censorship...but some takes a picture outa context above and the add there own little caption without even knowing the circumstance
for all you know that man in the picture just killed his partner and he surendered to the soldier who really felt like killing him. But instend he just detaned him..See I can do that too!

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 28 April 2003 06:57 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Probably every activist and protestor and demonstrator that ever lived, half of the tabloid rags like rabble, the province of Quebec, Willie Nelson, Micheal Moore, our idiot prime minister, David Suzuki, the CBC...

Why stop there? Why not everyone that doesn't agree with everything that you say? Hell, why not everyone that isn't you? And why stop at taping their mouths shut? Why not their mouths AND their noses too, so's they suffocate, the evil pricks? That'd show 'em for ignoring the great and glorious YOU, LORD GOD OF ALL!!!!!!! WHY WILL NO_ONE BOW DOWN BEFORE THE OBVIOUS GREATNESS OF MEEEEE?????!?!?!?!?!?

Thehellyousay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3996

posted 28 April 2003 06:57 PM      Profile for Thehellyousay        Edit/Delete Post
I don't believe in censorship either, Libertyman.

But after reading the opinions of some of these left wing goofs, I wish I did!

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 28 April 2003 06:59 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't believe in censorship either, Libertyman.

You just advocate it because it tickles your vanity then I suppose....

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 28 April 2003 06:59 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh dear, what Forum closed. The Franksters were much nicer.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 28 April 2003 07:06 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Quick mote: GOD I love the fact that babble still exists! Keep on truckin' dissenters! It's what we fight for.

Lemme guess... you're attached to the 101st Patronizing Division, Fourth Condescension Brigade?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 28 April 2003 07:18 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
yes THEHELLYOUSAY..your right....but in the battle of left wing socialist we must not stoop to there level of double talk and taking thinks outa context.so stand strong my friend .the facts dont lie.Let them spin all they want.The world is waking up to there ways.
Hawkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3306

posted 28 April 2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Hawkins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes they certainly are...

I can see the whole social movement collapsing because of US propaganda. That is quite an interesting analysis for millions of pro preace protestors, but hey if it floats your wholy boat then well I hope your bucket is big enough to bail you out of all the BS that has flooded your "boat".

Really you accuse of us needing to provide proof about WMD, though its kind hard when there isn't any. But that must mean they are there right, and in even larger quantities then before! They are covered in magical pixie dust that covers them from our sight, of course the pixie dust was bought from Osama himself from his chemical labs in Syria which are supplied by North Korea... Too bad I don't have a lepricon that could look through this pixie dust screen though, because even he would tell you that there aren't any WMD.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 28 April 2003 08:17 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Methinks that Canada vs U.S debate board has collapsed. How sad.
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 28 April 2003 08:20 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Unfortunately I am mistaken.
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 28 April 2003 08:25 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I geuss the world is`nt a better place with out Taliban And the `Bath party in Iraq.And there no plots agianst the West.Ok keep on spinning!Dont worry we will protect you ...agian...Where the good `ol days of storming the beach at normandy and protecting the liberty ships to the UK..Come Back Canada, come Back our dear brothers!
Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 28 April 2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why don't you guys catch up.
From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 28 April 2003 08:46 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hawkins, in all seriousness. Do you believe that Saddam Hussein does not have any WMD ?
Catchfire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4019

posted 28 April 2003 08:49 PM      Profile for Catchfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why are you guys entertaining this troll? He hasn't had anything worthwhile, intelligent or fact-based to say for any of his posts. He was going a little crazy back then when everyone was (rightfully) ignoring his tirades.

Just put him back to bed where he belongs.

From: On the heather | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3306

posted 28 April 2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Hawkins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mr Sno, USE YOUR BRAIN. If you have ever read a single word I have said you would know where I stand, even if the sarcasm is a bit too think for you.

1944s is nice and all but let me remind you that there were many many many Canadian ships guarding the convoys, our troops landed on the beaches of Normandy as well. Infact we were the first to reach our objective and secured the beach. But hey, live in a hole and guess what one gets? Ignorance.

You really think that the US is safer now? I don't think Canada is safer, though we are lucky we did not assosiate with terrorists in the last few months *cough* (thats a sign for you Sno, I think you can decern what I am implying) for it would mean that Canada would also become a target.

And launching a war onto another nation by using lies and propaganda is sorta like well gee let me think Guatemala. Hmmm.... Looks like they really got their freedom from those evil communists, 35 years later mindyou and after 200 000 confirmed dead and one million displaced.. But they got it right?

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 28 April 2003 09:35 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why do these red-white-and blue goofs keep trying to convince us that they are protecting us?

Normandy? Johnny Canuck made the furthest inland penetration of any Allied force on June 6, 1944, thank you very much. Our little country's troops held off the cream of the Wehrmacht throughout that bloody summer, allowing the US to build up its forces before they could swing around the bulk of the German Army.

Do they forget the Battle of Britain, when all that stood between the Nazis and Times Square was "the Few"?

Who? Our historiographically-challenged southern yahoos ask. The UK, some Poles, Canada and the rest of the British Commonwealth. That's who.

The good 'ol USA was too busy profiteering off both sides to take much interest in the outcome of the war.

Hawkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3306

posted 28 April 2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Hawkins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not to mention that all British allied pilots were trained in Canada.

Canada didn't have the 4th largest navy in the world, the third largest allied airforce and one of the largest armies after WW II for no apparent reason. No we built all that stuff just to sit outside Toronto, knowing that the Americans are the only foreign invading army ever to set foot onto the colony/country of Canada (the French and British wars occurred when Canada did not exist)...

Ignorance is bliss they say? Rather foolish if you ask me.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 28 April 2003 09:49 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins:

Canada didn't have the 4th largest navy in the world, the third largest allied airforce and one of the largest armies after WW II for no apparent reason.

Sorry, mate, yer wrong. Canada had the THIRD largest navy in the world at the end of the war.

Hawkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3306

posted 28 April 2003 09:59 PM      Profile for Hawkins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
ahh shoot. sorry was remembering back to grade 10...

nevertheless a huge armed forces for a country of 11 million (thats right isn't it?) compared to other countries. And considering it grew from a mothballed WWI armed forces to quickly develop, many should take notice that when REAL freedom is on the line Canada is there and willing. We have not stopped this policy either, being one of the largest contributers to the peacekeeping missions around the world. Though we have slacked off, which is a contention of mine specially considering we send troops to Afghanistan under an American label. We should work with the UN for their "military" opperations actually are setup to help the people of the country they go to... Not to shoot 'um up and neglect the people and claim falsities of freedom and such.

/rant over

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 28 April 2003 10:06 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm no military historian but I always wondered about this claim. Some use it as nostalgia trip for Canada's glorious military past when we were a player. But I look at it this way: After the war, the military machines of France, Germany, Italy, Japan, etc were decimated. To stand up and claim after all is said and done that we had the third largest navy in the world strikes me as… well… it seems a bit misleading. And really, are we counting all the ships in the merchant marines or real military vessels, the corvettes and stuff?

Or do the Swiss claim the tenth largest navy in the world after WWII because it had a few catamarans on Lake Geneva?

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 28 April 2003 10:23 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This link qualifies it as third largest Allied navy.

Another site says:

The R.C.N.was established in 1910 and over that period has had a valiant and distinguished history. In WW11 it had become the third largest operational navy in the world, growing to a total of 427 naval craft. It sunk a total of 30 U-boats and 3 Italian Submarines. Sank, captured or destroyed 42 enemy surface ships. The R.C.N. lost 24 warships, 2024 were killed in action, 319 seriously wounded and 95 prisoners of war.

Apparently by the end of the war there were 113000 persenal in the navy.

Okay, that's big. I found a Telegraph article saying the the RCN consisted of "a half dozen vessels" before the war.

[ 28 April 2003: Message edited by: clockwork ]

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 28 April 2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Perhaps some of the rednecks here objecting to being stereotyped should take a closer look at the company they keep....
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 28 April 2003 10:42 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And if they're really defending our freedom of speech, they might want to protest this....

[ 28 April 2003: Message edited by: Lard tunderin' jeesus ]

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 28 April 2003 10:43 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Do you believe that Saddam Hussein does not have any WMD ?

He was a she?

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 28 April 2003 10:51 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Why are you guys entertaining this troll? He hasn't had anything worthwhile, intelligent or fact-based to say for any of his posts. He was going a little crazy back then when everyone was (rightfully) ignoring his tirades."

See here is where I'll call you. I was Minigun on this board before I got banned when some guy called me a "terrorist" online.

My name is Ted Myllmaki

Lt. Col. US Army. Ret.

I will gladly meet any young punk in person who wants to shoot his mouth off. Set the time, date and weight of boxing gloves. (I was Army welterweight in 85).

If you want to discuss these issues intelligently then I'm all yours, but if you insult my coutrymen then expect a confrontation.

Peace out, Canada. Word.

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 28 April 2003 11:01 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I was Minigun

We would have never guessed!

Threatening strangers with violece on an internet forum, over sticks and stones, means you need help.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 28 April 2003 11:05 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yep, definitely a no-no.
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 28 April 2003 11:09 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Set the time, date and weight of boxing gloves.

Geez, Ted, I'm a Canadian.

Here, we meet over beers, armed with a 2-4, drink all night, then see who's left standing when the cases are empty....

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 28 April 2003 11:13 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If you want to discuss these issues intelligently then I'm all yours, but if you insult my coutrymen then expect a confrontation.

Michael Moore is a fat slob red neck from Michigan that twists the truth to his own ends. If you're ever in Toronto, phone me up. I'd like to see you defend your fellow citizen.

PS: Al Gore is a dweeb.

[ 28 April 2003: Message edited by: clockwork ]

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 28 April 2003 11:14 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 28 April 2003 11:16 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Here, we meet over beers, armed with a 2-4, drink all night, then see who's left standing when the cases are empty...."

Point well taken. I was out fo line. Bear with me please. My wife hates me and I've still got ringing in my ears from (not the minigun, that's relatively quiet. We slink low under the duned until the Apaches and the Warthogs let loose. Then it's 120 db at 300 yards.

Anyhow the quote above represents the Canuck humor I get from Rolston.

[ 28 April 2003: Message edited by: kiowa ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 28 April 2003 11:19 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by kiowa:
I was Minigun on this board...

No kidding? I believe we have your picture on the preceding page....

How could a retired Colonel be diddy-bopping around the boonies of Baghdad in a helicopter...unless you didn't actually fly around Iraq in a helicopter a few weeks ago?

Back to you, skipper.

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 28 April 2003 11:26 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mr. al-Qa'bong

We are not all 19 year old grunts. "Ret." simply means we put in 20 years. We can elect to serve in the National Guard afterward, as I did. I was activated beacuse shooting and flying at the same time does not come naturally to your average teenager.

What, sir, were you doing to improve the lot of mankind in the past few decades (aside from teasing soldiers)?

[ 28 April 2003: Message edited by: kiowa ]

Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 29 April 2003 01:47 AM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Brap!Brap!Brap!Brap!Brap!Brap!
Git some!
Iraqis are the cancer! We're the cure!
Git some!
The chick was in the way!

Your countrymen, who started and fought this war, are cowards, fascists, and murderers. Have another drink.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 29 April 2003 01:51 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
What, sir, were you doing to improve the lot of mankind in the past few decades (aside from teasing soldiers)?

I see. So you folks ARE on a Crusade?

beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 29 April 2003 02:19 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I see Mr. Minigun/Kiowa/Myllmaki has reverted to a pattern of behaviour I remember well from the days I first started lurking on Babble:

POST #1: "I'm gonna kill you/fuck you up/beat the shit out of you/rip your head off and piss down your throat/... etc. etc."

POST #2: (the next day) "I apologize for my previous post. I was out of line."

Y'know, Kiowa, you wouldn't have to apologize if you didn't go berzerk in the first place! You're just gonna get yourself banned again.

Glad you made it back safely.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 29 April 2003 02:38 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Back to the topic of this thread...

Even if this "link" does turn out to be true and not a plant or a forgery, so what? This war was not undertaken to fight terrorism or al-Qaeda; those nutbars at the Project for the New American Century were urging an attack on Iraq way back in the mid-'90s, long before 9/11, back when Osama was a mere blip on the radar screen.

In any event, Dubya has already provided more service for bin Laden's cause than Saddam ever could have in his wildest dreams. Is there anybody crazy enough to believe that al-Qaeda is finding it harder now to recruit new members than it was two months ago? How many new Mohammad Attas are there out there, just beginning to formulate their plans for eventual revenge...?

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 29 April 2003 03:14 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Even if this "link" does turn out to be true and not a plant or a forgery, so what? This war was not undertaken to fight terrorism or al-Qaeda

Americans will believe whatever CNN anf Faux News tells them often enough.

DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 29 April 2003 03:34 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Your countrymen, who started and fought this war, are cowards, fascists, and murderers. Have another drink.

Jingles, you've just surpassed skdadl in the disgusting department. Just my opinion, though.

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 29 April 2003 03:42 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Jingles, you've just surpassed skdadl in the disgusting department. Just my opinion, though.

But they have such long way to go to catch up to you. Just my opinion, though.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 29 April 2003 03:48 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It seems to me they are no worse than your friends libertybanana and kiowa.

I mean, as far as I can tell you are all still living in fantasy land.

Now, libertybanana says missiles aren't needed at all for Iraq to present a clear and present danger. But, we were told that American and British cities could be attacked within 45 minutes by ... by what? Saddam's suitcase?

You guys are hilarious.

Okay, okay, let's say there are no missiles. Maybe Bush and Blair only meant that a suitcase could be delivered by UPS and they could have it at the depot within 45 mninutes. Fair enough.

But then where are the tons, and tons of weapons that were supposed to fill those suitcases?

Wait, wait, the British Government is about say something on the matter:

quote:
THERE may be NO weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, Foreign Secretary Jack Straw admitted yesterday.

He told the Commons that war was declared because the regime had ONCE been in possession of them.

src: click

Ohhhhhh, once had. Not has. Not presents a clear and present danger. Not 45 minutes by missile or suitcase to the depot. Not at all. But had, once upon a time. Way back when. So for how long, then, had Iraq been in compliance?

How does that fit in with your fantasies?

[ 29 April 2003: Message edited by: WingNut ]

DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 29 April 2003 04:02 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
45 minutes ? That's the first I ever heard that. Maybe you read it on one of your left wing, out of touch with reality sites.

quote:
But they have such long way to go to catch up to you. Just my opinion, though.

If I was 12, around your age, I might respond.

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 29 April 2003 04:06 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If I was 12, around your age, I might respond.

And that was...? A response dumbass. You really can't help yourself can you?

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 29 April 2003 04:06 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
45 minutes ? That's the first I ever heard that. Maybe you read it on one of your left wing, out of touch with reality sites.

Why don't you read the linked articles, daddy? Then you would know who said it.

I guess that is the difference between us. I get my news from many different sources and filter through it. You get yours from the Pentagon and absorb it.

Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 29 April 2003 04:07 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Hmmm..I can see how tearing men to shreds with a Gatling gun (and bragging about it)represents a high-water mark in mankind's struggle against oppression...

DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 29 April 2003 04:32 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I guess that is the difference between us. I get my news from many different sources and filter through it. You get yours from the Pentagon and absorb it.

Yeah. Reuters and The Guardian. Almost forgot. The Star.

[ 29 April 2003: Message edited by: DaddySno ]

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 29 April 2003 04:40 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
See, you are steeped in ignorance. I don't even remember the last time I linked a Tor Star story and it has been quite a while for the Guardian as well.

You can't even be bothered to look at the links never mind read them. Nothing like wallowing in your own ignorance.

Tell you what, don't reply to me anymore. I don't mind aggressive debate. Love it. I don't mind someone getting mad at me. I don't mind being called names. But I can't stand someone too closed minded to actually consider reading a news report.

Such a person is wallowing in their own ignorance and is beneath contempt.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 29 April 2003 04:44 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

How interesting. I've never before posted to this thread, and yet there's my handle, big as life. Don't believe that's ever happened to me before.

DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 29 April 2003 04:47 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
And that was...? A response dumbass. You really can't help yourself can you?

Not when it comes to you Scouty-poo.

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 29 April 2003 05:16 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Excuse me while I go shower.
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 29 April 2003 05:23 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Tell you what, don't reply to me anymore. I don't mind aggressive debate. Love it. I don't mind someone getting mad at me. I don't mind being called names. But I can't stand someone too closed minded to actually consider reading a news report.

Such a person is wallowing in their own ignorance and is beneath contempt.

What exactly are you trying to tell me W.Nut ?

[ 29 April 2003: Message edited by: DaddySno ]

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 29 April 2003 11:01 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
but then where are the tons, and tons of weapons that were supposed to fill those suitcases?
ammm excuse me......psst!sorry to bother you,but it only takes a couple of ounces on material.ok go back to what you were saying whigg nut.Thank you.

verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 29 April 2003 11:03 PM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Libertyman," huh? Were you once French, by any chance?
From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 29 April 2003 11:18 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If it wasnt for the USA you would all be speaking German.
Canada living off the back of NORAD all these years

pepole starving , USA helps
Killing muslums in Kosavo, USA helps
natural disasters ,USA helps
13 tornados touch down in mid west? no one helps
floods the Mississippi? no one helps
Is there anything the USA does right to you pepole?
Iraq invades Kuwait...no problem with that?
USA invades Iraq cause it didnt aggree to the siez-fire for 12 years?And you Bash the USA?
are you guys for real?
are you actualy going to take a qoute from this
and try and make a point?
Then the world is in bigger trouble then I thought.Not from terroist or rouge states...its YOU pepole , witch give them the welcome mat they desire.Wake up!

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 29 April 2003 11:20 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Verbat? why do u ask if I am French?
Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 29 April 2003 11:23 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Troll off!
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 29 April 2003 11:27 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
SO you want the welcome mat I see scout? or no?
Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 29 April 2003 11:56 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If it wasnt for the USA you would all be speaking German.
Canada living off the back of NORAD all these years

Not another walk down this path, I am having deja vu!

quote:
are you actualy going to take a qoute from this and try and make a point?

You made no points or any sort of sense worth debating. You actually don't seems to know what debating is about, you rant, viciously and then generalize. I'm afraid it's you who needs to wake up and grow up.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 29 April 2003 11:58 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I know I know, the truth hurts scout.
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 12:04 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
libertyman, you wouldn't recognize the truth if it was in front of you.
Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 30 April 2003 12:04 AM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I know, the pain is terrible, you have so masterfully pegged me and now I am crying so hard I have split a seam.

[ 30 April 2003: Message edited by: Scout ]

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 12:06 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is a left forum!!!!Oh my gawd how come nobody told me.
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 12:07 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
but when you spurt out mis-truths its ok then?ok I know double standard.I Know the role.Here we go again.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 30 April 2003 12:07 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
floods the Mississippi? no one helps

See, libertyman is a filthy liar as I suspected.
I was in Iowa with a large number of Canadians during the last big flood. In fact, except for the organizers, who were mostly Lutheran, most of the volunteers were Canadian.

Stupidity hurts doesn't it libertyjerk.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 12:11 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
wig nut! wow man we agree on something......! wow mare this date.The ONLY country that does help the USA ,and my mistake for not saying so,is Canada .
I appologize.My point was that the rest of the world does not.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 12:23 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
stick and stones...blah blah
wing nut, no need for name calling.I dont do it to you.

cynic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2857

posted 30 April 2003 12:30 AM      Profile for cynic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You know, if you keep feeding him, he'll just get bigger, and he won't fit under the bridge anymore.
From: Calgary, unfortunately | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 12:57 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Common sense challenged people are fascinating. Interesting psychiatric subject.
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 30 April 2003 01:05 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by clersal:
This is a left forum!!!!Oh my gawd how come nobody told me.

Haven't you ever seen "The Manchurian Candidate"? You're slowly coming under our control. Brainwashing. Yessir. There's the ticket. Good ol' Bolshevik subterfuge. This is how we devious commie rats operate.

Here....pick a card....

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 01:18 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, I saw the movie. I don't have a great memory for details in movies. I remember that I thought it was a good movie. I wonder if maybe it is a way of watching TV and movies. It is the baddies against the goodies. I do not see it as having a huge political impact.
Shit I love the Bugs Bunny Show.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 01:25 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
more name calling i see
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 30 April 2003 01:31 AM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Jingles, you've just surpassed skdadl in the disgusting department. Just my opinion, though

Sorry skdadl, didn't mean to step on your toes .

It is interesting what disgusts you. Cluster bombs, napalm, DU, and illegal invasions are okay in your book, but insulting a yammering blowhard is disgusting?

Nice priorities you got there.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 30 April 2003 02:03 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Rape of Iraq
Veronica
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2370

posted 30 April 2003 02:33 AM      Profile for Veronica        Edit/Delete Post
Come on you people. Why is no one talking about the real reason for attacking Iraq. It's all in the New American Century manifesto created in 1992 by Perle, Wolfowitz, et al. which subscribes to the plan to dominate the middle east by regime changes and propping up leaders who are friendly towards American "interests" (oil corporations, etc.). This document actually states that for the administration to be able to get away with it, a catastrophic event needs to happen. And voila! the catastrophic event happened in 2001. And then a vulnerable citizenship and congress rallied around Bush.

The Bush regime saw that the time was ripe - they used this tragedy to commence with the plan created in 1992.

They could now justify attacking Iraq. A huge propaganda/public relations campaign was launched. But the messages kept changing: it went from catching Osama bin Laden and war against terrorists (they lost that "war",) to innuendos about bin Laden and Hussein connections, to WMD, then to governments and regime changes.

The administration underestimated the intelligence of the public. The Bush administration has a WWII mentality trying to convince an electronic era international community with cowboy rhetoric. geez

The body count for civilians is up to 3,000 now.

And it's old men who have never been to war sending young men to die so the corporations can profit from the spoils of war.

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 04:19 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Lot's of raised voices here on this thread. I hope people here agree with me that this is a GOOD THING. If you want to hear raised voices and heated debate then you could do no better than to go to Baghdad right now. Men and women there are carrying on the discussions--sometimes leading to insults and waving fists--which are the very soil in which democracy takes root.

I'm psyched. I want to do Cuba now because we would not have to use any explosives. How do you think Castro would respond when the last thing he saw in this life was my bird materializing outside hie 4th floor Havana office? In 1.5 seconds my gun spins up. After that there is a hail of bullets which you have to be extremely lucky to avoid.

Usted es siguiente, Fidel.

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 04:29 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, and by the way, since you guys are so concerned with racial justice, my latino brothers in arms are just itching to take our Castro.

Bear with us. History is unfolding before you. Democracy is on the march.

Peace out. Word.

beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 30 April 2003 04:33 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Don't worry, Kiowa. There's 97 years left in the New American Century. I'm sure there'll be more than enough imperial conquests in coming years to keep you happy.

By the way, thank you for expressing so concisely the insane, violent fanaticism which has turned about 95% of the planet's population against your deranged government.

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 04:41 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm not revealing anything here which will not be in the NYT shortly. But I guess you must know by now that there was MASSIVE cooperation between us and senior Iraqi military officials who wanted Saddam gone even more than we did.

Why do you think they did not push the button on the wells? Last I heard there were 250 of them wired with C4, timers AND radio receivers. We won this war because the people of Iraq--and especially the military--were on our side, much as the French resistance aided my grandfather's generation when we got Hitler.

Oh, and a postscipt to that thought: we could not have defeated Hitler without Canada. In those days you guys were almost our equals. I wish I could say the same today, but alas, Canadians have decided to follow a very different path over the past 30 years or so.

Hint: Switzerland disses us as well, but they can actually defend themselves when the chips are down.

Well, I'm sure I've pissed y'all off. I'm off to bed. G'nite.

[ 30 April 2003: Message edited by: kiowa ]

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 04:57 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
By the way, thank you for expressing so concisely the insane, violent fanaticism

beluga2, your handle expresses what a lot of Americans think about when they consider Canada. Instead of a beaver you should have a beluga whale on your coins. Silent, gentle, but immensely strong as well.

You should educate yourself about what your forefathers did for you. Every Canadian who walked into German machinegun fire at Normandy (Juno beach) died for you, pal.

Not much else I can say to you. If you're a real man you'll apologize for that characterization forthwith.

TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 30 April 2003 05:59 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
(waving my feather boa, with a come hither look)

If it's a real man yer lookin' fer, honey, I'm yer guy......

kissy kissy.

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 06:02 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here is how I would do it. This is purely my opinion, not represenative of US policy to my knowledge.

We would move several helicopters from Ft. Benning to the United States Army Garrison in Miami. We'd send a weasel to confuse Cuban radar and disrupt comms as much as possible. We would rely on the dissident community in Southern FL to supply us with Castro's whereabouts at a given 0400. We would prepare a delegation of Cuban exiles to form a provisional government. They'd be flown in the next day. My guys could get from Miami to Havana in under 2 hours, including flight time, recon and syncing up with SEALS who would come in by sea.

We would essentially decapitate the communist regime in Cuba immediately. Then we would alow Cubans themselves to decide how they want to run their nation. It would necessitate some "propaganda", but just as in Iraq the people would soon understand that we are liberators, not conquerors (despite the majority view on this site, which is simply false). They would be able to hold the first genuine elections since the early '60's.

It would not be a Bay of Pigs this time. All we need is the fortitude and commitment to the liberation of people from tyranny to carry this out. It should be done. We can't allow Castro's hand-picked follow-on dictator to keep Cubans from enjoying freedom for yet another 40 years.

I'd much rather use choppers than either an F-117 or a spook (AC-130) because we can almost guanrantee a kill with no civilian casualties (except, of course, the poor bastards who happen to be in the room with Fidel at the time). It's far more risky for us, because one old RPG can take us out. But I've made it this far. I expect we'd luck out again. We're the good guys

TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 30 April 2003 06:19 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
*sigh*

....always a bride's maid.......

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 06:23 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Huh. Yeah. I suppose so. But this "wedding" would be of the world's democratic aresnal with Saddam's--oops, I mean Stalin's, oops again, I mean Castro's skull.

These are not the people you should have photos of on your bedroom wall.

TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 30 April 2003 06:43 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So my full size poster of Ru Paul is okay then?
kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 06:49 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey RuPaul is the dog bro. I love queens (please no remarks about soldiers being latent homosexuals)
TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 30 April 2003 06:54 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
didn't ask.

wouldn't tell.

What happens behind closed barraks doors is you and your sergeant's business, not mine.

.....ohhhhhhhhh kiss me good night sergeant major......

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 07:05 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This my rifle, this is my gun...

Don't worry. We insult each other more regularly on a daily basis (off hours, not to an officer's face, natch) than you could muster.

BTW, Iraqi grunts would be executed on the SPOT for joking the way do. Fortunately for them, that's in the past now.

TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 30 April 2003 07:08 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If I'm following your innuendo, I'm now in posession of much more information than I ever really wanted.

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 07:27 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah that's what we all do in the mess after chow: massive orgy. Didn't you know?
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 30 April 2003 09:13 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Kiowa, is your postulated invasion of Cuba supposed to reassure us? "We're the good guys." Jesus. What happens when you decide that Schroeder in Germany has oppressed his people with too much social reform and just has to go? What will happen if the US decides that the Belgian-French-German proposed UN defence league (or whatever they are calling it) is too powerful and threatens US global hegemony? What happens if we vote in a federal NDP government up here that decides to renegotiate free trade? Would you take them out and replace them with ex-pats living in Houston?

You don't even know what democracy is. Democracy is something that people work towards by putting their differences on the table, and compromising until they reach a common goal. Democracy is not the result when one group of bandits is replaced by a different group of bandits. Democracy has never come from the barrel of a gun, and likely never will. I still hold hope for the people of Iraq, but so long as certain groups are excluded from the political process, I don't foresee much of a democratic future there.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 09:44 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
You don't even know what democracy is.

Yes I do, sir. Democracy exists to a greater or lesser degree when citizens are able to vote for their leaders. Your examples are absurd. We would never contemplate invading Canada, Germany, etc. since all of those nations are democracies. We can certainly disagree with Germans and Canadians without actually becoming the imperialist totalitarians which many on the Left seem to think we are (including many people in our own country).

Iraq, Cuba, Syria, Zimbabwe, North Korea--all of the people who live under such regimes deserve better. You are certainly correct that we cannot just invade every nation which is led by a murderous dictator, but neither can we simply ignore evil as we did in Rwanda.

So I do understand what demoracy is. Ideally everyone on earth should enjoy it, as we North Americans do.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 30 April 2003 09:56 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
We would never contemplate invading Canada, Germany, etc. since all of those nations are democracies.

*cough* Chile *uncough*

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 10:00 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I will never claim that we have not made mistakes. Chile was perhaps one of them in some ways. However our overarching goal in the latter half of the 20th century--to resist Soviet communism--was absolutely the right thing to do. Even today Russia is still taking baby-steps toward full democracy, but the people are a damned sight better off now than they were in 1957.
Sisyphus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1425

posted 30 April 2003 10:07 AM      Profile for Sisyphus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
*cough* Chile *uncough*

*cough* Guatemala *uncough*

*cough* Iran *uncough*

*cough* Nicaragua *uncough*

From: Never Never Land | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 10:08 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Absolutely kiowa, we will bring back a Batista type regime, my what a great man. Put up a bunch of MacDonalds. That is sure to civilize them. Bring back all the cuban dissidents and putting them in power is a great idea since Castro had thrown them out of prison to run to Florida.
Then Cuba can regain it's past glory. Whore house for the good old U.S of A.
I bet the Cubans are waiting for this great event with joy in their eyes.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 30 April 2003 10:11 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Regardless of how ridiculous you think that my examples are, it doesn't change the fact that you cannot impose a democracy. An imposed government is not a democracy. When are those elections in Afghanistan scheduled for, again?
Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 30 April 2003 10:15 AM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I will never claim that we have not made mistakes. Chile was perhaps one of them in some ways.
Perhaps? In some ways? More like most definitely, in every single way. The American goverment helped to illegally overthrow a democratically elected goverment, and in the process, aided the ruthless slaughter of innocent civilians. There's no "perhaps" about it.

[ 30 April 2003: Message edited by: Andy Social ]

DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 30 April 2003 10:38 AM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Kiowa, why doesn't your government pull out of all these countries like Afghanistan ? Let Europe take care of it.
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 10:48 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
we could not have defeated Hitler without Canada. In those days you guys were almost our equals. I wish I could say the same today, but alas, Canadians have decided to follow a very different path over the past 30 years or so.

Thank God some one eles realizes this.........

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 30 April 2003 10:50 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, we have evolved beyond the barabarism of war. Maybe one day you will join us. How is the nuke manufacturing going, by the way?
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 30 April 2003 10:51 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

(Sorry, Wingy: the eyeroll was meant for your predecessor, and the patronizing comment he quoted from some WWII Johnny-Come-Lately.)

[ 30 April 2003: Message edited by: skdadl ]

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 10:53 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The UN is too busy appointing Cuba to the human rights comm.
This takes some time for Lybia*head of human rights comm* to make sure everything Cuba does is up to there own standards.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 10:58 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
wingy...how was living under our umbrella of protection for 30 years....what did Canada do with all the money saved on armed forces?Did you spend it on you socialized health care?How is that working out?
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 11:01 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Better than it was and much better than the U.S of A's. Thank you very much.
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 11:01 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
boy, you lefty Canadians dont like the World War 2 comments.I wonder why?Cause there is no defence from it.Oh yes this is where you defend it by calling me a troll or something or other and roll you eyes.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 30 April 2003 11:03 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, let's see. We rescued your hostages from Iran, we landed your jets on 9/11, and we went with you to Afghanistan.

Now, what have you done for us in the last 30 years? Protected us from whom?

And wasn't it your country that violated our Artic sovereignty? Not even the USSR did that.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 11:04 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Better than it was and much better than the U.S of A's. Thank you very much.
I dont think wait for a specialist for 5 months is better thank you.Dont go there, dont compare,you will lose.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 11:08 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ain't got the money for treatment in the U.S of A.
and I am satisfied with our health system. Not perfect but getting better.

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 11:09 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Yes, we have evolved beyond the barabarism of war.

Pacifism is not the solution to war. In fact it simply encourages people like Saddam and Kim. I hope one day we will be rid of war as a species. If it happens it will be because we have "imposed" democracy aroubd the world. BTW, how can you impose democracy? It is by nature volunatary. Our mission, if we have one at all on the global stage is to stop people like Saddam Hussein from siezing control of entire nations.

So your noble sentiments are just that, Wingnut: sentiments. When it comes time to do the heavy lifting in the world we're (US/UK) the only game in town for now. Saddam and his despicable sons are gone. Uday will no longer be ranging across Baghdad in is string of black Mercedes limos looking for some poor 16 year girl to "date" taht evening.

If we had "evolved" in the manner you suggest, there would be nobody to stop such monsters (and sooner or leter the'd be on your doorstep, and ours).

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 30 April 2003 11:09 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Clersal is an adult... let her loose... I say compare away!
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 11:12 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Now, what have you done for us in the last 30 years? Protected us from whom?
Are you for real left wing? what have we done to protect you?where do you begin?Just the realm of the USA influance around the world has detered any agression agianst us and our allies.Oh by the way thank you counrty for letting the KGB agents walk in on your mid west borders over the years.Maybe thats where your hint of scoialisam came from.
Just remeber A world with out the USA would be filled with tearany.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 11:13 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If we had "evolved" in the manner you suggest, there would be nobody to stop such monsters.
Perhaps then there would be no monsters.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 11:16 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
For libertyman
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 11:16 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Ain't got the money for treatment in the U.S of A.
and I am satisfied with our health system. Not perfect but getting better.

Most jobs have health care and if you dont have it there is many safety nets if you dont.
sorry your misinformed about that.

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 11:17 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Cart before the horse. Perhaps in 250 years. For now we have to keep moving in the right direction: liberal democatic free societies everywhere, no exceptions.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 11:23 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Canada's Single Payer Health Care System - It's Worth a Look

For a anti-right wing you sure would like to put the money in the pockets of the big corporations.We are not going to fall into that Trap.Your wages are lower % wise.Where is the money going that your companies save?Not being payed your workers. now you paying the healh care form your own taxes from your pocket.Think about it.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 11:28 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And this
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 11:30 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Hitler
Gangus Khan
Roman Empire
Napoleon

Monster stopped forming in 1776 ? Was it like a switch for monsters?after 1776 we all live happy ever after?

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 11:38 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
These are the same pepole that put Toronto under a travel advisoy for no good reason
Canda above USA I know those figures are wrong.
Too many Canadians come to USA for treatment
and raking for what ?who is covered? Quality?
what is the precetage point differance at the top? too vauge sir.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 11:39 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
above for Clersal
Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 30 April 2003 11:39 AM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
wingy...how was living under our umbrella of protection for 30 years....what did Canada do with all the money saved on armed forces?Did you spend it on you socialized health care?How is that working out?

Protection from who exactly? Nevermind, you can’t wrap your brains (and I use that word loosely) around the facts in this regard. You do know what nation is the only nation to try and invade Canada?

quote:
we could not have defeated Hitler without Canada.

What a stupid, arrogant, uneducated thing to say. So the US defeated Hitler did they? All by themselves eh? Bullshit, you may have helped finish him off but how dare you, how dare you suggest that all the good men fighting and dying the years before you laggards showed up didn’t do the bulk of the work. You are both assholes.

quote:
I dont think wait for a specialist for 5 months is better thank you.Dont go there, dont compare,you will lose.

You’re a barley literate troll and you think you can out debate the average babbler? Fuck, that’s funny shit man. Learn to punctuate and spell. Maybe if you attempted to make well reasoned, thought out post and took a look at them before posting instead of foaming at the mouth all over the keyboard you would make more sense. And get over your need to tell us to “think about it”. Most of us have that under control.

quote:
Uday will no longer be ranging across Baghdad in is string of black Mercedes limos looking for some poor 16 year girl to "date" taht evening.

Oh, that doesn’t happen in the US? Didn’t a Kennedy go to jail for murdering a young girl? Not mention this kind of behavior isn’t new for American athletes? Rape isn’t American? Maybe you should be more concerned about the thousands of rapes in your country before you go bragging about how you stopped them in Iraq.

quote:
Maybe thats where your hint of scoialisam came from.

It’s more than a hint. Get over it. We like it and too bad for you if you don’t.

quote:
Just remeber A world with out the USA would be filled with tearany.

God, your grammar is appalling and your spelling, it obvious you meant to say:

Just remember a world with out the USA would be without tyranny.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 11:45 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
sorry Scout I didnt no dis was a spelling webs site.
well i didnt pay attion in selling cass.but i did in history class.you oviously dint. i rather get de fact stright on ww2 then the spelling.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 30 April 2003 11:46 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Over the past four years, I've had to consult three specialists, one of them a research trailblazer in his field. It took me a month to get in to see him, a week to see the second -- and three hours to see the third.

clersal is right; there are problems in our system, mainly due to the cutbacks of the last decade. But it is universal, and much much more efficient than the spendthrift American system.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 11:46 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
above for Clersal
I thought it to be a bit much for you understand. Our education system is perhaps more advanced. Oh well not your fault is it? You are a happy well informed person.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 11:47 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Are your history books that corrupt ? Could it just be your SPIN ZONE?
kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 11:47 AM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
What a stupid, arrogant, uneducated thing to say. So the US defeated Hitler did they? All by themselves eh? Bullshit, you may have helped finish him off but how dare you, how dare you suggest that all the good men fighting and dying the years before you laggards showed up didn’t do the bulk of the work. You are both assholes.

Whoa, chill out! Where did that come from. Read what I said: we (the Allies) could not have defeated Hitler without Canada. That is precisely the opposite of suggesting that the US single-
handedly won WWII.

I don't mind if you call me an asshole, but please try to get reasonably close to addressing what I actually wrote rather than what you desperately want to impute to me.

Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 30 April 2003 11:48 AM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
boy, you lefty Canadians dont like the World War 2 comments.I wonder why?

Because for the most part the comments are junk. You like to pretend that the Americans were great heroes who saved the world from the Nazis, even though Canadians put their lives on the line a couple of years before the Americans were dragged into the war, kicking and screaming. And then there's the whole "if it wasn't for the U.S., you'd be speaking German" comments. One could also say, "if it weren't for Stalin and other commies, we'd all be speaking German." The bottom line is that no individual country defeated Hitler, so you can stop patting yourself on the back.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 11:50 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
t’s more than a hint. Get over it. We like it and too bad for you if you don’t.

Oh you admit it!

Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 30 April 2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
what have we done to protect you?where do you begin?

How about with some some concrete examples.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 30 April 2003 11:56 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If we had "evolved" in the manner you suggest, there would be nobody to stop such monsters (and sooner or leter the'd be on your doorstep, and ours).

There would be no one to create monsters to fear in the first place. You keep mentioning Saddam but he was your creation like Suharto and the Duvlaiers and Somoza and the Shah and so many others. And interesting, it is your country, their own creators, they come to. Not our doorstep. Yours.

Libertyman, you saved us from nothing. Nothing. Not one threat. In fact, we have done much more for you. And maybe if you thought in terms of ideas as opposed to your brainwashed, irrational fears you would recognize our health care system is cheaper, more efficient and covers everyone.

We never turn away sick and suffering people. Your doctors turn them away everyday. We call our society compassionate. What do you call yours?

Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 30 April 2003 11:56 AM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Most jobs have health care and if you dont have it there is many safety nets if you dont.
sorry your misinformed about that.

Then why do so many Americans not have health coverage?

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 30 April 2003 11:56 AM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Admit it? It's not a secret. Our Health Care System for one, puts it right out there in the open.
libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 11:57 AM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
kiowa.........They have such a deep hate for THE USA
All the see is Red.
Kicking and screaming?..we were sending supplies and ships well before we entered the war.The reason why we didnt enter right away was the same views you are showing toward the US now.The Left in the USA didnt want to commit troops.Sound fimilar? Insert foot now.

Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 30 April 2003 11:57 AM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Our mission, if we have one at all on the global stage is to stop people like Saddam Hussein from siezing control of entire nations.

Whose mission? The American government helped Hussein sieze control, and has helped many other dictators sieze control.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 30 April 2003 12:02 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
kiowa.........They have such a deep hate for THE USA
All the see is Red.
Kicking and screaming?..we were sending supplies and ships well before we entered the war.The reason why we didnt enter right away was the same views you are showing toward the US now.The Left in the USA didnt want to commit troops.Sound fimilar? Insert foot now

So incredibly demented he doesn't even know what he is talking about. Kiowa, this guy is on your side.

libertyman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4028

posted 30 April 2003 12:03 PM      Profile for libertyman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Admit it? It's not a secret. Our Health Care System for one, puts it right out there in the open.

What eles can they get there hands into?
BIG GOVERNMENT
Dont forget :
Gambling
Spirts
Some media
tabacoo
with all these profits you should live in a eutopia<------scout can you check my spelling for me please?

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 12:03 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
How about with some some concrete examples.

How about considering that the Soviet Union, the Nazis, Imperial Japan would gladly have siezed Canada if they had managed to realize their ambitions.

How about also admitting that if we were even 1/10th as bad as those who call us "bastards" and "morons" that there would be M1's in downtown Toronto and Vancouver right now?

Frankly I have no interest whatsoever in interfering in Canada. Do as you like. I would also prefer it if we pulled all of our troops out of Germany, Japan, etc. We should only concern ourselves with situations like Iraq where the need to remove a monster--and a threat to our own security--was compellingly obvious. If we can help oppressed people who suffer under people like Saddam then fine.

The only nation that Canada needs defending against is the US, and since we're not about to invade you I guess you can just do away with your military altogether.

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 12:05 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Kiowa, this guy is on your side.

I kinda think we're all on the same "side" here when it comes down to it. Americans and Canadians share a committment to freedom, tolerance, democracy, etc., do we not?

Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 30 April 2003 12:05 PM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
For a anti-right wing you sure would like to put the money in the pockets of the big corporations.
now you paying the healh care form your own taxes from your pocket.

Wow, it's amazing how bass-ackwards you have it. The American private healthcare system costs more per capita because it's putting money into the pockets of big insurance companies and private medical companies that demand high profits.
Paying for health care through taxes is a lot cheaper than paying insurance companies or each time you need a service (for those who have no insurance).

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 30 April 2003 12:05 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The only nation that Canada needs defending against is the US, and since we're not about to invade you I guess you can just do away with your military altogether.

Psst. You guys: don't anybody mention water.

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 30 April 2003 12:06 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A Word Processing software could do that for you.
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 12:07 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't mind if you call me an asshole
Glad to hear it.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 30 April 2003 12:07 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
How about considering that the Soviet Union, the Nazis, Imperial Japan would gladly have siezed Canada if they had managed to realize their ambitions.

Try to stay on this planet. Again, Canada claims sovereignty over the Artic. The Soviets never once challenged our claim. The US did.

We were only at war against Japan and Germany, from day one I might add, because as allies with Britain it was our duty. But as Britain faced its finest hour, who was US corporations selling to?

quote:

Well, I don't really trust you because as you run out of clean water you will be eyeing ours the way you once eyed the cold in teh Black Hills. That was another nation you had a treaty with. But we can't stop you anyway so, yes, we can get rid of our armed forces. We only need a nuke.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 30 April 2003 12:09 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Drat. Wingy's gone and done it. Now kiowa's gonna be gettin' ideas ...
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 30 April 2003 12:12 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Now kiowa's gonna be gettin' ideas ...
Nah too big a concept for him.

Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 30 April 2003 12:14 PM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I said concrete examples, not more empty rhetoric.
quote:

How about also admitting that if we were even 1/10th as bad as those who call us "bastards" and "morons" that there would be M1's in downtown Toronto and Vancouver right now?

Yes, we're very thankful that your government haven't done to Canada what it's done to Iraq, Chile and so many other countries. I really appreciate the fact that you haven't murdered us.
quote:

We should only concern ourselves with situations like Iraq where the need to remove a monster--and a threat to our own security--was compellingly obvious.

If the threat to the U.S.A. from Iraq was so "compellingly obvious," where's the evidence?

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 12:28 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Well, I don't really trust you because as you run out of clean water you will be eyeing ours

Considering that our nations enjoy an extremely friendly relationship, I do not think we are going to be stealing your water any time soon. We might eventually buy some of it from you, but that's rather a different matter.

In any case Canada is actually doing worse on the enviornmental front than is the US. Vancouver still dumps raw sewage into the Pacific. We stopped doing that kind of thing more than 20 years ago (no US city dumps raw sewage on either coast, nor in Alaska or Hawaii).

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 30 April 2003 01:59 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
we were sending supplies and ships well before we entered the war.

...to both sides. At a profit. To the Bush family.

quote:
Our mission, if we have one at all on the global stage is to stop people like Saddam Hussein from siezing control of entire nations.

Wrong kind of people, I guess. Helping former oil execs seize control of entire nations is the mission these days.

DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 30 April 2003 02:01 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
...to both sides. At a profit. To the Bush family.

Thanks for the laugh ronb.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 30 April 2003 02:03 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
See, I told you this was going to happen:

quote:
We might eventually buy some of it from you, but that's rather a different matter.

See? They're going to "buy" "SOME" of it from us??? Heavy wink-wink, no???

And if we don't want to sell ... ?

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 30 April 2003 02:05 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
DS missed the thread. Wonderful documentation. Do a search, DS.
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 30 April 2003 02:06 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sweetness and light, that's me.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 30 April 2003 02:09 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
In any case Canada is actually doing worse on the enviornmental front than is the US. Vancouver still dumps raw sewage into the Pacific. We stopped doing that kind of thing more than 20 years ago (no US city dumps raw sewage on either coast, nor in Alaska or Hawaii).

That is true but it doesn't change the fact that you are depleting your ground water resources, that is drinking water, far faster than nature can possibly replenish them.

And do consider skdadl's question. What if we won't sell our water? From our perspective, it wouldn't be a wise idea. NAFTA, that sell out of an agreement by our own neo-cons, sets out that if we were to sell you our water, in the event that we didn't have enough water for ourselves, we would still have to maintain exports to you.

Stupid agreement, huh? But that's what you get when you allow neo-cons to con a nation.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 30 April 2003 02:11 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Vancouver still dumps raw sewage into the Pacific.

Vancouver doesn't. Victoria does. Still inexcusable; but a much smaller city, hence a much smaller problem.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 30 April 2003 02:15 PM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
DS missed the thread. Wonderful documentation. Do a search, DS.

What search words should I use ? fabrications ? make-believe ? wishful thinking ?

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 02:16 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
What if we won't sell our water?

I am no expert in these matters, I'll admit that. But to my knowledge Canada is in no danger of running short of water. I can't imagine Canadians withholding water from us assuming you have plenty to go around yourselves.

If we do face a serious shortage in the next 25 years or so I would expect Canadians would benefit greatly because of it. We would have to negotiate an agreement over how to purchase water from you, and I should hope it would be on mutually beneficial grounds.

Re Victoria: you're right 'lance. My mistake.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 30 April 2003 02:21 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I can't imagine Canadians withholding water from us assuming you have plenty to go around yourselves

That Canada has plenty of clean water is a myth. The myth is based upon the volume of the great lakes. But what is important is how quickly used water is replenished. In other words if you use a liter but only 500 mils are returned through rainfall, you are behind.

I, as one Canadian, would be happy to share what we have with our American neighbours but not under the terms of NAFTA, not under any deal that in any way resembles the insanity of NAWAPA, and not in a way that will be ultimately harmful to the environment.

Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 30 April 2003 02:49 PM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I can't imagine Canadians withholding water from us assuming you have plenty to go around yourselves

The U.S.A also used to have plenty to go around; why should we let them deplete our water supply as well? And who's going to profit from selling our water? Chances are, the government will sell the rights to an American-owned company at bargain basement prices.

What makes The U.S. so special that they can waste their own resources and then go on to waste the resources of other countries? If every nation polluted and used up resources to the same extent as the Americans, most of us would be dead by now.

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 03:13 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The U.S.A also used to have plenty to go around; why should we let them deplete our water supply as well?

Check your facts, Andy. The worst environmental criminals by FAR were the Soviets. Followed by the Chinese and to a lesser extent, India and assorted other Third-world nations who simply lack the money to install scrubbers, avoid dumping chemicals into the water, etc. Cosnsidering the sheer scale of our economy, it is incredible how little environmental damage we do these days. Our water and air quality have been getting better over the decades, not worse.

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 30 April 2003 03:18 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
it is incredible how little environmental damage we do these days.

At home in the US perhaps.

Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 30 April 2003 03:22 PM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Check your facts, Andy. The worst environmental criminals by FAR were the Soviets. Followed by the Chinese and to a lesser extent, India and assorted other Third-world nations who simply lack the money to install scrubbers, avoid dumping chemicals into the water, etc. Cosnsidering the sheer scale of our economy, it is incredible how little environmental damage we do these days. Our water and air quality have been getting better over the decades, not worse.

First, I never claimed that the US is/was the worst polluter in the world, just that they waste a lot of resources and create a lot of pollution. So your first point is moot.

Second, if you look at the companies that are polluting in third world countries, you'll probably find that many are owned by Americans. If water and air quality is improving in the U.S. (which may or may not be true), it's partly because American corporations exported their polluting operations to other countries while still reaping the economic benefits.

And don't forget, some of your pollution blows/flows up into Canada, which means our environment and health suffers for your economic growth.

kiowa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3597

posted 30 April 2003 03:34 PM      Profile for kiowa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
And don't forget, some of your pollution blows/flows up into Canada

A lot of your pollution ends up here. Including mountains of garbage from Toronto which get dumped in Michigan.

US companies are required to abide by our laws concerning pollution, even when they do business in other nations. French companies do not, nor do those of most other allegedly virtuous European nations.

There have been some disasters realted to US firms, Bhopal being the most obvious. But compared with the ability of the USSR to destroy entire inland seas, or for Saddam to drain millions of acres of marshland just to kill the culture of the Marsh Arabs, we're pretty innocent.

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 30 April 2003 03:38 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
over 200 messages! 3 pages! Oh. My. God.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca