babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » The Linguistic Bombardment - Arabnews.com

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The Linguistic Bombardment - Arabnews.com
Tommy M
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2183

posted 28 March 2003 12:17 PM      Profile for Tommy M     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Shock and Awe. As verbs and/or nouns, the two words do not indicate death in any sense or form. You cannot shock a corpse. If the killing is intended to shock and awe the remaining living, the term to use is terrorism. Yet, it seems the megabombs being dropped on Baghdad are not terrorizing anyone, though they manage to kill. The populace is still there.

quote:

The Americans have managed to personalize everything to do with themselves. If you fight me, you are simply a fanatic. Never mind that I’m invading your country, bombing your cities to oblivion, and doing it with such vulgar bravado.

A new use of the term terrorism is entering another American phase. Any act of resistance to their presence as invading troops is now termed terrorism.

The Linguistic Bombardment

writer
editor emeritus
Babbler # 2513

posted 28 March 2003 02:38 PM      Profile for writer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was watching CNN when the first reports of an attack on a military base in Kuwait came in. Aaron Brown, the newscaster at the time, reported a "terrorist attack."

Later, Aaron Brown was the host again when the report came in that it was an American soldier who had lobbed grenades into the troop tents. The colour drained from his face. His jaw dropped. He asked for the information to be repeated a couple of times.

[ 28 March 2003: Message edited by: writer ]

Vee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3477

posted 28 March 2003 05:32 PM      Profile for Vee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I find it very painful to watch Aaron Brown. He loves to hear his own voice and tends to talk more than those he is supposedly interviewing. Not that I would expect anything else from CNN. The news coverage of the invasion is too much. The news channels are devoting much time to little news and ignoring anything else that may be going on in the world.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca