babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Iraq denies US marines wounded in friendly fire

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Iraq denies US marines wounded in friendly fire
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 28 March 2003 05:48 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Military spokesman denies losing 1,000 men in Najaf battle, says Iraqi forces attacked marines near Nasiriyah.

sheep
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2119

posted 28 March 2003 10:41 AM      Profile for sheep     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From the linked article:

quote:
Al-Rawi denied reports from US commanders that it had lost around 1,000 men in fighting in and around the Shiite pilgrimage centre of Najaf.

"It's totally baseless," Iraqi armed forces spokesman said.

"If it was true, why don't the enemies show pictures of the dead on their televisions?" he asked.

Anyone care to hazard a guess?

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 28 March 2003 11:23 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um, because they are highly honourable and would never do such a thing?

Do I win a prize or something?

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 28 March 2003 11:47 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is Tony Blair *GASP!* A liar?
quote:
OUR LUKE WAS NOT EXECUTED

Mar 28 2003

By Stephen Moyes and James Hardy

THE heartbroken sister of ambushed soldier Luke Allsopp insisted last night: "My brother was not executed."

Nina Allsopp hit out at "lies" surrounding his death.

Grieving Nina - 29 today - said: "We have been told by the Army that Luke died in action.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12783733&method=full&siteid=50143

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 28 March 2003 07:37 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sheep, I thought that was interesting too. It may actually have to do with an understanding of politics and diplomacy that is somewhat removed from our own. I noticed that after the big hub bub about interviewing prisoners on TV, as being contrary to the Geneva convention. The next lot, two US pilots, were not interviewed only shown drinking tea, while their ID was shown to prove who they were. Saddam's regieme is very sensitive to its public image these days, and may have changed policy.

The first incident may have occurred simply because it neve occurred to them that anyone would protest. To them they may have simply been providing evidence to verify their claim that they had captured US soldiers by interviewing them.

Likwise, it would seem odd to them that we would not show Iraqi casualties on TV as evidence that we are winning the war, to bulk up public support and likewise degrade the moral of the defenders.

These kinds of schizm between Arab outlook and western outlook are quite common, I posted this from Said a while back,here.:

quote:
I recall many times during the 20 years that I knew Yasser Arafat well, trying to explain to him that this was a complex society with all sorts of currents, interests, pressures, and histories in conflict within it and that far from being ruled the way Syria was, for instance, a different model of power and authority ought to be studied. I enlisted my late friend, the scholar and political activist, Eqbal Ahmed, who had an expert knowledge of American society but was also perhaps the finest theorist and historian of anti-colonial national liberation movements in the world, to talk to Arafat and bring along other experts so that a sharper, more nuanced model might develop for use by the Palestinians during their preliminary contacts with the US government in the late 1980s -- but all to no avail. Ahmed had carefully studied the Algerian FLN's relationship with France during the war of 1954-62 as well as the North Vietnamese while they were negotiating with Kissinger during the 1970s.

The contrast between a scrupulous, detailed knowledge of the metropolitan society with which these insurgents had been in conflict and the Palestinians' almost caricatural knowledge of America (based mainly on hearsay and cursory readings in Time magazine) was stark. Arafat's single-minded obsession was to make his way personally into the White House and talk to that whitest of white men Bill Clinton: in his view that would be the equivalent perhaps of getting things done with Mubarak of Egypt or Hafez Al-Assad of Syria. If in the meantime Clinton revealed himself to be the master- creature of American politics, completely overwhelming and confusing the Palestinians with his charm and his manipulation of the system, so much the worse for Arafat and his men. Their simplified view of America was monumentally unchanged, as it still is today. As for resistance or knowing how to play the game of politics in a world with only one, all- conquering super-power in it, matters remain as they have for over half a century. Most people throw up their hands in despair like disappointed lovers: America is hopeless, and I don't ever want to go back there, they often say, though one also notices that green, permanent residence cards are much in demand, as are university admissions for the children.

Also, whatever is being said, this fellow in Baghdad, may ahave absolutely no idea what is going on in the front line and may not believe the claims himself, as command and control and intelligence has certainly been disurpted by the allied assualt. It is also very posible that he lying completely, or even egging the US on in order to get the US and Britain to reveal in graphic detail the slaughter they are engaging in.

On the other hand the US and Britain could be lying and begining to engage in the notorious 'body count' statisizing of war that wa a hall mark of the Vietnam war.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca