babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Perle Resigning Advisory Post?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Perle Resigning Advisory Post?
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 March 2003 07:07 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From The Agonist

quote:
5:53 EST MSNBC has just reported that Richard Perle has resigned his advisory post.

Granted The Agonist isn't a major media outlet, but he's been pretty much on the money so far.

This is a development that catches me off-guard. But I like it, pending further details.

Edited for spelling.

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: Slim ]

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 27 March 2003 07:11 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ace fucking bubba. Goodbye Perle you evil freak. Take the rest of your mutant chickenhawk monster pals with you, you prick.

Hersh you beautiful human you! OUTSTANDING!

Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 27 March 2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it might have something to do with this.

Pigs at the trough, Perle style

quote:
Perle's latest deal finds him on the payroll of Global Crossing. The bankrupt telecommunications company is struggling to win government approval for its proposed sale to Asian investors. The Defense Department and the FBI are both opposed to the $250 million deal since it would place Global's fiber-optic network -- which is used by the U.S. government -- under the control of Hutchison Whampoa, a Hong Kong firm with close ties to those freedom-loving folks in Beijing.

Enter Richard Perle. Global is hoping he can convince his good buddies in the Defense Department to put their national security concerns aside and let the dicey deal go through. And Perle is clearly confident that he can deliver: In a highly unusual arrangement for a Washington gun-for-hire, he's agreed to make $600,000 of his $725,000 fee contingent on his bringing home the bacon.

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: JimmyBrogan ]

From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 27 March 2003 07:13 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If only he would have the decency to fall on something pointy on the way out the door. Oh, wait: it was generals who would fall on their swords to preserve their honour. Perle never served and has no honour.
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 March 2003 07:21 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just saw it confirmed as a "Breaking News" item at ABC's web site. It looks like it's for real.

Edited to add that it's for real but it doesn't go far enough. He's resigned as chairman of the Defense Policy Board but at Rumsfeld's request he remains on the board.

Story here

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: Slim ]

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 27 March 2003 08:09 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BFD, in my book. He'll still be advising from whatever perch his is located.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 March 2003 08:18 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to take some small comfort from the fact that Perle is vulnerable.

quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Richard Perle, a U.S. architect of the war on Iraq who faced questions about conflicts of interest, offered to resign as chairman of a Pentagon advisory panel, according to a letter obtained by Reuters on Thursday.

"As I cannot quickly or easily quell criticism of me based on errors of fact concerning my activities, the least I can do under these circumstances is to ask you to accept my resignation as chairman of the Defense Policy Board," Perle wrote to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on Wednesday.

Story here

Now maybe people will dig even more.

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 27 March 2003 08:29 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After he threatened to sue Seymour Hersh for his New Yorker article (and in British courts no less) the NY Times ran a column basically making the same attack on him. Good that it makes him and Bush look bad but it's not like he doesn't still have the ear of Rumsfeld, Wolfovitz, Cheney and Bush so I doubt it'll make any difference as far as foreign policy goes.
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 27 March 2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i find it v.interesting why perle considered it a resigning issue (did he jump or was he pushed?). why would global crossing and a fibreoptic network be a reason to resign from the defence policy board?

one hint is from a harper's article in june 2002 ... hard for the US to try to remain pre-eminent militarily forever if they are becoming economically dependent on china.

Unmade in America

quote:
Back in the early 1990s ... one of the main arguments in favor of expanding trade with China was that the flow of American money and expertise into that country would make us more secure. Not only would China come to depend on U.S. funds and technology but its citizens would perhaps be inspired to clamor again for political reform. So, anyway, said the first Bush Administration. So, too, said Bill Clinton.

Somehow, the inverse possibility-that economic interlinkage might make the United States dependent on China-was never considered, nor have - we revisited this subject in depth in the ten years since. Even as U.S. corporations invested billions of dollars directly into China and Taiwan, and indirectly through outsourced production agreements, none of our elected officials or civil servants ever really examined in detail the risks of joining hands with one of the least stable and least transparent states on earth, China, and with that state's number-one potential target, Taiwan. A decade ago, no large U.S. company was dependent on China or Taiwan as either a market or a place for production. Today, hundreds are. When he took office early last year, George W. Bush inherited from his predecessor and from his own father perhaps the greatest failure in the history of American geopolitical thought.

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve_Shutt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2922

posted 28 March 2003 12:14 AM      Profile for Steve_Shutt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds to me like the Rummies are on the defensive in the Pentagon.

There are always multiple wars going on at the same time but that Perle is essentially accused of treason is a big win for the Pentagon doves (NOT an oximoron, those who are most opposed to war are usually those who best understand it). That retired generals (don't ever believe that they fade away) are being so openly critical of Rumsfeld's strategy after only seven days into the conflict is very, very telling.

Is this evidence that things are not going well in the war or are the anti-Rummie camp making a desperate push to preserve some sanity in the Pentagon before the next Axis of Evil contestant is revealed to be the greatest threat we have ever faced?

From: coming in off the left wing | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca