FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » People Fleeing Mexico

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: People Fleeing Mexico
bellows
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 747

posted 27 March 2003 06:51 PM      Profile for bellows     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I Watched a program last night of hundreds of people each night trying to get into the USA. Some are caught and sent back, others make it. What I fail to understand is if the USA is such a bad place to live, why do those people try to get there.
Wankity
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3723

posted 27 March 2003 06:53 PM      Profile for Wankity        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
... and then they continue to live in the U.S. for generations and generations.

Must be thouroughly brainwashed by all that right-wing propoghanda.

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: Wankity ]

Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 27 March 2003 06:59 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*Sigh*
Wow, that line never gets old. Oh wait. Yes, yes it does.
In Mexico's case, how about an economy that has been plundered by strict IMF-enforced economic policies, plus a long history of repressive governments, a thriving drug trade (carefully nurtured by the CIA), low wages, pollution and other environmental degredation (much of which is caused by American companies who've relocated to Mexico under NAFTA to duck the more stringent environmental stardards at home). Factor in the octopus like reach of the American media constantly trumpeting the American dream, you have a recipe for lots of people who are wiling to crawl under barbed wire for what they hope to be a better life. Unfortunately, a better life usually means making a couple of bucks an hour picking fruit or scrubbing toilets.

But here's a question for you: if the U.S.A is so gosh-darned great, why aren't YOU living there?

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 27 March 2003 07:03 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, what you boys fail to understand is that the lion's share of the world's resources end up in the USA, so if you are a 3d world inhabitant with dreams of enjoying your own country's wealth, you have to sneak into the USA and work as a washroom attendant to do it. Do you think Ancient Rome was a bad place to live? How about Judea?

The US is the land of plenty. Built with the blood sweat and tears of plenty of dark-skinned peoples who aren't US citizens.

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 27 March 2003 07:05 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i think i'm gonna start a consiousness raising rap group called the propaghandis. thanks anti-canada guy.
Wankity
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3723

posted 27 March 2003 07:09 PM      Profile for Wankity        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes I had a change of heart.

The First world's unemployed and the Third World's downtrodden are all clamouring for greencards and staying in the U.S due to well-managed 'trumpeting' by the U.S. media.

I won't even indulge or acknowlegde the standard 'American is the root of all evil' portion of your rant ... oops just did

Canada is way too right-wing for you black_dog. Why don't you live in Cuba or Sweden?

quote:
if you are a 3d world inhabitant with dreams of enjoying your own country's wealth, you have to sneak into the USA and work as a washroom attendant to do it.

Borderline racist, no? 3rd worlders only amount to bathroom attendants?
Every second Dr. or lawyer I run into down south is a 1st or 2nd generation immigrant.

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: Wankity ]

Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 27 March 2003 07:19 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, wanker, Canada is indeed a little too right wing for my liking. But I'd like to stay and help improve that situation. You still haven't answered my question about why your not heeding your master's voice and heading down south yourself.
quote:
Borderline racist, no? 3rd worlders only amount to bathroom attendants?
Every second Dr. or lawyer I run into down south is a 1st or 2nd generation immigrant.

Noooo. Ask them what their parents/grandparents did for a living and how hard they had to work to get their children where they are today. s'funny, right-wingers like you usually rail against them immigants for taking all the jobs. Of course the second you need to prove a point about how great you're wonderful U.S.A is, immigrants are suddenly shining beacons of the purity of the American Dream.
OH, and ronb, there already is/was a Winnipeg punk band called Propaghandi. Very political.

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: black_dog ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 27 March 2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
if the U.S.A is so gosh-darned great, why aren't YOU living there?

Well, bellows WOULD live there, but nobody would know who he's talking about when he goes off on rants about how the Inuit get all the breaks while he is so discriminated against. What would he have left to whine about?

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 27 March 2003 07:46 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
i think i'm gonna start a consiousness raising rap group called the propaghandis. thanks anti-canada guy.

Great idea ronb, but unfortunately the punk group Propagandhi beat you to it.

Don't see what the big deal is about Mexicans crossing the Rio Grande northward. They're only going home, after all. Pres. Polk's land grab ca. 1848 had, if possible, less legitimacy than the current war on Iraq.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 27 March 2003 07:47 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Everyone wants to go to the land of the free?

Just a bunch of terrorists anyway, eh Wanker?

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
bellows
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 747

posted 27 March 2003 07:48 PM      Profile for bellows     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For your information I have lived in the USA. Went to school there and worked there. Have two sons who are Americans. Returned to Canada because my wife wanted to be near her family. Now at 68 all we can do is spend the cold Canadian winters in Florida and drink cheap beer. Have fun.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 27 March 2003 07:50 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So do you have a point, bellows, or just a DSL connection and some time on your hands?
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
bellows
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 747

posted 27 March 2003 07:58 PM      Profile for bellows     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I only answered a question.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca