babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Assad of Syria Speaks?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Assad of Syria Speaks?
TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 27 March 2003 04:02 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I added a question mark because I couldn't find another news source other than Ha'aretz with this story. Not that I don't trust Ha'aretz anymore than I don't trust anyone else right now.

.....I should really just stop surfing the news sites, and go back to reading "Simpsons" scripts.

Assad not into sitting and waiting to be next.

If Syria does feel this way-- and really, why wouldn't they? What must be going on in the minds of the Iranian leadership?

Why do I keep expecting to see Peter Sellers in several roles in all this?

wei-chi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2799

posted 27 March 2003 11:45 AM      Profile for wei-chi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think this is just Assad the younger trying to defuse political tension in his own country. There have been demonstrations etc in Damascus, and in order to boost his popularity, and reduce risks to his leadership, he just has to make some (rather soft) statements that appear anti american and pro palestinian.

This is the same old.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 27 March 2003 11:47 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
More here:

http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1192574.html

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 March 2003 11:52 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Still -- it would be very interesting to know what's going on in Syria. They have to be worried.

It would, of course, be even better to know what has happened to our kidnapped Canadian (kidnapped in the first place by U.S. immigration officers), illegally returned by the U.S. (via Jordan) to his Syrian birthplace.

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 27 March 2003 01:20 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think this is just Assad the younger trying to defuse political tension in his own country. There have been demonstrations etc in Damascus, and in order to boost his popularity, and reduce risks to his leadership, he just has to make some (rather soft) statements that appear anti american and pro palestinian.
Part of playing the game of oppression.

From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 27 March 2003 08:45 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Syria lets volunteers into Iraq:

http://tinyurl.com/8b68

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 28 March 2003 03:03 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rummy warns Syria:

http://tinyurl.com/8d01

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 28 March 2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Asked if the United States was threatening military action against Syria, Rumsfeld said: "I'm saying exactly what I'm saying. It was carefully phrased."

...by my speech writer."

Haha!

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 28 March 2003 03:22 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Assad talking about a little preemption of his own:

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/277670.html

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 28 March 2003 03:33 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Arabs, seething with anger over the U.S.-led attack on Iraq, have protested almost daily since the war began last Thursday.

Seething. Way to win hearts and minds there George.

Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 28 March 2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope they're not going to start into Syria next - then this will really end up looking like a modern-day version of the Crusades. Oh joy.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 28 March 2003 04:54 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rumsfeld warns Syria about sending arms into Iraq.

Finally I agree with Rumsfeld! It is wrong to send military equipment into Iraq. Maybe the U.S. will lead by example and immediately withdraw all of its military equipment from Iraq.

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 28 March 2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
then this will really end up looking like a modern-day version of the Crusades
How do you know it's not? Saddam aside, it already looks like that.

Does it bother anyone as it does me, when you see American soldiers planting their flags as they progress in Iraq?

Not a heart-warming scene.

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 28 March 2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

This one is funny. It's the flag of Texas.

[ 28 March 2003: Message edited by: Blind_Patriot ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca