babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » "It was an outrage, an obscenity"

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: "It was an outrage, an obscenity"
drgoodword
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3214

posted 27 March 2003 12:55 AM      Profile for drgoodword   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
How should one record so terrible an event? Perhaps a medical report would be more appropriate. But the final death toll is expected to be near to 30 and Iraqis are now witnessing these awful things each day; so there is no reason why the truth, all the truth, of what they see should not be told.

For another question occurred to me as I walked through this place of massacre yesterday. If this is what we are seeing in Baghdad, what is happening in Basra and Nasiriyah and Kerbala? How many civilians are dying there too, anonymously, indeed unrecorded, because there are no reporters to be witness to their suffering?

Robert Fisk writes in The Independent.

drg

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 27 March 2003 01:03 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They are being flattened.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 27 March 2003 02:53 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been feeling incredibly distracted and unable to effectively focus since this war started. It's not just the war itself; it's the huge momentum that's been building up for it since I can't remember when, and the continuing feeling of being endlessly propagandized by the United States.

I watched Fox News once and witnessing the immense barrage of repeated news clippings and segments designed to convince you that they were right, I had the faintest idea of what it must have felt like in the Soviet Union, to know that you were being inundated with all sorts of propaganda and that you could feel the government breathing down your neck.

This war is affecting us all, and I'm not afraid to admit that it's affecting me. I mean hell, I can't even look at the pictures some people post here because I'm naturally a person who dislikes the thought of blood from ONE person. Imagining that scaled up a thousandfold depresses me.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kindred
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3285

posted 27 March 2003 03:18 AM      Profile for Kindred     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
This war is affecting us all, and I'm not afraid to admit that it's affecting me.
I agree with what you are saying and feeling, I find myself feeling so depressed that the world seems to be sinking into a collective insanity, I find myself with fears about the future - especially for my children. I find myself wondering what will happen if the US gains control of the world oil -- I feel, for the first time in my life, threatened. Because I know there is no reasoning with insane people.

To underline this I saw on TV tonight an american aid worker, from the Seattle area yelling at the Iraqis "you should be GRATEFUL to the US for liberating you -" To people who have no water, no food, no shelter -- stupid bastard - and this is the thought process that is making it hard for me to sleep at night. Who will they "liberate" next?
Needless to say the Iraqi people werent taking his ignorance very well --

From: British Columbia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 27 March 2003 05:03 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's affecting me as well, but I am also relieved. I was tired of waiting. It was interseting on the night that the attack began the US press made a point of writing about how Bush slept vey soundly.

It reminded me of an old police saying about criminals. A suspect who paces their cell and looks agitated and can not sleep is very likely innocent, their trials have just begun. The guilty on the other hand have been worrying, sick to death in anticipation of getting caught, and actually getting caught is a relief -- when captured they fall asleep immediatly because they can finally stop stressing out.

My Iraqi friends are all really tense, but it seems that even those who supported the war are turning on it, now that the outcome is less clear.

One said to me (a supporter): "What are they doing, they dropped thousands of leaflets and they should know to surrender."

I said: "That a little resistance is good, at least that way the US will show respect."

He agreed.

"Yes," he said, "Otherwise they (the US) will just take everything."

This told me that a lot of Iraqi support was predicated on a quick war, and the US proving that it could do what it said it could do. I think that the Turks and the Kurds and will only commit fully when the US scores a big success.

Everyone wants to be sure before they commit.

Tommy M
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2183

posted 27 March 2003 11:24 AM      Profile for Tommy M     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

This war is affecting us all, and I'm not afraid to admit that it's affecting me. I mean hell, I can't even look at the pictures some people post here because I'm naturally a person who dislikes the thought of blood from ONE person. Imagining that scaled up a thousandfold depresses me

I'll chime in in agreement, I refused to watch TV coverage of the war last night, then dreamt about the war. Images of shot soldiers it was quite disturbing.

mighty brutus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3148

posted 27 March 2003 11:36 AM      Profile for mighty brutus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not watching much of the war coverage for two reasons. 1>the BS perpetrated on us by the American networks .
2>self-preservation--during Gulf War I, I watched war coverage on CNN before going to work, first thing when I got home from work, and any time in between. I found myself in a depressed trance-like state (which some wags would say I've remained in since).

From: Beautiful Burnaby, British Columbia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kindred
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3285

posted 27 March 2003 03:48 PM      Profile for Kindred     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
a depressed trance-like state
would describe how I have been feeling, its shock I think at seeing destruction on such a grand scale, sometime I almost envy those who appear to be unaffected, or even those who are excited and cheerful that the US is teaching the middle east a lesson - but then I think, no, I get more out of life by being a compassionate informed person. But do I? When I go out for a walk I look at the sky and I can see bombs dropping on Iraq, not just the clear blue expanse or fluffy clouds above me. I see everything in contrasts these days.

From: British Columbia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 27 March 2003 04:52 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am SERIOUSLY STRESSED OUT!!! I can't relax. I spend all my free time (which, thankfully, isn't much) scouring the net for up-to-date news or staring at the map of Iraq on my wall and trying to gain a clear mental image of what's happening there. I've been sick for the past two days and I attribute it to the stress I'm feeling having lowered my immune system.

I don't know why this is. Atrocities happen all the time around the world and, for the most part, I am successfully able to ignore them, for my own sanity. Maybe it's because this has such far-reaching implications for the geo-political order of the world and the conservative agenda. Maybe. But I think it has more to do with the nagging feeling (irrational though it is) that I am responsible for this by association. It's MY culture, MY civilisation that has gone over there with its big armies to make life hell for the people of Iraq. For those who survive, that is.

I need to calm down in a big way, but my brain won't stop. Everytime I have nothing to think about, I automatically start running over all the things I know about the situation there and weighing various outcomes. Man, I need this to be over.

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca