babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Saddam executes 60 Iraqi officers

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Saddam executes 60 Iraqi officers
Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 27 March 2003 12:14 AM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
SADDAM Hussein has executed 60 army officers and replaced them with some of his most fanatical supporters to dissuade soldiers from deserting in the face of allied attack, according to an exiled Iraqi general.

Mohammed Nafee, who was a commander in Saddam’s forces in the Iran-Iraq war, claims the purge of the army higher ranks took place at the weekend. He has contacted Iraqi military sources in Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq, who passed on news of the mass executions.

Scotsman UK Article

Here's more evidence supporting Moredread's thesis that Saddam is loved by his supportive and dedicated troops. Not.

sheep
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2119

posted 27 March 2003 12:17 AM      Profile for sheep     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stands to reason that if he's killing off the ones who don't love him, then the ones left alive must!
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 27 March 2003 12:33 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Here's more evidence supporting Moredread's thesis that Saddam is loved by his supportive and dedicated troops. Not.

Quote me will you, I'd love to see it.

If its in the New Scotman is must be true. The New Scotsman, much to my surprise, is still faithfully reporting that the US troops, as seen in still photograph on CNN were shot execution style by Iraqis, even though the Pentagon later confirmed that they were battlefied casualties.

That said, wouldn't doubt that there has been a purge, but at this time I will wait until there is more evidence.

Please don't put words in my mouth, again.

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 27 March 2003 12:39 AM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have no doubt that Saddam Hussein is capable of doing something like this (after all, Stalin killed off most of his general staff prior to WWII). However, given all the deliberate disinformation coming out of the Pentagon, whether it be rumours of Saddam Hussein's death, claims that cities have been captured when they haven't been and the lie about executing US soldiers, generals who are supposed to have surrendered turning up leading Iraqi troops in Basra I woudn't be too ready too accept this latest story without indepenedent verification.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 12:46 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did any one happen to see the Iraq documentary aired on CBC tonight? I thought of you, Can-Am, watching it because I am certain Americans would never get this story. Ir was quite enlightening.

Did you know, in the 80's, Iraq under Saddam Hussein, was the biggest recipient of US largesse once credits, loans and aid were all added up?

There was a senate aid who went to Kurdistan, with a camera, after the gassing of Kurds. It was more than just gassing. It was whole scale ethnic cleansing. And more than just 5,000 died in one town. 30,000 were killed. The senate aid went home and drafted a bill called the "Prevention of Genocide Act." It passed the senate.

And here is where it gets interesting. Everyone knew what was going on. Everyone knew Saddam had gassed Kurds. Everyone knew he was ethnically cleansing the oil fields of the north.

America's corporations lobbied against the bill. They said Saddam was a moderate and secular and could be managed. They said US business stood to lose billions and it could hurt business in other areas. Plus Saddam was still an ally.

Reagan vetoed the "Prevention of Genocide Act." Genocide was okay. And, the following year, aid, credits, loans and trade all went up.

Everyone was happy.

It was particularly interesting to hear the Kurdish minister state how the US was never to be trusted and how Kurds were never to be used as pawns again.

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 27 March 2003 05:55 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can-Am here is what you do not see:

quote:
"There is a difference between a war of liberation and a war of conquest. Liberation means Iraqis are at the forefront. Conquest means the invaders are in charge," said Hoshyar Zubari, an official of the Kurdistan Democratic Party, one of five groups recognized by the Bush Administration as allied opposition forces and one of two Kurdish organizations that have administered a 17,000-square-mile region of northern Iraq that has been protected by U.S. and British air patrols since the end of the 1991 Persian Gulf War.

This from an official of the largest and most willing Iraqi force that is opposed to Saddam. The very people whom were gassed by Saddam, the incident most oftne used by and others like you who support this war.

TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 27 March 2003 06:00 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Please don't put words in my mouth, again.

I fear the right would have little to say if you stopped them from inventing our positions for us.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca