babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Patrick Moynihan R.I.P.

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Patrick Moynihan R.I.P.
CyberNomad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2926

posted 26 March 2003 08:17 PM      Profile for CyberNomad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ex-U.S. Senator Moynihan dies at 76.

May he rest in peace.
(TorStar report)

From: St. Catharines ON | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 26 March 2003 11:00 PM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Along with the 200,000 East Timorese he helped to dispatch from this mortal coil:

quote:
"The United States wished things to turn out as they did, and worked to bring this about. The Department of State desired that the United Nations prove utterly ineffective in whatever measures it undertook. This task was given to me, and I carried it forward with no inconsiderable success."

- Moynihan, in his memoirs, on his successful efforts as UN Ambassador to prevent any international action against Indonesia's invasion of (and subsequent genocide in) East Timor.

Let's not beatify the guy.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 27 March 2003 01:47 AM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lord no! I don't feel any worse about this than I will when Saddam gets it.
From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 27 March 2003 02:14 AM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CNN Obit
quote:
In 1965, Moynihan wrote "The Negro Family: The Case for National Action," in which he emphasized the connection between fatherless families and increased welfare rolls. Though either ignored or criticized when first published, the study led to the 1988 Welfare Reform Act, which recognized for the first time a father's duty to support his children and encouraged workfare initiatives.

Moynihan, Nixon and Ford's mouthpiece at the UN and the father of "workfare". That he was the doyen of American liberalism says a lot.

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 27 March 2003 02:17 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I have time tomorrow, I will dig up the stories that show what a totally perfidious, self-important sleazebag DP Moynihan was.
From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 27 March 2003 03:04 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Daniel Patrick Moynihan was also the author of a clarion call taken up by political conservatives eager for a cudgel to beat the left with, which is the (in)famous phrase "Defining Deviancy Down".

Allegedly the phrase refers to the increasing permissiveness in today's society and the (supposed) connection between this and faltering economic growth since 1973, with a minor exception from 1996 to 2000.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 27 March 2003 07:30 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It should be noted that Moniyhan opposed the 1996 welfare law strenuously. On the other hand, one of his last, most shameful, acts was being co-chair of a Bushite commissione to partially privatize social security. The man was always part neo-con, part New Deal liberal. He never seemed able to reconcile the two.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca