babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Al-Jazeera in English!!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Al-Jazeera in English!!
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 24 March 2003 11:27 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
english.aljazeera.net

Article

quote:
Al-Jazeera went live early yesterday with its English-language Web site -- and the Qatar-based satellite network immediately assumed a posture likely to provoke Western readers.

From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 24 March 2003 11:43 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
CNN vs Al Jazeera
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 25 March 2003 09:08 AM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Having a bit of trouble with the Al-Jazeera site. It appears to be up and down sporadicly.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 March 2003 09:56 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've got it right now.

I didn't know that British offices in Lebanon and Ecuador had been bombed -- ? Going to read more.

Thanks, xrcrguy.

Tommy M
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2183

posted 25 March 2003 04:27 PM      Profile for Tommy M     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

The Web host is based in the Persian Gulf state of Qatar. The servers that host the Al-Jazeera site are in France and the United States. Only the U.S. servers were under attack, said Arrashid, so the attackers were likely in the United States

Al-Jazeera Web Site Under Hacking Attack, Host Says

It's only free speech when you say what you're allowed to say.

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 25 March 2003 05:02 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wouldn't read mush into the intentions of script kiddies:

quote:
At present, the bulk of the protest hacks seem to be originating from Brazil, France, Indonesia, Mexico, Morocco, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and U.K., according to the report. A year ago, the anti-U.S. hacktivists were primarily from Islamic countries such as Indonesia and Pakistan, it added.

Canada in hacktivist crosshairs

Moses
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3823

posted 25 March 2003 10:18 PM      Profile for Moses     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Only the U.S. servers were under attack, said Arrashid, so the attackers were likely in the United States.

Steve_Shutt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2922

posted 26 March 2003 08:04 PM      Profile for Steve_Shutt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have been trying to get on for two days now - without success. It looks like the denial of service attacks are working, is anyone else getting through?

How about "mirror" sites?

Does Al-Jazeera have an english e-mail alert service?

[ 26 March 2003: Message edited by: Steve_Shutt ]

From: coming in off the left wing | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 26 March 2003 09:05 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hmm. Now what could it be about Al Jazeera that so attracts people? It wouldn't be this:

quote:
"We warn the U.S. and advise her to get rid of the Jews." -- Abdallah bin Matruk Al-Haddal, Saudi preacher from the Ministry of Islamic Affairs, on Al-Jazeera TV *

would it?

Maybe this:

quote:
Dr. Faysal Al-Qasem's weekly talk show of May 15,2001, on the Qatar TV channel Al-Jazeera, discussed the question, "Is Zionism worse than Nazism?"[1] The program hosted Dr. Hayat Al-Hwayek 'Atiya, "researcher of Zionism" and follower of Holocaust denier Roger Garaudi and translator of his book into Arabic.

Or this:

quote:
The popular TV station Al-Jazeera brings this kind of incendiary incitement daily into millions of Arab homes,127 repeatedly providing images of a demonic Israel that deliberately spreads drugs, vice, and prostitution into the Arab world and gasses the Palestinians or deliberately poisons their food and water. This is a criminal nation led by a bloodthirsty, cannibalistic ogre who devours Palestinian children every morning for breakfast.

You know, the attempts to cover up the fact that rabid anti-semitism has shifted from the ultra-right to the ultra-left in the past 20 years are getting rather difficult to conceal. Bit by bit the far left becomes more comfortable with openly advocating what amounts to neo-Nazism.

Al Jazeera indeed. "All anti-semitism, all the time"

[ 26 March 2003: Message edited by: Can-Am ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 26 March 2003 09:07 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, Can-Am. We all hate Jews around here. You've got us pegged. Strange how you keep hanging around with us anti-Semites, huh?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John K
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3407

posted 26 March 2003 09:30 PM      Profile for John K        Edit/Delete Post
Like other babblers, I easily linked to Al Jazeera Monday night but have not been able to link to it since.

Sorry CA, your comments are insulting. I would like to go there b/c of Al Jazeera's reputation as a fearless defender of press freedom in a part of the world where that isn't particularly valued. Also, b/c I'm a news junkie and want to find out what's going on. To wit, Al Jazeera is the only media outlet I'm aware of with a reporter(s) on the ground in Basra.

FYI CA, and as much as it pains me to say it, www.foxnews.com is in my opinion one of the better sources for up to the minute war coverage.

[ 26 March 2003: Message edited by: John K ]

Hawkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3306

posted 26 March 2003 09:32 PM      Profile for Hawkins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Or is it that it is important to consult multiple sources on information to create an informed opinion. Can we be sure you have Can Am on your sources of Al Jazeera? I can't really.

If we go by your blanket statements CNN is all anti muslim all the time.

From: Burlington Ont | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 26 March 2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Yeah, Can-Am. We all hate Jews around here. You've got us pegged. Strange how you keep hanging around with us anti-Semites, huh?

Look Michelle, I'm not the one recommending this viciously anti-semitic network as though it represents a legitimate news source. The amount of documentation on Al Jazeera's extreme anti-semitism is overwhelming.

I didn't say anyone here hates Jews. I do find it odd that so many people are interested in a network which features book reviews of Mein Kampf and endless references to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion on their "commentary" programs, etc. etc.

I am certainly not the only one to note the emergence of anti-semitism on the far left. Denying it or attempting to claim it is all legitimate criticism of Israel is disingenuous and dangerous. This is Canada, not Egypt. The Arabic language edition of Al Jazeera would be profoundly illegal in this nation since violates our hate speech laws on an almost hourly basis.

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 26 March 2003 09:38 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Gee. Let's try and guess who is saying these awful things about al jazeera shall we? Screwhead is too busy battling the evil wicked commies hiding under its bed to provide us with links or sources, I guess.
Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 26 March 2003 09:41 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Can we be sure you have Can Am on your sources of Al Jazeera? I can't really

Why don't you just try Al Jazeera itself, Hawkins? Get some translations of any of their programming in a given day. I'll be glad to provide links if you like.

The idea that people in Canada could believe that CNN is anti-Muslim in the same manner that Al Jazeera is anti-semitic is simply frightening.

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 26 March 2003 09:42 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Look Michelle, I'm not the one recommending this viciously anti-semitic network as though it represents a legitimate news source. The amount of documentation on Al Jazeera's extreme anti-semitism is overwhelming.

So overwhelm us. And back it up with sources and/or links. You've spouted so much bullshit on this board I'll accept nothing from you that you can't back up.

quote:
I didn't say anyone here hates Jews. I do find it odd that so many people are interested in a network which features book reviews of Mein Kampf and endless references to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion on their "commentary" programs, etc. etc.

Of course you didn't accuse anyone specifically. If you did you'd actually have to stand behind what you post.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 26 March 2003 09:45 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The site I had the privledge of actually seeing didn't appear to have anything of the sort.

I would prefer to make judgements on my own, but unfortunately, certain "evil doers" have denied us that opportunity.

Besides, this is cyber space, the supposed last bastion of true freedom. Every one has the opportunity to stick their foot in their own mouth and ruin their own credibility.

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 26 March 2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, some wanker was whining about Cubans not having free access to the internet a while back.

quote:
Why don't you just try Al Jazeera itself, Hawkins? Get some translations of any of their programming in a given day. I'll be glad to provide links if you like.

What's this? Links? Sources? Translations? Bring 'em on!

[ 26 March 2003: Message edited by: Moredreads ]

Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 26 March 2003 09:54 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Screwhead is too busy battling the evil wicked commies hiding under its bed to provide us with links or sources, I guess.

I'm starting to think that is more the RCMP's territory. There are some scary people on the Left, for sure.

Muslim Anti-Semitism: A Clear and Present Danger

Arab Anti-Semitism Documentation Project

"Jew" is an offensive and derogatory terms in the Arab World

Leading Egyptian Newspaper raises Blood Libel

Australian Jewish Affaris Council: Arab Media Update

quote:
That "former" Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke calls Israel the world's #1 problem is no surprise. After all, he is...the KKK. He openly proclaims that America is run by "The Jews", who are allied, of course, with that other evil group, "The Blacks". It is not surprising that Duke has been a frequent guest in Arab countries and Arab media, including Al Jazeera, where he rages against "The Jews".

ronb, you figure it out. Just reading this stuff turns my stomach. Good luck with your fucking Jew-hating propaganda network viewing.

Jesus, is there no end to this shit?

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 26 March 2003 09:55 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You went a week or so without mentioning the KKK and David Duke. I thought you'd lost your touch there for awhile.
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 26 March 2003 09:56 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You know of course that Memeri is run by former Mossad people.
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 26 March 2003 09:56 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here's one of its unbiased media sources: The American Jewish Commitee.
Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 26 March 2003 10:03 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here is a source that might be more to your liking. Since the far-right and the far-left seem to be doing a merger this makes sense:

Stormfront White Nationalist Community

featuring:

"Representative David Duke at Al-Jazeera Satellite Network in Qatar"

What next guys? Are you going to defend David Duke too?

Fuck this is depressing. Jesus H. Christ. In Canada!

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 26 March 2003 10:03 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Somebody needs a nap.
Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 26 March 2003 10:05 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Somebody needs to fucking wake up and realize that all is not well on the Left. Does nobody care that you are advocating the same network that regularly features David Duke?

Are you all god damned crazy, or what?

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 26 March 2003 10:07 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Mr - or rather, Colonel - Carmon spent 22 years in Israeli military intelligence and later served as counter-terrorism adviser to two Israeli prime ministers, Yitzhak Shamir and Yitzhak Rabin.

Retrieving another now-deleted page from the archives of Memri's website also throws up a list of its staff. Of the six people named, three - including Col Carmon - are described as having worked for Israeli intelligence.

Also, though you have gathered together a pretty impressive list of anti-semitic articles you said that Al Jazeera, specifically, had anti-semitic material 'on any given day.' Well we are waiting, a quick look through you material shows few references to Al Jazeera (if any.)

This is not to say that Al Jazeera has not aired anti-semitic material, because I know for a fact that it has. But is it the constant barrage of antio-semetism that you have suggested -- not to my knowledge.

Prove it.

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 26 March 2003 10:07 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jeeeesus. Oh my fucking god. The fucking world is ending. The right wing is CRASHING INTO THE LEFT WING! LORD SAVE US ALL!!!! THE HOORRRORRR THE HOOORRROOORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 26 March 2003 10:09 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Somebody needs to fucking wake up and realize that all is not well on the Left. Does nobody care that you are advocating the same network that regularly features David Duke?

Take a deep breath there, Pauline. You're getting all worked up.

Nobody's "advocating" on al-jazeera's behalf. People just want to get a look so they can judge for themselves.

And you established one David Duke appearance. How did it suddenly get to "regularly"? You couldn't resist trying to slip one by, could you?

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 26 March 2003 10:10 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Jeeeesus. Oh my fucking god. The fucking world is ending. The right wing is CRASHING INTO THE LEFT WING! LORD SAVE US ALL!!!! THE HOORRRORRR THE HOOORRROOORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

That is friggin funny!

Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 26 March 2003 10:11 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I just returned from Bahrain and Qatar. In Qatar I appeared on one of the most-watched television satellite channels in the world, Al-Jazeera. An audience of 70 million saw and listened to me expose the Jewish supremacist traitors in the U.S. Government who have sold out America to Israel. In violation of the United States Constitution, the Jewish-dominated U.S. State Department actually protested my appearance and tried to suppress my freedom of speech as an American citizen. More on that a little later, but first, I want to turn to one of the big lies about the coming war on Iraq, that lie is that Big Oil interests, rather than the Zionists, are behind the planned war.

-- DAVID DUKE

From the Stormfront link above. Look Moredreads, I'm not going to "debate" the merits of a neo-Nazi racist like Duke with you. You have demonstrated many times that no person, cause, group or media source is too evil, sick or depraved as long as it aligns with your number one aim in life: to express your seething hatred of capitalism, which is represented symbollically by the US and by Jews in particular.

Fuck this. I feel dirty just having to dig this shit up. Wallow in it if you want to.

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 26 March 2003 10:11 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Duh. If the arab world is your beat, your going to be reporting to a couple of folks who aren't precisely fans of the state of Israel. Some will have some screws loose.

I saw David Duke interviewed on 60 Minutes once. Does that mean I can't watch US TV anymore?

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 26 March 2003 10:13 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Can Am, I aske this question of Fatcalf the other day but perhaps you can answer it for me:

Where do you think Arafat is storing Hitler's DNA until he can be cloned and rise again to stike down the Jewish people as the leader of the Arab Nation?

As important, given the present situation in Iraq how will Saddam funnel the money to the Raelians in order to affect the actual cloning operation?

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 26 March 2003 10:13 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Look you guys. You don't agree with me, so I hate you. I AM OUTTA HERE.

Really. I mean it.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 26 March 2003 10:15 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You need some practice, ronb. I give that a 7 on the flounce scale.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 26 March 2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"Jew" is an offensive and derogatory terms in the Arab World.

I hate to tell you this, unfortunately, "Jew" is used an offensive and derogatory terms in the most of the World, including the United States.

Now I know that you are not able to debate with me, but I challenge you to disprove that Memri is a Mossad front organization, as outlined in the link I provided above.

Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 26 March 2003 10:20 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
David Duke has been interviewed in the US, ronb. As an example of a disgusting, depraved racist scumbag. He is an HONORED GUEST on Al Jazeera.

You know it really is mind boggling that not ONE of you reacted by saying: "whoa, Al Jazeera features people like David Duke? Shit, that's preety bad. I guess I'll have to think some more before advocating that network".

Who WON'T you defend? I mean for Christ sake David Duke is supposed to be the mortal enemy of the Left! He certainly is my mortal enemy. It is simply disgusting that anyone jokes about this stuff.

Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 26 March 2003 10:23 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I hate to tell you this, unfortunately, "Jew" used an offensive and derogatory terms in the most of the World, including the Untied States.

"Jew" is not an "offensive and derogatory term" in the US, Moredreads. And I think you are about to cross the line into pure hate speech, if you have not done so already.

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 26 March 2003 10:27 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ah I see. Broadcasting David Duke's words are perfectly okay if you sorta sneer while you're doing it. Good to know. How about broadcasting the Saudi Foreign Minister's thoughts on US TV. Do we have to sneer at him when we talk to him, or can we pretend we like him, even though he is not crazy about Jewish people?

THIS TIME I REALLY MEAN IT GADDAMMIITT!! AUDI 5000 G.

(Better?)

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 26 March 2003 10:28 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think he left a couple of words out of that sentence - it should likely read "used to be" instead of just "used". The point I got from what he wrote is that Jewish people have not only been discriminated against in the Arab world, but also the rest of the world as well, including here, and that racist people everywhere have considered the word "Jew" to be derogatory at some time or other.

[ 26 March 2003: Message edited by: Michelle ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 26 March 2003 10:30 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Duh. If the arab world is your beat, your going to be reporting to a couple of folks who aren't precisely fans of the state of Israel. Some will have some screws loose.

Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell have been interviewed on mainstream US news sources as has that crackpot Bob Dornan, haven't they?

(B-1 Bob as they used to call him would go the most amazing vicious shade of red and scream his fool head off in Congress when he got time in the Well.)

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 26 March 2003 10:30 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
... and sadly, many racists that I have encountered in the US still do, Michelle. Some in canada, though fewer.

AND THAT IS FINAL!!!! ARGGHGGHHG YOU PEOPLE!!!!!

Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 26 March 2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
ronb, David Duke is a paraih in the US. His very name is synonymous with repulsive racism, and he is a former Grand Dragon in the kkk. There is a huge difference between being interviewed (Charles Manson was also interviewed on 60 Minutes) and acting as a guest commentator as Duke does on Al Jazeera.

If you cannot see this then you and I have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to talk about. I am simply blown away that you seem to want to defend all of this. Fucking. Blown. Away.

I have taken shots at various babblers before but it was always more or less ribbing and joking. David Duke is a different matter. This is seriously evil shit you are trying to defend.

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 26 March 2003 10:35 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't think anyone is defending him.

quote:
"Jew" is not an "offensive and derogatory term" in the US, Moredreads. And I think you are about to cross the line into pure hate speech, if you have not done so already

Oh it most certainly is to many people in fact.

If it is not, how did David Duke, former KKK Grand Dragon, former Nazi party member, former Louisiana House Representative get 40% of the vote in a 1990 Senate race. In the same state he ran for governor and garnered 35% of the vote, as one of two run-off candidates in a tight three way race?

If Louisiana is not a hot bed of anti-semetism how can you explain that?

He has appeared on CNN numerous times. Does this mean that CNN is also a hotbed of racism?

You are a wanker.

Now I know your avoidance skills are pretty rock solid but back to Memri and the Mossad link...

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 26 March 2003 10:41 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Who WON'T you defend? I mean for Christ sake David Duke is supposed to be the mortal enemy of the Left! He certainly is my mortal enemy. It is simply disgusting that anyone jokes about this stuff.

News Flash! (Pun intended.) Nobody's defending anyone. We're just trying to get a look at the place. Just because I may tune in Pat Robertson at some point doesn't mean I'm defending him.

And we're not laughing at "this stuff". We're laughing at you. But you knew that.

Steve_Shutt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2922

posted 26 March 2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Steve_Shutt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Can-Am seems to be spending a lot of his/her time (sorry, I'm not sure if we've met) arguing that Al-Jazeera is spouting hate. It may very well be, but unfortunately I (having a mind of my own) would like the opportunity to judge for myself and am unsuccessful in my attempts to do so. As a critical thinker I prefer to at least start with original source material before proceeding to

Again, I ask, are there any mirror sites out there? For the english language site? Does Al-Jazeera have e-mail news updates in english? If for no other reason than to get Al-Jazeera's stock-ticker (have you seen this, there it is in the lower left-hand corner monitoring Haliburton and Worldcom stock - )

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 26 March 2003 10:47 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think this thread is onto dangerous territory - I mean from the standpoint of the site. It is not adviseable to link to hate sites such as Stormfront. I looked at the Zundelsite too, when doing research about the cretin, but never linked to it here, even to denounce him.

Just as a pedant, here, "Jew" is not at all derogatory as a noun. As an adjective, instead of "Jewish", it is derogative - I have to tell my students that, they often make the honest mistake, because "Juif" is the same as noun and adjective in French. And of course the verb "to Jew", like the verb "to Gyp" are highly offensive to the respective peoples.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 26 March 2003 10:50 PM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
ronb, I think if you were wearing one of these:

it might come off as more authentic?

From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 26 March 2003 10:50 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think this thread is onto dangerous territory - I mean from the standpoint of the site. It is not adviseable to link to hate sites such as Stormfront. I looked at the Zundelsite too, when doing research about the cretin, but never linked to it here, even to denounce him.

Just as a pedant, here, "Jew" is not at all derogatory as a noun. As an adjective, instead of "Jewish", it is derogative - I have to tell my students that, they often make the honest mistake, because "Juif" is the same as noun and adjective in French. And of course the verb "to Jew", like the verb "to Gyp" are highly offensive to the respective peoples.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 26 March 2003 10:52 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have often heard and seen the term 'to Jew' someone, in the United States while travelling there. Meaning of course to be stingy or cheap in a business transaction. Anyone who thinks that there is not a great deal of racism in the States against Jewish people simply does not get out much.
Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 26 March 2003 11:10 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well lagatta, if you don't like the Stormfront/Al Jazeera/David Duke connection maybe this little article from http://palestine.wisdom.org (a Palestinian site dedicated to the "struggle") will help:

quote:
David Duke: In a major section of his book, "My Awakening: A Path to Racial Understanding", Duke offers compelling evidence (primarily from Jewish sources) that a prominent segment of Jewry promotes what he calls “Jewish supremacism." He is careful to point out that this supremacist segment does not include all Jews, but that this supremacist element dominates the leading Jewish religious and social organizations. They support Israel, which is clearly a Jewish supremacist state, complete with ethnic cleansing, segregation, and discrimination against the original Palestinian inhabitants. Duke maintains that not only do these organized Jewish groups seek supremacy in Israel, but also pursue hegemony in the major nations of the world through media domination and political influence... Click here to read more and purchase book

David Duke also states in that same book that Africans are a "mud race" and that "race mixing" is the cause of most of the world's problems. This man is a Nazi. One of the top-selling books in Palestine for many years has been Mein Kampf.

Look, sticking your head in the sand will not help. Slavery in the US was ended at the cost of thousands of lives. Racism has still not been eradicated, but the US is infinitely further along the curve than is the Arab world right now. The Arab people need help and support to overcome this. We work toward overcoming racism in our society, we should expect no less of thiers. To the extent that the Left attempts to deny, elide or conceal the shocking level of race-hatred amongst Arab Muslims is the extent to which it is complicit in maintaining the status quo. All human beings are prone to the curse of racism. The proper response is to confront it and fight it, WHEREVER IT OCCURS.

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 26 March 2003 11:18 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What does any of that have to do with al-jazeera and the desire of some people to look for themselves?
Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 26 March 2003 11:23 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Nothing. I never said that people should not watch Al Jazeera. I sometimes listen to Pat Robertson. Every time he re-confirms my opinion that he is a dangerous bigot. I've also read parts of Mein Kampf and other racist literature. But I don't consider such people and writings to be "valid alternative sources" in the way that some people seem to be suggesting that Al Jazeera is a valid alternative to CNN or the CBC. It is not. Until they change they will never be anything but a channel for anti-semitic (not to mention anti-gay and misogynist) propaganda.
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 26 March 2003 11:37 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Slavery in the US was ended at the cost of thousands of lives.

Can Am you know absolutely nothing about history. The Civil war resulted in the deaths of nearly 200,000 Americans. Properly the cost was hundreds of thousands, not simply thousands.

Furthemore the primary source for your evidence that racism is more rampant in the Arab world (where it undoubtably exists as it does everywhere) is a web site that is run by former Mossad intelligence people.

You have been duped. It is quite understandable but the purpose of the site is primarily to seek out and then publicize evidence of Arab anti-semetism. For instance I challenge you to find any translations of non-racist articles by Arabs on its web site. Try and find for instance anything by Edward Said there. You will not find it because Memri is not interested in presenting the reasonable face of the Arab world, but the ugly face.

On the other hand you will not find a single translation from Hebrew of any racist commentary by Israelis, of which there is much.

Why is that Middle East Media Institute does not translate Hebrew into English?

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 26 March 2003 11:45 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
But I don't consider such people and writings to be "valid alternative sources" in the way that some people seem to be suggesting that Al Jazeera is a valid alternative to CNN or the CBC.

Which people have suggested that? Are they on this thread? Who in the world are you talking to?

quote:
It is not. Until they change they will never be anything but a channel for anti-semitic (not to mention anti-gay and misogynist) propaganda.

So now every minute of programming they do is anti-semitic? Can you ever get your story straight? It changes every time you post.

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 26 March 2003 11:58 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
But I don't consider such people and writings to be "valid alternative sources" in the way that some people seem to be suggesting that Al Jazeera is a valid alternative to CNN or the CBC.

I challenge this. It is primarily because of Al Jazeera coverage and other Arab media that several key untruths purported as fact by CNN and other US media have been uncovered. These are:

1) That Umm Qasr was captured on Friday.

2) That the 51st division and its commander surrendered, when no such thing occurred.

3) That the 18th Mechanized division surrendered, when no such thing occurred.

4) An uprising in Basra is denied by the supposed sponsors SCIRI.

All of these errors have been uncovered first in the Arab media. Whatever the editorial slant of these sources, they are more often accurate as a source of raw information than US sources.

Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 27 March 2003 12:00 AM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
You know it really is mind boggling that not ONE of you reacted by saying: "whoa, Al Jazeera features people like David Duke? Shit, that's preety bad. I guess I'll have to think some more before advocating that network".

That's because we are not stupis unthinking trolls who groupthink like a bunch of dittoheads. We like to see for ourselves. We are, and other babblers may forgive me for being so bold, intelligent enough to separate the wheat from the chaf.

No one defended Duke. No one mentioned Duke until you brought it up. No one disagreed with you that Duke is bugshit looney. Yet you still manage to convince yourself that we are all Klansmen in disguise. Pat Robertson is likewise bugshit loco, as others have mentioned, yet he still manages to get some pretty significant coverage and airtime for his views on CNN and other networks. He should scare you too.

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 27 March 2003 12:34 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Al Jazeera's sites, in both English and Arabic, have been down for me all day. They are not resolving at any name server, and I have tried several name servers on different continents.

As soon as it is up, can someone who has the competence post the IP address of english.aljazeera.net? Thanks.

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 12:35 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I am assuming you watch Al Jazeera regularly, Can-Am, as you seem to know what they cover. How often do you watch it?
Subotai
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3435

posted 27 March 2003 01:17 AM      Profile for Subotai     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No one is defending David Duke here. I just don't see how David Duke is representative of al-Jazeera. If someone is interviewed by a broadcaster, does that mean the broadcaster supports the interviewee's statements? Colin Powell and Donald Rumsfeld have made appearances on al-Jazeera. So has Tony Blair.

According to Western media reports, al-Jazeera has actually come under fire from the Arab world for interviewing Israeli leaders and showing footage of Israeli victims of suicide bombers.

Plenty of credible Western news sources have run stories on al-Jazeera. While the consensus is that the station is definitely flashy, opinionated, and controversial, few are suggesting it is merely a mouthpiece for anti-American regimes, Islamic extremists, or rabid anti-semitism.

On the contrary, some have called it the closest thing the Arab world has to free speech. They're saying it's the only Arab news source not tied to a specific government or organization. Apparently, al-Jazeera has managed to piss off everybody.

Some members of the Western media have suggested that even if you vehemently disagree with al-Jazeera's coverage, it is worth watching for the very fact that it is so popular. Watching it provides an insight into how its 35 million Arab viewers are seeing this war.

NBC - In defense of al-Jazeera

NBC - al-Jazeera shakes pro-Taliban image

CTV - al-Jazeera's window on the world

CBS - The War You See

Business Week - al-Jazeera: In an intense spotlight

Boston Globe - Differing TV images feed Arab, U.S. views

St.Petersburg Times - Scrapppy al-Jazeera stands up

Tucson Citizen - Arab network worth watch by Americans

The Mercury News - U.S. public seeing different war than rest of world

I've never watched al-Jazeera. I think it'd be illuminating to check it out, for all the reasons stated in these articles. I'll have to take it with plenty of salt, no doubt.

But we all know to do that with any media outlet, right?

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: Subotai ]

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: Subotai ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 27 March 2003 03:00 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
rasmus, you're not gonna like this, but I can't even get an nslookup on english.aljazeera.net or aljazeera.net.

Not on my Shaw account (which uses Shaw's nameservers) or my university account (which uses the uni nameservers).

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 March 2003 08:52 AM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Apparently, al-Jazeera has managed to piss off everybody.

That's exactly what journalists are supposed to do.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 27 March 2003 08:55 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
BTW, shouldn't this thread be in the media section? Everything keeps getting posted in News!
Steve_Shutt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2922

posted 27 March 2003 11:35 AM      Profile for Steve_Shutt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If Al-Jazeera is being intentionally "jammed" then yes, it is news.

That the site has been inaccessable (including the arab language site) for days now I am increasingly convinced that it is a story. I am wondering if any western sources have picked up the story. If CNN or BBC had their web-site inaccessable for days on end, in the middle of a war, then I'm sure it would be news.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 11:41 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Be very careful trying to access those sites. They DNS has been hijacked and typing in the URL will redirect you to http://members.networld.com/freedom2003 which will attempt to download an executable file on to your system. I haven't had a chance to test this file but I would suspect evil intent. Be warned.
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 March 2003 11:42 AM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I am wondering if any western sources have picked up the story.

Does SlashDot count?

quote:
The buzz amongst my Muslim acquaintances is that the al-Jazeera site is under "cyber-attack." Shortly after posting photos of mangled Iraqi children the server became unavailable. I don't have satellite TV to see if they are reporting anything on al-Jazeera itself, but pinging their name servers fails too. For those who don't already know, the al-Jazeera channel is a pan-Arabic satellite TV channel out of Qatar.

Tommy M
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2183

posted 27 March 2003 12:41 PM      Profile for Tommy M     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How about?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 27 March 2003 12:44 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Great, DeadEye, works for me.
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 01:06 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jihad TV
Adam
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 358

posted 27 March 2003 01:59 PM      Profile for Adam     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
David Duke has been interviewed in the US, ronb. As an example of a disgusting, depraved racist scumbag. He is an HONORED GUEST on Al Jazeera.
Uh.. George W. Bush is the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES (and he once said that all non-Christians in Israel are going to hell. Seriously.). John Ashcroft is the Attorney General. I see those guys on TV every day. Do you have any idea how fanatical, racist, sexist, and homophobic those fucking idiots are?

From: MurderHouse Nation | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 27 March 2003 03:34 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
OK, this explains a few things: Hackers Replace Al-Jazeera Web Site With American Flag
quote:
Hackers on Thursday replaced the English-language Web site for Arab satellite television network Al-Jazeera with a U.S. flag and the message "Let Freedom Ring."
Er -- except for Freedom of the Press and Freedom of Speech.
quote:
The hackers, calling themselves the "Freedom Cyber Force Militia," briefly hijacked Internet traffic destined for Al-Jazeera's Web site and redirected it to a different Web page on computers operated by Networld Connections Inc., an Internet provider in Salt Lake City.

The likely hacking technique, called "DNS poisoning," fools so-called domain name servers across the Internet and is relatively difficult to defend against.

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 March 2003 03:36 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Aren't those hackers now guilty of terrorism under recent American legislation?
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 03:38 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yep. I'm sure the FBI will act real soon.
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 27 March 2003 03:50 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Any body else getting these max alert pop-ups. new since the war get them every time I access a site related to the "other side". am i getting ultra-paranoid?
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 03:52 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Honoured guest? Repeated guest?

Al Jeezera is the most pro-Amer... I mean, pro-democracy network out there since it REPEATEDLY shows HONOURED guest Condolezza Rice

Al - Jazeera Calls on U.S. to Ensure Free Press

Tommy M
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2183

posted 27 March 2003 04:03 PM      Profile for Tommy M     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Any body else getting these max alert pop-ups. new since the war get them every time I access a site related to the "other side". am i getting ultra-paranoid?

I have not seen any pop ups.

redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 27 March 2003 04:04 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
showed up when I tried your link above. supposed to be anti-hacker software free.
Tommy M
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2183

posted 27 March 2003 04:06 PM      Profile for Tommy M     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is it anything to do with what Wingnut said above?

quote:

Be very careful trying to access those sites. They DNS has been hijacked and typing in the URL will redirect you to http://members.networld.com/freedom2003 which will attempt to download an executable file on to your system. I haven't had a chance to test this file but I would suspect evil intent. Be warned.

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 March 2003 04:07 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When a DNS is hijacked, you end up at a completely different site.
Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 27 March 2003 04:11 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

quote:

A Pakistani student wears a headband with the words 'kill jews,' during an anti-war rally at a university in Islamabad, March 26, 2003. The students of Quaid-i-Azam University gathered on Wednesday to protest against the U.S.-led war in Iraq. REUTERS/Mian Khursheed

How long before we see this sort of thing at Concordia? Marxists and Wahabbis. Politics makes for strange bedfellows.

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: Can-Am ]

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 March 2003 04:14 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What does that have to do with al-jazeera?
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 04:15 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, yes, far more terrible then the racism we see in the states or elsewhere.

I will agree politics does make strange bedfellows. I mean, Pakistan is an ally, isn't it?

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 04:16 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How long before there are people in Iraq that want to kill every last Iraqi there?

Oh wait...

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 27 March 2003 04:20 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Nice trolling there, Can-Am.

Are you trying to ignite hatred and flame wars?

Or do you really believe that the photo has something to do with the subject of this thread?

Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 27 March 2003 04:21 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It is indicative of a larger trend: Leftists turning a blind eye to rank anti-semitism throughout the Muslim world. We should no more countenance or apologize for this than we would apologize for the continued existence of pockets of racism in the American South.

There are many hundreds--if not thousands--of examples of this from Al Jazeera's Arabic language service (of course the English service is santized for Western consumption).

Moredreads said earlier that MEMRI is an organ of the Mossad (more anti-semitic propaganda). MEMRI provides simple translations of things that are broadcast over Al Jazeera and other channels. I have not heard anyone claim that the translations are not accurate. Until someone can prove this then it would not matter who controls MEMRI. But you need not rely on MEMRI, there are plenty of examples on Muslim-run sites themselves.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 04:22 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In all fairness to Can-Am, sometimes I don't know where to post something and I will selct a related thread. But in this instance, well, there is someone, somewhere, who hates. Gosh. Who would have guessed among the serenity and peace that drapes over the planet someone would be capable of irrational hate?
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 March 2003 04:23 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
It is indicative of a larger trend: Leftists turning a blind eye to rank anti-semitism throughout the Muslim world. We should no more countenance or apologize for this than we would apologize for the continued existence of pockets of racism in the American South.

Which leftists? Name names. Oh, I forgot - this is Can-Am I'm talking to. You must own the franchise in your area for Straw Men R Us.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 04:26 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
There are many hundreds--if not thousands--of examples of this from Al Jazeera's Arabic language service (of course the English service is santized for Western consumption).

But that image you posted isn't from Al Jazeera. Are you saying I would never see something like that on CNN? ABC? CBC?

If I did, would that indicate those networks are racist.

It amazes me that you and so many other Americans wouold be so upset that another news organization in the world would be as slanted and biased as CNN.

Talk about irrational hatred.

Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 27 March 2003 04:29 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Or do you really believe that the photo has something to do with the subject of this thread?

The subject of this thread is the legitimacy of Al Jazeera. I have demonstrated that Al Jazeera has ties to people like David Duke. I have also provided a few of the hundreds of links available to articles which prove that Al Jazeera goes far beyond "criticism of Israel" and is firmly in the territory once occupied by Goebbels, et al.

The scurrilous remarks above about the US being the true Nazis (or whatever) are further evidence of the depraved and dangerous collapse of the ultra-left toward a witch's brew of Marxism, Wahabbism and latent neo-Nazism.

What the hell do you think people like Hitchens, Walzer, etc. are on about? They are not on about the mainstream Left. They are pointing out that the hard left is metastasizing into something profoundly dangerous which must be stopped.

I expect I've engaed in "too much free speech" for the tastes of some people, so I expect to be banned soon (not that I want to be banned, but silencing dissent is the hard Left's Stalinist birthright). Before I am silenced I would urge anyone here with a conscience to think about what you want to support. The traditional Left in Canada supports tolerance, not Wahabbist anti-semitism masquerading as the "desperation of the oppressed".

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 March 2003 04:32 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The subject of this thread is the legitimacy of Al Jazeera.

I could have sworn the subject of this thread was the availability of al-jazeera - at least in everyone else's mind - at least until you came along and hijacked it.

Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 27 March 2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Can-Am: Al-Jazeera Arabic views things unapologetically through an Arab lens the way things that CNN English views things through an American lens. It is at least willing to give time to the other side. If you don't like it, you are declaring that there should be no media that views things in the perspective and contexts of the Arab world. I suggest that this actually causes more harm and resentment and more fertile ground for those ideologies that we both find distasteful. A fundamental part of the source of hatred in the Arab world is the fact that they feel voiceless... Give 20 years or so of a voice and we might eventually really see the glimmerings of a Happy Liberal Middle East. Certainly more effective than bombs.

As for your left/anti-semitism thing, *yawn*, haven't we been there millions of times already?

From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 04:35 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So, Can-Am, I guess every Israeli agrees with stuff like:

quote:
Sheetrit and the Israeli-KGB at its best! And then we wonder why Israel is loosing the war against Arab scum.

George Bush doesn't denounce people warring against all those Arab Scum so therefore he thinks Arabs are scum.

Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 27 March 2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hmm, so I thnk I'll go pick some random picture of a white supremacist rally and slap it in some thread to demonstrate how racist Americans are. Or something...what's the point again?

Looks to me someone's grasping at straw (men).

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 04:40 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm all for strawmen. I haven't seen Can-Am denounce those that want to kill all Arabs.
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 27 March 2003 06:53 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I have demonstrated that Al Jazeera has ties to people like David Duke.

... but did you know that the History Channel has "ties" TO PEOPLE LIKE ADOLPH HITLER!!!!!!!!!

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 27 March 2003 07:07 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Where's that dress? I need that dress!!!! I'M OUTTA HERE!!!
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 27 March 2003 07:53 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I have demonstrated that Al Jazeera has ties to people like David Duke.

You've demonstrated no such thing. You just threw out an accusation without proof.
For Duke to have "ties" to Al Jazeera, I'd expect him to, oh, maybe own part of the company. Or even work for them. Or perhaps be married to the cousin of the partner of the news editor in Yemen.

But we see only your trademark hysterical raving lunacy.

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 27 March 2003 07:56 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Much as I hate to interrupt this troll-feeding frenzy, here's an AP story about the hacking:

quote:
March 27, 2003 WASHINGTON (AP) -- Hackers on Thursday replaced the English-language Web site for Arab satellite television network Al-Jazeera with a U.S. flag and the message "Let Freedom Ring." Hours later, the site was hacked again by others.

Hackers calling themselves the "Freedom Cyber Force Militia" earlier hijacked Internet traffic destined for Al-Jazeera's Web site and redirected it to a different Web page on computers operated by Networld Connections Inc., an Internet provider in Salt Lake City. That site was shut down hours later.

The likely hacking technique, called "DNS poisoning," fools traffic-directing computers across the Internet, similar to vandalizing exit signs on an interstate to misdirect travelers. It is relatively difficult to defend against.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 08:21 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post
Hate to interrupt the stoning of CanAm for suggesting Al-Jazeera might air some questionable material, but he might have a point. Didn't the Egyptian national television station air "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion", a notorious anti-Semetic piece of propaganda, quite recently. And no, they weren't using it in an ironic sense. This wouldn't be aired on a western (ie. North American/European) television network, unless it was being used to point out a problem.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=4151

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: fatcalf ]

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 March 2003 08:25 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
1. What does Egyptian national television's choice of material have to do with al-jazeera?

2. Once again, we were discussing access to al-jazeera, not praising their content. Most of us haven't even seen the content yet.

fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 08:26 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
1. What does Egyptian national television's choice of material have to do with al-jazeera?

Answer: nothing. Nothing at all. Egypt operates in a vacuum. Not part of the "Arab World". Sorry I mentioned it (scurries off nervously).

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 08:37 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The problem is not that Can Am is suggesting that al Jezeera is airing objectionable material. Only Can Am would suggest we are defending al Jezeera's interview of David Duke here. It's that Can Am dismisses outright al Jezeera on the basis of one interview.

Meanwhile, in a land dominated, I think, by state television, al-Jezeera is one channel of apparent independence (and, everyone knows an independent press is one of those building blocks of a democracy). Arab-haters that dismiss it for one objectionable guest.

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 27 March 2003 08:38 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
How long before we see this sort of thing at Concordia? Marxists and Wahabbis. Politics makes for strange bedfellows.

I see your posting vile anti-semitic propoganda again. How very nice. I don't even see any direct denunciation of the headband in your text. It almost reads as if you are praising the photograph.

Are you an anti-semite because you posted this photo?

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 08:40 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Nothing at all. Egypt operates in a vacuum. Not part of the "Arab World"

Oh, I see! The monolithic Arab world. Sure, all Arabs think alike. I get it. So is it just Arabs who think alike?

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 27 March 2003 08:46 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Nazi demosntrating in the USA.

How long before we see this sort of thing at NYU? Christian Funfamentalist and Kahane supporters. Politics makes for strange bedfellows.I guesss these people are representative of the USA! Just like your photo is representative of all Pakistani's. If anyone is promoting race hate on this board it is you.

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: Moredreads ]

fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 08:56 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post
Moredreads: quit posting pictures from your family reunion last summer. Your over-weening pride betrays you!
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 09:08 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Moredreads: quit posting pictures from your family reunion last summer. Your over-weening pride betrays you!

lalala 2

Hey, does anyone know of a lalala 3 from fatcalf?

fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 09:16 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post
Fresh from the department called "What is the Frequency, Kenneth", comes this:

quote:
Hey, does anyone know of a lalala 3 from fatcalf?

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 09:19 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What, don't you recognize when someone is trying to get you banned?

I've never done this before. Thought it be fun.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 09:20 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You didn't get that did you fatcalf?
fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 09:23 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post
Nope. Must be a private joke, I guess.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 09:25 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Nope not at all. You didn't get it just because your an idiot.

See! I can troll too. Lalalala!

fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 09:26 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post
Is lalala like saying *plonk*?
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 09:28 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
*sigh*
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 09:28 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If it was a plonk, I wouldn't be respond. lalala... like someone whistling away to themselves when working...

Maybe it's a regionalism, too...

Jobes
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2579

posted 27 March 2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Jobes     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Someone want to explain *plonk* and lalala for me please?
From: Oakville, ON, Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 09:34 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is it just me that's familiar with la-la-la?

Connect the dots, la, la-laahh...!

fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 09:34 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post
Not knowing any better, I would say the expletive "lalala" is the direct verbal result of consuming too much "plonk" ie. cheap red wine.
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 09:37 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Naw, actually.. hahahaa... this is too funny... its from PeeWee Herman. Do a google of "la la la" and "connect".

PS: I hope I don't have to explain "hahaha" too.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 27 March 2003 09:39 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ha! I didn't catch that either, clockwork, but boy does that bring back memories...bad ones!

"Connect the dots...la la la la!"

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 09:42 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey man, you can diss Pee Wee, but that show was classic.
fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 09:45 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post
Hey, I didn't know I'd stumbled into a Paul Reubens Fan Club! (Is this somehow connected to Babblers Who Aren't Getting Any)? Inquiring minds want to know.
Jobes
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2579

posted 27 March 2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Jobes     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
C'est quoi, Plonk?
From: Oakville, ON, Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 09:46 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post
As they used to say in my old neighbourhood, "Vas te fair enqueler par la Plonk!"
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 27 March 2003 09:47 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The show WAS pretty funny. I'm a few years older than you, I think, so I was a little too old for it - it was "kid fare" and I was just old enough to scorn "kid shows" and a little too young to see it as a cult favorite like a lot of teens and people in their early 20's see some of these shows.

One thing I remember that always makes me laugh is that on one episode (aired early on a Saturday morning when most kids' parents are likely in bed or at least grumpy to be awake), Pee Wee tells the kids to go to their kitchen cupboard, get out the pots and pans, and make their own drum set. Then for the next two minutes, Pee Wee starts banging on his own pots and pans and encouraging his viewers to do the same. I thought I would die laughing. I was just imagining all the parents out there sitting bolt upright directly out of their sleep hearing that. If I'd done that as a kid, my parents would have skinned me alive.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 27 March 2003 09:50 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not, by the way, that this has anything to do with Al-Jazeera. Oh well, this thread is living on borrowed time anyhow.
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 09:53 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, if al Jezeera showed Pee Wee's playhouse, I bet the Middle East would be a happier place.
fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 09:53 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post
Poor PeeWee: I predict he'll show up on A&E Biography before you can say Bill Kurtis. Amusing guy (PeeWee, not Bill).
fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 09:54 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post
To bring this back to the topic ... what if Paul Reubens got a gig on Al-Jazeera!
Moses
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3823

posted 27 March 2003 10:24 PM      Profile for Moses     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
How long before we see this sort of thing at Concordia? Marxists and Wahabbis.

CAN-AM, you are warned. Once more and you're out of here. Taking an incident of racism and generalizing it to apply to all Pakistani's, all Marxists or all Wahabbis is irresponsible and racist in itself. I'm watching you CAN-AM.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 27 March 2003 10:52 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
fatcalf:
quote:
Didn't the Egyptian national television station air "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion", a notorious anti-Semetic piece of propaganda, quite recently.

No.

Read your own link to discover the name of the TV show.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 27 March 2003 11:08 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The poor obese son of a cow is very confused.
Is there an ultra right forum that closed recently?

From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 27 March 2003 11:19 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Perhaps our bovine friend was culled from the herd?

"Whoopie ti-yi-yo
Git along little dogies..."

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 27 March 2003 11:29 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Maybe the chief bovine gave him a bums rush?
fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 11:32 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post
No ... bum rushes are probably more your own specialty.
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 27 March 2003 11:36 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Nope I like to see premature retirement.
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 28 March 2003 12:04 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
fatcalf, if you're going to curse in another language, at least get it right. It's not "enqueler". Think about it for at least one ten millionth of a second and it should be obvious.

[ 28 March 2003: Message edited by: rasmus_raven ]

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 28 March 2003 12:10 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
for future reference, the english.aljazeera.net IP address is 64.106.174.80

try clicking on http://64.106.174.80

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 28 March 2003 12:11 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey I just went to http://english.aljazeera.net/ and got what appears to be the Arabic Al Jazeera site.

I guess the hack attack is over, for now at least.

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 28 March 2003 12:17 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Actually, I'm not sure that is the correct Al Jazeera site. Two days ago, http://aljazeera.net took me to the Arabic home page of Al Jazeera, from where you could view AJ videos and so forth.

This page seems to be a clipping service. Perhaps it is only temporary until they get things up and running again.

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 28 March 2003 12:26 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Now AFP is reporting that english.aljazeera.net will not be properly launched until mid-April:

quote:

Launch of English website delayed until mid-April

Doha - Waves of spam kept Al-Jazeera's website down for a third day on Thursday and officials at the satellite channel said it was coming from US e- mailers apparently angry over its coverage of the Iraqi war.

The Qatar-based network, which has broadcast graphic footage of dead US and British soldiers, also said it would now have to delay the introduction of an English-language site for several weeks due to the barrage of spam, or junk electronic mail.

"English.aljazeera.net will not be launched until mid-April," online editor-in-chief Abdel Aziz Al-Mahmud told AFP.

The AFP story (site may be down)

You can read more about this and other stories here

Al Jazeera says it has duty to show world casualties from both sides

quote:

Responding to criticism for airing footage of dead U.S. and British soldiers, the Arab satellite television network Al-Jazeera said Thursday it had a duty to show the world casualties on all sides in the Iraq war.

"War has victims from both sides," said Al-Jazeera's editor in chief, Ibrahim Hilal. "If you don't show both sides, you are not covering" the war.

Al-Jazeera critics accused of double standards

quote:
Critics of Arabic news channel al-Jazeera's decision to broadcast footage of dead British and US soldiers were today accused of double standards by a former BBC senior journalist in the Gulf region.

A former BBC Middle East correspondent, Tim Llewelyn, an expert on the region's media, said al-Jazeera was just doing what the BBC "had taught them to do" and providing coverage of the Iraq war from another perspective.

Steve_Shutt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2922

posted 28 March 2003 12:27 AM      Profile for Steve_Shutt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sorry, still no success logging in - the mind-control crew still seems to have the upper hand which is really a shame, especially if Can-Am's junior high school diatribe is to be believed. The best way to combat racist propoganda is to expose it, let people see it for the tripe that it is. Lies are easier to sustain in secret then they are in the open. If Al-Jazeera says that the sky is green, water is dry or that the Maple Leaf's have the depth to make the Cup finals then the untruth will be exposed for all to see. Hiding them from view only lends credibility to those who think what they have to say is worth listening to.

Besides, I want to read the news from a network Bahrain (coalition base site) kicked out for its "Zionist bias".

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 28 March 2003 12:27 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Score a half point for freedom!
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 28 March 2003 10:31 AM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
fatcalf: "Pictures from your family reunions"? C'mon. There's no need for that. Behave yourself, or you're gone.

this thread is also too long.

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca