babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Lucio Gutierrez Wins in Ecuador

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Lucio Gutierrez Wins in Ecuador
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 15 January 2003 06:43 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another win for the Left in South America!

bbc

quote:
Soup not suppression

Lucio Gutierrez first came to national prominence in January 2000 when his troops were ordered to break up demonstrations in the capital Quito by tens of thousands of Ecuadorians of Indian descent.

They were protesting at the government's corruption and economic policies, which they said had left them in poverty.

Rather than expelling them, Colonel Gutierrez set up mobile army kitchens to feed the protesters and allowed them to take over the country's congress building.

He then joined Indian leader Antonio Vargas and a judge, Carlos Solorzano, in announcing a government of "national salvation" to run the country...

[ 15 January 2003: Message edited by: flotsom ]

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 15 January 2003 11:50 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am glad Gutierrez won. Still, the history of "left-wing colonels" in the region is pretty disappointing. Because they do not usually climb to power on a movement of educated and dedicated activists, they tend to compromise and back off on their promises, and sometimes become far too authoritarian themselves. Peru has had left-wing colonels, with no real result, Venezuela has Chavez, who may someday produce something, but so far has mainly achieved the ability to remain in office, and of course Bolivia has had five or more "leftist" soldiers in office.

The most important immediate question, for me, is the series of US bases being built in Ecuador to support intervention against Colombian guerrillas next door. Anyone with minimal left-wing credentials would shut these down immediately, and deny national territory to foreign bases defending against nothing. Chavez won't tolerate a US base in Venezuela, and neither should Gutierrez in Ecuador.

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 16 January 2003 12:22 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Peru has had left-wing colonels, with no real result, Venezuela has Chavez, who may someday produce something, but so far has mainly achieved the ability to remain in office, and of course Bolivia has had five or more "leftist" soldiers in office.

I think it is ufair to judge people such as Chavez in these terms, I mean what do you mean by 'no real result.' I gues it is understood that these people operate in negative international environments, where the business elite does everything to ake life difficult for them.

The fact that 'left wing' military people are proving more and more successful, may be because civilian people, such as Allende... well need I say more?

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 16 January 2003 12:46 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe, as well, that Gutierrez has specifically mentioned Chavez as his model for reforming government. Whether this will lead to the same exacerbated conflicts between people insistent on preserving the extreme maldistribution of income or a learning from Venezuela's problems is up in the air.

We shall see.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 16 January 2003 03:17 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since military culture in Latin America is generally profoundly anti-democratic, "leftist" leaders within the military are often quite authoritarian.

The "leftist" government in office in Peru became a "rightist" government within about a year. Peron was supported by many leftists (including some Trotskyists) until he killed them off. The supporters of Peronism in the 1970's would have learned the same lesson, except that they were slaughtered before they figured it out.

While I think Chavez has been more authoritarian than makes sense (for example, the Congress elected with him turned itself into a "Constituent Assembly" and rewrote the Constitution at his direction), nonetheless he still has a substantial commitment to his impoverished constituency, and has my support.

Gutierrez, to my knowledge, does not have the kind of educated, mature movement behind him as does Lula in Brazil. This affects his ability to deliver.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 April 2003 06:43 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*peep* anyone got any updates for us South America watchers on babble?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca