babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » "You can lie, why can't we?" asks Nike

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: "You can lie, why can't we?" asks Nike
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 07 January 2003 11:41 AM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh dear:

Now Corporations Claim The "Right To Lie"

"New Nike Air Jordans can cure heart disease, cancer, and will make you smell better too. All for the low, low price of $19.99!"

Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 07 January 2003 12:01 PM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The absurdity of endowing corporations with the rights of individuals.

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: JimmyBrogan ]

From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 January 2003 12:02 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow. That's unbelievable. How can they compare false advertising claims to normal speech between individuals? When I tell someone, "I'll call you" and I don't, big deal. When a corporation tells me, "This $150 whatchamathingy will cure all your diseases!" then I'm out $150, as well as possibly even having health problems due to not seeking proper medical attention.

In any case, I defy you to find a pair of Nikes for $19.99!

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 07 January 2003 11:39 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
American capitalists restorting to lies to protect their profits....I'm SHOCKED!!
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 07 January 2003 11:42 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Excuse me while I puke.
Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 07 January 2003 11:58 PM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll look FWD to following this case - it could have repercussions for corporations all over the US, and hopefully multi-national ones too. I'd like to know how I can support the lone human...it seems like he's going against a corporate chimera...
From: Outside of the box | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 11 January 2003 09:49 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Supreme Court takes the case:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/11/politics/11SCOT.html

Unfortunately, I think Nike will win.

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 11 January 2003 01:03 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*big sigh* I agree with you Jeff, I'm suspicious they'll win too. And so how long will it be until we see the reprecussions in Canada? Not long.
mandrake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3127

posted 11 January 2003 07:11 PM      Profile for mandrake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The absurdity of endowing corporations with the rights of individuals.

If they wish to claim those rights, then they must also take on the responsibilities that go with them. Tobacco executives could then be individually sued or prosecuted for every person who has died or become sick from their product. The same thing would apply to every corporate executive or board member whose company was found to have contributed to harming any individual.

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 13 January 2003 01:02 AM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll believe that corporations are persons under the law when the death penalty is enacted on Enron in Texas....
Adam Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3034

posted 13 January 2003 07:43 AM      Profile for Adam Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is one execution I would be gald to see. And would be quite willing to act as executioner for.
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 13 January 2003 01:11 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If they wish to claim those rights, then they must also take on the responsibilities that go with them. Tobacco executives could then be individually sued or prosecuted for every person who has died or become sick from their product. The same thing would apply to every corporate executive or board member whose company was found to have contributed to harming any individual.
Actually, I think part of the development of giving the corporations the same rights as individuals is that it protects the actual individuals in the corporations who make the decisions; i.e., CEO's et al. Make sense? Not the idea so much as the logic of my explanation.

feerit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3293

posted 13 January 2003 11:49 PM      Profile for feerit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One really sad thing about the whole "Corporations as Citizens" crap is that the original court case in California back in the 1880's or 90's never even decided that corporations had equal status as citizens under the law. The court reporter was just some pro-corporate guy, and decided to annotate the top of the judges ruling (which actually wasnt a victory for the Railroad in question) that Corporations and Citizens were viewed as equals, and then the court system in later cases just affirmed and noted back to that case. Worst mistake in US legal history!

Next we'll be seeing ads from say Monsanto about how they've fully tested GMO food seeds and they're safe. Nevermind that they never actually have done so, they can lie after all!

Hopefully the Surpeme Court has one teeny little shred of decency remaining and won't agree with Nike on this. But I'm sure they will, not wanting to "deny the human rights and constitutional freedoms of citizens, corporations included". BAH

From: Outside of Atlanta, otherwise known as loonyland | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 28 June 2003 09:36 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Court Won't Rule on Corporate Free Speech
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 28 June 2003 02:03 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
One really sad thing about the whole "Corporations as Citizens" crap

I don't think the deepest part of the problem can be met by saying corporations are not citizens. Obviously, that is a legal fiction.

But what if Bob Smith, President of Nike, says that Nike shoes cure cancer? And what if he puts it on the airwaves?

I give that example because I think people have to bite the bullet and accept that some speech must be unlawful; people accept this for libel and slander, for shouting fire in a crowded theatre, and (some people accept it) for racial hatred. To me, it is commercial speech as a whole which can be regulated more strictly than
political speech, artistic speech, or scientific speech.

beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 28 June 2003 02:23 PM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Bush administration also entered the case on Nike's side, saying the California law wrongly gave plaintiffs like Mr. Kasky an opening "to advance their own agendas" while interfering with what should be the government's work in fighting deceptive advertising.

I guess it's not too surprising that the Bush Administration would defend a corporation's right to lie. Especially after their own highly successful campaign of "deceptive advertising" leading up to the war on Iraq.

More disappointing to a lot of people was the ACLU's decision to back Nike's "freedom of speech". Apparently they've bought the "legal fiction" that corporations are individuals and should be protected just like flesh'n'blood humans.

I wonder what the ACLU'll have to say now? (Nothing on their website yet.)

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ReeferMadness
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2743

posted 28 June 2003 03:18 PM      Profile for ReeferMadness     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
By dismissing the case, the high court put off any further examination of the sometimes blurry line between commercial and noncommercial speech. This might be difficult to define, justices had hinted during the April hearing. None of the Nike statements challenged by Mr. Kasky "were advertising in the true sense," Justice Sandra Day O'Connor said then.

Corporations are commercial entities and everything they do is commerical in nature. The US Supreme Court dodged the bullet for now but this isn't even close to over.

And I'm really disappointed in the ACLU.

From: Way out there | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca