FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Rise in anti-Semitism

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Rise in anti-Semitism
DJStealth
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3309

posted 03 December 2002 04:26 PM      Profile for DJStealth     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
These countries who ban kosher animal slaughter are completely misguided. They obviously completely ignore the fact that one of the major points of kosher animal slaughter is that the animal must feel no pain; it is definitely more humane than non-kosher slaughter.

In any case, I personally don't eat meat, but I find it disgusting that these countries can do so much to increase anti-Semitism.

quote:
Tuesday, December 3, 2002
------------------------------------------------------------------
Europe's new face
of anti-Semitism

------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: December 3, 2002
1:00 a.m. Eastern

One of the first steps in Adolf Hitler's anti-Semitic drive in the creation of his Third Reich was instituting a ban on the kosher slaughter of animals.
Today, as a new wave of ugly, and sometimes violent, anti-Semitism sweeps through the European continent, at least five countries have banned kosher food production, and one of them is considering halting all import of kosher meat.

For the rest of the article.. see this link

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: DJStealth ]

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 03 December 2002 04:30 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[Off topic]
You do of course realize that you've just posted the entire article including the copyright symbol. Regardless of our personal opinions concerning intellectual property, it would be considerate to our hosts if you would post a link, and a short enough quotation from the article to qualify as fair use.
[/Off topic]

Edit: spelling

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: Slim ]

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
sheep
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2119

posted 03 December 2002 04:38 PM      Profile for sheep     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if any of these countries have banned Halal slaughter as well.

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: sheep ]

Kindred
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3285

posted 03 December 2002 04:43 PM      Profile for Kindred     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought someone posted not too long ago that it was ironic that Germany was being so outspoken about having to go into the Middle East to protect Jews and Jewish territory? Sometimes watching the news and reading the reports on the internet I feel like I fell down a rabbit hole.
From: British Columbia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 03 December 2002 05:09 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Slim while you are quite correct, my legal friends tell me that even a link now a days as we do here on Babble may be an infringement of copywrite without the express permission of the author or publisher. I am told that the NY Times has actually begun an action which will define the law and it looks very much like we may all no longer be able to use links. Some lawyers are presently advising clients not to allow their boards to use links without permission Keep you posted on this .
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 03 December 2002 05:13 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mishei, please do keep us informed. I'd like more information about this.
From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DJStealth
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3309

posted 03 December 2002 05:18 PM      Profile for DJStealth     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The *LINK*

If for copyright reasons this link and/or the article has to be removed by the moderator, so be it. Meanwhile, it's here incase anyone's interested.

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 03 December 2002 05:24 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The NYTimes, an online advertising medium par excellence, doesn't want traffic directed to their site? Baby AND bathwater, over the side.
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 03 December 2002 05:43 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ron as I understand it, directing traffic to the site itself seems OK. What you cannot do allegedly is direct link to an article. Ill be damned if I know why??
satana
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2798

posted 03 December 2002 05:48 PM      Profile for satana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
FYI, kosher animal slaughter is the same as halal animal slaughter. A ban on one affects both Jews and Moslems. You'de be amazed how much these two peoples have in common.
DJStealth
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3309

posted 03 December 2002 05:52 PM      Profile for DJStealth     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, Halal is very similar to Kosher slaughter. My understanding is that Kosher is a little more strict.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 December 2002 06:12 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
"They simply don't want foreigners and they don't want Jews," said Rabbi Michael Melchior, former chief rabbi of Norway, another European nation that bans kosher meat production. "I won't say this is the only motivation, but it's certainly no coincidence that one of the first things Nazi Germany forbade was kosher slaughter.

I am horrified, absolutely horrified, at this comparison to the Nazis. I call for everyone on this board to denounce these terrible words.

BTW, DJStealth, babble is quite clear about their copyright policy - you are not allowed to reproduce a copyrighted article in its entirety. You are only allowed to provide the link and perhaps a paragraph or two of the text. The rule is explicitly stated in babble's user policy. The moderator shouldn't have to follow you around cleaning your posts up - it's your responsibility to do it yourself once you've had a problem brought to your attention.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 03 December 2002 06:31 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Michelle, while I wouldn't have used Rabbi Melchior's analogy, it is the constant comparision of Jews/Israelis to Nazis that is obscene. I don't think there is a need too draw a picture here. That said, I do not condone the use of nazi comparisions to anything other than nazis. It has always been my position that if everything is "Nazi-like" then nothing is nazi-like. It minimizes the horrors of nazism which was total evil. That is my position and I have been consistant throughout.

I just don't know why you feel you have to poke fun at this particular position of mine. I hold it for passionately personal reasons and I would prefer you critique it with dignity given those circumstances. Thank you for what I hope will be your understanding.

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 03 December 2002 06:51 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She feels the need to do it because she is anti Semetic.

I had a link here on how to spot anti-Semetism but I've lost it. Can you help me out?

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 03 December 2002 06:54 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
She feels the need to do it because she is anti Semetic.
That was an asinine comment to make. I dont think you have any idea what I was referring to. Thankfully you don't speak for Michelle.

DJStealth
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3309

posted 03 December 2002 07:01 PM      Profile for DJStealth     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I replaced most of the article with a link..
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 03 December 2002 07:05 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mishie. But you needn't flatter me.
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 03 December 2002 07:52 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks Mishie. But you needn't flatter me.
I appreciate your apology

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca