babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Canada adds Hamas to terror list

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Canada adds Hamas to terror list
CyberNomad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2926

posted 27 November 2002 05:58 PM      Profile for CyberNomad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TorStar report.
It's about time!

From: St. Catharines ON | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 27 November 2002 06:00 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am still waiting for Hizbollah to make the list.
Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 27 November 2002 06:46 PM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm waiting for the CIA and the IMF.
From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 27 November 2002 09:20 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to add the World Bank and George Soros, and the BIS while we're at it.

Why George Soros? He's a hypocrite. He got rich screwing around with exchange rates, and now he writes books about how sorry he is. Well if he was really sorry he'd give all the money back.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 27 November 2002 10:18 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So for the record Doc, do you believe that Hezbollah is a terrorist organization?
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 27 November 2002 10:48 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That has to be the stupidest question I ever got asked in some time.

[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CyberNomad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2926

posted 27 November 2002 10:56 PM      Profile for CyberNomad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mishei, Hisbullah is not a terrorist organisation ... it is an honoured brotherhood of Israel-focused freedom-fighters seeking martyrdom (as if you didn't know).
From: St. Catharines ON | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 27 November 2002 10:58 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doc, indulge me, answer my stupid question
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 27 November 2002 11:03 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, since you need to be told the blindingly obvious, since Hezbollah has, IIRC, used rocket launchers against IDF targets and is not a foreign government, it's obviously a terrorist organization.

Would you like me to start reviewing basic algebra concepts next? Retread some more obvious things for fun?

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 27 November 2002 11:04 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No thanks...hate algebra
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 27 November 2002 11:05 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well then Captain Obvious, perhaps we can review the basic property of the integral as the limit of a continuous sum.
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 27 November 2002 11:39 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mishei, Hisbullah is not a terrorist organisation ... it is an honoured brotherhood of Israel-focused freedom-fighters seeking martyrdom (as if you didn't know).

It is a party in the sovereign state of Lebanon. It has members elected to government there. Its members are a deomcratically elected as Sharon and Perez. Or can we now start calling Sharon a terrorist, despite the fact that he is a democratically elected head-of-state?

Add him to your list too, the dead of Sabra and Shatila will thank you.

As for Hizbollah's military activities, anyone should know by now that Hizbollah's main bone of contention with Israel, the occupation of southern Lebanon by the IDF has disappeared, likewise so have attacks against Israel for the most part.

A lesson to be learned for those who think the occupation of the WB will end the violence.

[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: Moredreads ]

pericles
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3403

posted 29 November 2002 08:34 AM      Profile for pericles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pericles says:

When one takes Syria into consideration, Lebanon doesn't really look "sovereign" at all.

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 29 November 2002 09:10 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hizballah is one of the world's most notorious terrorist factions. Its murderous swath of evil has been felt across the middle east. You can drown in its trail of blood. Anyone who defends these terrorists should be ashamed.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 29 November 2002 09:17 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agreed. So too should anyone who defends Sharon and his trail of blood.
satana
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2798

posted 29 November 2002 01:05 PM      Profile for satana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Canadian list seems to be part of an anti-Islamic act than anti-terrorism, without Israel and its supporters on the list.

[ November 29, 2002: Message edited by: satana ]

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 29 November 2002 01:09 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hizballah...

Never seen that spelling before, can't be that notorious if you can't spell it.

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 29 November 2002 01:27 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hizballah...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never seen that spelling before, can't be that notorious if you can't spell it.

On Babble it is considered in poor taste to attack the spelling in a post.

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 29 November 2002 01:28 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Hezbollah the group that convinced Israel to "give back" southern Lebanon?

Don't think of them as terrorists, think of them as trading partners.

From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 29 November 2002 01:40 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wasn't Hezbollah the group that convinced Israel to "give back" southern Lebanon?
Don't think of them as terrorists, think of them as trading partners.

Sure Arch, tell that to the thousands of children who are left without parents as a result of their murderous rampages. Tell that to the parents of the children they have murdered.

Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 29 November 2002 03:48 PM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Question: is Sinn Fein banned in Canada?
From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
DJStealth
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3309

posted 29 November 2002 04:21 PM      Profile for DJStealth     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Take a look at the new threat I just posted..
The Canadian Gov't is being sued for not putting Hizbollah on their terror list. I recommend continuing discussion there.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 29 November 2002 04:46 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why didn't you just post it in this thread if you thought it was relevant to this discussion? And if it's a new topic for discussion then why should we continue this current discussion there?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pericles
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3403

posted 30 November 2002 04:17 PM      Profile for pericles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In response to Flowers By Irene's question, Pericles says:

I highly doubt Sinn Fein is a banned group in Canada; as they aid and abet terrorism, they should be, but persistence of vision is not something that can routinely be expected of the Federal Liberals when it comes to matters of national security.

Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 30 November 2002 04:53 PM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sinn Fein, unless I missed hearing, is not banned. That is my point. While they are linked to the IRA, which, again unless I missed something, are banned. The distinction is this - Sinn Fein is the political wing of the IRA. The reasoning here is that if you allow political expression, even of a group you wholeheartedly disagree with, there is much less incentive for violence as the mode of expression. Hizballah's (or Hezballah, the spelling is as important as Usama/Osama - a difference of transliteration) military wing is banned in Canada. But they also have a political wing, and we should not be undermining the use of politics to settle differences.

Though, if the military and political wings are, or become indistinguishable (which may now be the case with Hezballah, I'm not an expert or anything) then banning the whole group makes sense. I just hope the decision is made on the basis of evidence, not rhetoric.

From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
pericles
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3403

posted 30 November 2002 05:57 PM      Profile for pericles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pericles says:

I guess it's a matter of my perspective then. I never believe that the "political" wing and the military wing of terrorist organizations are only casually linked. The political wing would likely informed in advance of the actions of the operatives so as to allow them to successfully spin the action; this much is dictated by necessity. The military wing would also likely receive timely information from the political wing as to when attacks should be scheduled so as to be synchronous with political developments. They are entities whose purpose is to accomplish a singular goal; they represent diferent spheres of strategy in the same conflagration, and as such can be expected to realize the signfigance of the other in achieving their common end. In their collusion, each accepts the methods of their counterpart; as such they are equally terrorist organizations, and they should not be given safe harbor in third-party countries.

If one accepts my reasoning that the two groups are inexorably linked, encouraging one of them to set up shop also encourages the creation of local operations wings. Fundraising is provided through both legitimate means and crime; people with guns are provided to manage the crime and act as small, forward operations units of the terrorist enterprise, intended, however improbably, to act if needed. Why can political means to resolve a dispute not be undertaken in the locality in which the dispute occurs? I can understand hosting peace talks or other negotiatoons, but allowing potentially tainted political groups allied with violent organizations to operate within a western society is, in my opinion, asking for trouble.

radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 02 December 2002 03:01 AM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's the problem when you establish "lists" of who's a terrorist and who's not. Terrorism is in the eye of the beholder.

Some (including a certain Canadian Alliance Party member) considered the African National Congress to be terrorists. Today the ANC is the governing party in South Africa and its former leader Nelson Mandela an international hero.

The Reagan Administration considered the Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front (FMLN) in El Salvador to be terrorists during the 1980's. Today they are the main parliamentary opposition party in that country.

Many armed political movements do make a successful transition to peaceful political activity given the right circumstances.

Sinn Fein/IRA has been going through this transition over the last few years. They're not quite there yet and its a very slow process but it is clear that they are moving in that direction.

As for the armed political movements in the Middle East, I'm sure that some are going through this transition too.

From: a Micro$oft-free computer | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 04 December 2002 11:13 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now Hizbollah is calling for terrorist attacks world wide:

Washington Times

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 04 December 2002 11:22 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Consider the source:

Ronald Reagan Rocks

From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 04 December 2002 11:24 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Everyone is planning to kill everyone. What a fucked up world.

You know, mishei, there is a movement among the hardliners in the Bush administration to declare Islam as evil. Those behind the push are either real politik hawks or christian fundamentalists. And they want the same thing as Osama bin Laden: a war of civilizations. I suspect if the sentiments contained within yor link are accurate, it is just more fule for the fire.

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 04 December 2002 12:17 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wing on this we can agree. Islam as evil is as pernicious as anything I can think of and terribly dangerous as well. Let's hope saner heads prevail.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca