FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Innu Nation & human rights

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Innu Nation & human rights
swallow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2659

posted 26 November 2002 04:25 PM      Profile for swallow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not much in the papers about this, but the Canadian Human Rights Commission gives mized marks to Ottawa on its implementation of recommendations to accord the Innu Nation of Ntesinan (Labrador) their basic human rights.

More on the Innu

Land stolen, herded into specially built and unblivable settlements, land used to test NATO jets, soon to be utterly warped by Inco mining projects. And still sef-government talks are stalled. This is colonialism, right?

From: fast-tracked for excommunication | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 26 November 2002 05:01 PM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, indeed we have a long, sad history of ignoring, trivializing and lying to native peoples in this country.

It's pretty sad when the South African aparthied regime looked at our reservation system as a model for marginalization.

From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
swallow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2659

posted 05 December 2002 02:15 PM      Profile for swallow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bumping this so Davis Inlet doesn't take over another thread completely...

New Innu settlement on mainland delayed; Innu split on move timing

Innu Nation President: Why I made peace with Bay Street

From: fast-tracked for excommunication | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 05 December 2002 07:00 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is truly depressing.

I had no idea it was this bad. Should I be surprised that I was not taught about this in school?

ben_al
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3427

posted 06 December 2002 09:39 AM      Profile for ben_al     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No don't be surprised that you didn't learn this in school. Most people didn't. I learned a little about it in history class, but that focused more on the past than the present. The world issues courese I took put more emphasis on what was happening in the rest of the world. The schools are run by the government (at least the ones I went to) so they don't talk about their own messes.
From: Kitchener, ON | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
hibachi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 956

posted 06 December 2002 09:44 AM      Profile for hibachi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One thing that Americans, Brits, Canadians, and Australians can agree on is that History is not a nice or polite subject.

The question is, how do we tell the little darlings they are descended from warlords, slavemasters and rumrunners?

From: Toronto, Ont. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca