FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Fried Green Tomatoes

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Fried Green Tomatoes
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 12 November 2002 12:27 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I figured I'd do a clockworkism with my topics and make 'em irreverent.

So anyway, check it.

quote:
Cancer-fighting tomatoes and bananas that protect against sexually transmitted diseases top the list of advancements being made in biotech food, according to Americans surveyed by an industry group.

The Council for Biotechnology Information said that a research program aimed at enhancing tomatoes with an antioxidant believed to help fight cancer was ranked as the leading biotech food development in 2002 by two-thirds of a group of 1,000 American adults surveyed.

I read this and I just said, "daaaaaaamn".

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 12 November 2002 12:48 AM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ir·rev·er·ent Pronunciation Key (-rvr-nt)
adj.
Lacking or exhibiting a lack of reverence; disrespectful.
Critical of what is generally accepted or respected; satirical: irreverent humor.

or

ir·rel·e·vant Pronunciation Key (-rl-vnt)
adj.
Unrelated to the matter being considered.

Just wondering if it was a typo. Sorry for sounding like the GRAMMAR POLICE. I'm trying to make it a habit to look up all words I don't know instead of guessing. Sorry bout the thread drift.

So is this just a PR move on behalf of BioTech companies?
It does seem like the debate has died down on GM foods. But the organic food industry appears to have been growing quite a bit lately.
I'll stick to a balanced diet, regular check ups and wearing protection.

From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 12 November 2002 01:02 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You should know me well enough to know that I don't screw up words like that, buddy.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 12 November 2002 01:13 AM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
XRCGuy's only got a 121 posts in over a year, Doc.

Unless...knowledge of your credentials extends well beyond this site.

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 12 November 2002 01:20 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Aw shucks fellas. Don't get started....

Hey xrcrguy. The commonly-used and accepted term around here is "Grammar Nazi" if you don't mind.

From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 12 November 2002 01:27 AM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Arch, let it be known that when I use the winker I do so to indicate a friendly ribbing.

This stuff scares the hell out of me, by the way, as I've become a healthnazi these last couple o' years.

Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 12 November 2002 02:03 AM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GM food producers oppose labels identifying their products as such, they say people view that label as meaning unsafe. Well, lets us consider for a moment the reality; most GM foods are untested - so we just don't know. Most probably are as safe as the unmodified version, yet the industry is resisting the very testing that could prove their case. That makes me think 'Hmmmm, I'll not buy that.'
From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 12 November 2002 09:49 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Basically, they're saying that we (the public) oughta shut up and accept what's good for us. A better tack for the GM producers would be to explain the supposed benefit to consumers of each new GM food (i.e. edumacate us), and then brightly label the product "made using Ma Brown's mutant canola seed".
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 November 2002 10:03 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't understand why they have to do this stuff to vegetables. It seems to me that the people who have the most to worry about when it comes to cancer and other illnesses like that are the ones who don't EAT vegetables anyhow.

People who eat lots of veggies and stuff that is good for you are generally the ones who are already getting enough anti-oxidants (or whatever that cancer-fighting stuff is called). How is enhancing veggies going to help people who don't eat veggies anyhow? There are already enough good things in veggies. We don't need more to be artificially put into them!

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 12 November 2002 10:37 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Inhanced hype.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca