babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Nuns Face 30 Years for Disarming Nuclear Weapon

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuns Face 30 Years for Disarming Nuclear Weapon
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 08 November 2002 12:35 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

At 7:30 am Sunday, October 6, remembering the anniversary of the U.S. bombing of Afghanistan, three women entered Minuteman III missile silo # N-8 in northern Colorado. Acting out Isaiah's prophesy, "they shall beat their swords into plowshares," Dominican sisters Carol Gilbert, Jackie Hudson and Ardeth Platte hammered on the concrete silo lid and the tracks that carry the lid to its firing position.

Wow!

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 08 November 2002 12:50 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow is right!! Agree or disagree you cannot help but admire the courage of their convictions these women have demonstrated.

Now if only the rest of the world can catch up to their vision we would all be a lot better off.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 November 2002 12:50 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An excellent summary, not only of the action but also of the history and current twists of the U.S. missile and arms-in-space programs.

Wow, indeed. One of these grils is a young 'un (54), but the others are all seniors.

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 08 November 2002 12:55 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bravo.

I do so wish Ann Coulter would write something about these seditious religious zealots.

From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 November 2002 01:05 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They are absolutely awesome!
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 09 November 2002 12:45 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It freaks me out that this didn't make the news, but we all know that Winona Ryder stole some stuff.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 09 November 2002 01:54 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wish there was an emoticon for "boggled beyond belief", but I guess this will have to do: :-S

Go nuns!

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 09 November 2002 10:22 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
It freaks me out that this didn't make the news, but we all know that Winona Ryder stole some stuff.

So why the hell don't things like this make the mainstream news ? A retorical question really, and one that belongs on another thread I suppose. But still...grrr.

These women are magnificent, as well as SO not like the nuns who taught me in grade school.

Edited to say that I really do know how to spell rhetorical. A mere lapse;....really...

[ November 09, 2002: Message edited by: oldgoat ]

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 10 November 2002 02:23 AM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An example set by members of the RC church we should all follow... finally. (sorry, reflexive pessimism re Catholocism)

If I had a nuclear missile silo within walking distance, or at least on a bus route, I'd do the same.

From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 10 November 2002 10:44 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's an eye-opener, isn't it, that a paper like the Grope would not consider this news. And I do wonder why. They cover other protests; and they cover the Catholic church. Put 'em together and what have you got? Bibbety-bobbety-boo, apparently.
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 11 November 2002 03:33 AM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now if you could get elderly nuns all over the country to do similar things to every available silo, that would be a political action not to be forgotten!

People would react very positively to such actions, I think, and it would be fun to see the army in overdrive trying to protect its thousands of silos from raging grannies. The courts would be in the uncomfortable position of trying dozens of elderly nuns and all at a time when religion is being shoved down everyone's throat.

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 11 November 2002 11:27 PM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The old nun in P.E.I. got 8 months for beating kids with a formidable looking paddle. What's the punishment going to be for beating the Military Industrial Complex about the buttocks?
From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca