FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » A Wise Old Byrd

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: A Wise Old Byrd
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 04 October 2002 11:23 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you care to take the time, I recommend the following speech made by Senator Byrd yesterday on the floor of the U.S. Senate:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B1D223102

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 04 October 2002 11:35 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks josh. He begins well; I've bookmarked him to read later.

That's the second invocation of the classics in talking about the upcoming war I've read in as many days. Lewis Lapham, in Harper's, compared the current bellicosity and jingoism to that evidenced in History of the Peleponnesian War, by Thucydides. Not available on-line, but worth grabbing from the newsstands.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 04 October 2002 11:45 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting.

Not every day a man who usually gets pilloried for pork-barrel politics make a good speech urging restraint.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ed Weatherbee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2844

posted 04 October 2002 12:23 PM      Profile for Ed Weatherbee        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or a former member and organizer for the Klu Klux Klan.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAbyrd.htm

...A strong opponent of African American civil rights Byrd was an advocate of the Ku Klux Klan. In 1946 Byrd announced that: "The Ku Klux Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth in West Virginia". ...

and

http://www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/03/04/byrd.slur/

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 04 October 2002 12:37 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes that's true. But what does that have to do with Iraq?

Hugo Black was a member of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s and went on to be one of the most liberal, and best, Supreme Court justices in American history.

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 04 October 2002 12:45 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with Josh on this. No U.S. Senator is without flaws, from Wellstone to Torricelli. (Some have a few more flaws than others, though.)

But bringing back quotes from 1946 rather than 1996 tells me that he may have changed over the last fifty years.

This kind of comment used to be made all the time about J.William Fulbright, who was a Senator and one of the most important critics of the war in Vietnam.

So pro-war people would change the subject to his civil rights record, which was indefensible. I considered it a silly debating tactic to try to discredit him on the war in that way, though.

[ October 04, 2002: Message edited by: jeff house ]

Ed Weatherbee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2844

posted 04 October 2002 12:49 PM      Profile for Ed Weatherbee        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone using the n word in 2002 hould have been retired by the voters decades ago whether you agree with his particlular stance on an issue or not.
Black's involvement in the Klan was a lot less public and involved than Byrd. He was also appointed to the Supreme Court 65 years ago and died over 30 years ago. And even then his involvement in the KKK came close to torpedoeing his appointment.

http://www.nisk.k12.ny.us/fdr/ideas/portfolio/vandersee/vandersee.html

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 04 October 2002 12:57 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not true. Black's involvement with the Klan was very public.

And give me a break! Jesse "Martin Luther Coon" Helms and Strom "Segregation Forever" Thurmond are still breathing in the Senate, and you're complaining about an offhand remark. I'll take one Robert Byrd to 100 Trent Lotts, who speak the same way Byrd does, but are slick enough to keep it private.

Ed Weatherbee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2844

posted 04 October 2002 05:44 PM      Profile for Ed Weatherbee        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you read my post, I said "less public", not closeted. Read the link if you have the time.
I'm glad that you're that close to Lott to know what he says in private.

...However, Black's affiliation with the Ku Klux Klan was ephemeral and
irrelevant to his political career. After becoming a member of the Klan on
September 13, 1923, he marched in a few parades and spoke in
meetings. His speeches were mainly on liberty, and he stressed to the
more belligerent members of the Klan that it should be a law-abiding
organization; thus, he emphasized, activities such as whipping should not
be tolerated...

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 04 October 2002 07:07 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we're done with the diversionary tactics, I hope that those who take the time to read the speech will appreciate what I consider to be its historic nature. Byrd may be the last person in Congress with a sense of a history in general, and of the the Constitution in particular.

In a better day sometime in the future, I hope a nation will look back at someone who stood for what's best in America, and appreciate his wisdom.

Ed Weatherbee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2844

posted 04 October 2002 11:39 PM      Profile for Ed Weatherbee        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wish Mr. Byrd had shown a little more wisdom in the early 1940's and throughout much of his carreer. Voted against Thurgood Marshall's appointment to the Supreme Court, opposed the integration of the Anerican armed forces and lots more. I wish he would join Strom at Walter Reed in retirement.
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 04 October 2002 11:54 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What you say about Byrd, Ed, could also have been said with equal or greater reason about Sam Ervin.

And that's exactly what Nixon and his clones did.

But the Watergate hearings were his finest hour nonetheless, and deserving of support, and honour.
Same for Byrd on Iraq.

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 05 October 2002 02:21 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Harper's essay 'lance mentioned:

The Road to Babylon

[ October 05, 2002: Message edited by: rasmus_raven ]

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca