FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Ontario tax increase

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Ontario tax increase
Richard Wright
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3126

posted 02 October 2002 12:01 AM      Profile for Richard Wright        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
According to Mondays Toronto Star (Mon Sept 30 pg A3)a new tax of $3.00 per tire has been added to new tire puchases in Ontario.
The story is unclear as to how the tax is being administered but it appears to be going to a private arm of the Rubber Association of Canada, a political lobby for the tire industry.
It is obviously a flat tax at $3.00 per rather than a fair tax representing a % of the tire value, protecting the rich from having to pay their fair share and dumping on middle and low income Ontarians.
Most amazing is the censorship of this story of one of Canada's leading tax cutters (treasurer) now Premiere Ernie Eves is raising taxes when he is denying money to health care and public education (private got a big tax break).
I saw the story in the Star http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar%2FUtilities%2FJavaSearch&searchstring=Ontario+plans+giant+tire+cleanup&SUBMIT.x=18&SUBMIT.y=6
Sorry I'm not good at computer stuff
I could not find it in the Globe the Post the Sun the CBC or CTV.
Why do I feel this is the sort of censorship the Chamber of Commerce plans to defeat Kyoto by dupmping the cost on the poor and leting the whealthy off the hook.
And why do I feel the mainstream media will support them
Richard Wright

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 02 October 2002 12:14 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, Richard, they must know how stupid we are. We already pay a $5 tax per tire to pay for recycling programs. But don't tale my word for it:
quote:
But in Ontario it's a different story. In 1989, the Liberal government there, under Premier David Petersen, made Canadian history by being the first province in the county to set up a tire-recycling program. They imposed a $5.00 tax per tire on all new automobile tires to finance it.

src: http://www.cbc.ca/disclosure/archives/020319_tires/tires.html

And now they are introducing a new tax to do the same thing. Absolutely, fucking, amazing.

Don't get me wrong, I would support a tax that actaully did some good. But if a $5 tax per tire isn't do the job how will an additional tax?

It is way past time for s regime change in Ontario.

P.S. Let's watch and see how the right wing papers spin this one. Who bets none of them even mention the existing $5 tax?

Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 02 October 2002 12:22 AM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What, we actually expect private enterprise to actually take their part of responsibility for environmental problems when we have perfectly good taxpayers to pick up the tab? How dare we.
From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 02 October 2002 12:22 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well... er, apparently you can blame Rae here too:

quote:
In 1993, then Premier Bob Rae bowed to public and political pressure and scrapped the tire tax altogether.

Scrap Tire Disposal in Canada

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 02 October 2002 12:43 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At least he abandoned a regressive tax.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 02 October 2002 12:46 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shh! You're not allowed to say good things about the Beezlbo, er, Bob Rae.

[edited: forgot a]

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: clockwork ]

TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 02 October 2002 12:56 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Conspicuously absent from all those articles was information on exactly HOW those tires are recycled.

My understanding is that when Baelzebub scrapped the tire tax, part of the figuring was that there was no truly environmentally friendly way to scrap tires.

Cement companies wanted to burn them as fuel, but people rejected this out of hand, and I don't blame them.

There was an idea to chop them up, remove the steel belts and use the rubber as a component for asphalt, but someone figured that with the new resurfacing techiques, the rubber would probably burn when such roads were reconditioned years later.

I don't have the latest info on tire recycling.

Is there a way to rid ourselves of these meddelsome latex products?

Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 02 October 2002 01:27 AM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Most asphalt in Ontario is about 5% or so recycled tires. Numerous studies have been done, and I believe that asphalt with rubber components lasts 10-20% longer than non rubberized. All the Asphalt layed in London in the past 10 years has at least 5% recycled rubber. (some I think up to 10%).
I don't have a cite, but I get this from a family friend who is also a former city council member.

From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 02 October 2002 01:34 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I took my son to a really nice park the other day, and I noticed that the asphalt-like surface that the jungle gym was built upon (and covered with sand) was slightly soft and spongy to the foot. I couldn't believe it. It was so cool. Just the slightest bit of give so that kids would fall on a much, MUCH softer ground than even sand or grass offers. And yet, firm enough under your feet that you don't feel like you're walking on pillows.

Mom and I speculated that it was made out of recycled tires.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ed Weatherbee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2844

posted 02 October 2002 12:02 PM      Profile for Ed Weatherbee        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember Rae opening a tire recycling plant on the waterfront in the late days of his premiership. It ground up the tires into small enough bits to separate the rubber and steel.
Whether the plant is still in operation, I don't know.
The whole West Nile virus thing has pushed the government into action. Old tire dumps are great mosquito breeding grounds.

Ed Weatherbee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2844

posted 02 October 2002 12:04 PM      Profile for Ed Weatherbee        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember Rae opening a tire recycling plant on the waterfront in the late days of his premiership. It ground up the tires into small enough bits to separate the rubber and steel.
Whether the plant is still in operation, I don't know.
The whole West Nile virus thing has pushed the government into action. Old tire dumps are great mosquito breeding grounds.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 02 October 2002 08:27 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't it make more sense to set a tax on non-recyclable items? I'd feel much better about paying a 5 cent tax on a one-off throw-away purchase than a completely re-usable and recyclable drink bottle (just to use one example).
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 02 October 2002 08:46 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's some tire recycling info

click

From: The only difference between graffiti & philosophy is the word fuck... | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 02 October 2002 09:42 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but you get the deposit back on the recyclable item.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 02 October 2002 11:51 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not in my fucked up province. You pay a 10 cent deposit and get 5 cents back. The rest is a regressive tax funding the recycling centres (at least I hope that's where the missing 5 cents goes). At least they don't charge sales tax on the deposit (yet).
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 03 October 2002 02:58 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you Earthmother.

It's in my mind that the chemical make up of tires, mostly the chemicals that are used to stabalize the synthetic rubber (mostly sulfphur, but there's a host of other things too) made it difficult to render tires benign.

A look at your site, plus a quick search on google doesn't seem to back up that impression.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 October 2002 09:50 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In my fucked up province, there ARE no bottle or can deposits anymore as far as I know (at least not for non-alcoholic stuff - I know that the In and Out still accepts beer bottles). You just throw them in the normal recycling.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 03 October 2002 10:17 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can throw them in the recycling here, too. The province was concerned that they were "losing income" as more and more jobless people started scavenging blue bags for deposit items. The province budgeted assuming some percentage of the deposits would never be claimed (probably 70%, although I have no way to confirm that number...it's a hunch). The province was briefly talking about making scavenging people's garbage and recyclables illegal. They were paying back more of the half-deposits than they had budgeted.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca