FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » The Torch Has Been Passed

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The Torch Has Been Passed
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 30 September 2002 07:03 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Torch has been extinguished! Democrats rejoice!

If you live in the U.S., or follow U.S. politics, you'll know what I mean.

The Torch is no more!

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 30 September 2002 07:17 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um......
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SHH
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1527

posted 30 September 2002 07:24 PM      Profile for SHH     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hurrah!
From: Ex-Silicon Valley to State Saguaro | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 30 September 2002 07:37 PM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Republicans said they would contest any effort to have a substitute candidate take his place, arguing that it is barred by state law so close to an election. According to GOP lawyers, the only exception acknowledged by a court has been in the case of the death of a nominee.

"This is a cynical attempt by party bosses to manipulate democracy," said Mitch Bainwol, executive director of the Senate GOP campaign committee.{italics mine}

Well, the Republicans would be the experts on this subject.

From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 30 September 2002 08:21 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
"This is a cynical attempt by party bosses to manipulate democracy,"

Right. And the Republican campaign to try to insure that no Democratic candidate stands for election in New Jersey is....?

SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 30 September 2002 09:33 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You never answered my question josh... what is the term for a Senator, Representative....?
From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 30 September 2002 09:50 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Demublicans...Replocrats...what's the diff?
From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 30 September 2002 09:51 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Senator: 6 years

House of Rep: 2 years

Source U.S. Constitution

SHH
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1527

posted 30 September 2002 09:58 PM      Profile for SHH     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is the term for Senator?
Well, um, that would depend on the Senator.

From: Ex-Silicon Valley to State Saguaro | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 30 September 2002 10:30 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't believe they think 5 weeks before an election is too soon. I think that's more than the amount of time in Canada between the dissolution of Parliament and the election. (Or am I thinking of something else? Seems to me we have ridiculously short election campaigns here in Canada these days.)
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 30 September 2002 10:32 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sam, I must have missed your question somewhere down the line.

Arch, there's a significant difference on most domestic issues.

As for what happens now, that is unclear. While the Dems. are petitioning to replace Torch, the person should be chosen in the next 48 hours, it is not clear under New Jersey law that they will be able to replace him on the ballot. That raises the "dead man walking" possibility. Torch's name could remain on the ballot, with people told that a vote for Torch will be a vote for candidate X. But then Torch would have to resign after he was "re-elected." That might call for a special election within months, or perhaps not for two years. Or Torch may then choose to resign right away, with the Democratic Governor naming his replacement, who will then run in November. But that may also necessitate a special election.

Ugh. I'll stop now because I'm giving myself a headache.

[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: josh ]

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 30 September 2002 11:12 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought he was elected in 2000. I remember being in NJ at the time, and reading about his obscene campaign spending... could my recent head injury have cause some damage...?
From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 01 October 2002 07:24 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, that was Jon Corzine.
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 04 October 2002 04:58 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Torching the Torch:

http://www.ariannaonline.com/columns/files/100102.html

By the way, today the county executive of New Jersey's largest county, Essex County (where Tony Soprano lives), who was slated to be the Torch's opponent, entered into a plea bargain with the feds to avoid prosecution on corruption charges. Earlier this year, the county executive of another of New Jersey's largest county's, Hudson County (where the Soprano gang likes to hang out), resigned and dropped out of sight, only to resurface this week to enter into a plea bargain with the feds on corruption charges.

Also within the last year, the mayors of two of New Jersey's largest cities, Camden and Paterson ("in Paterson, that's just the way things go. . . That's the story of the Hurricaine. The man the authorities came to blame") were convicted on corruption charges.

New Jersey's proud history of corruption continues.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca