babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Yeah, but I can actually enjoy my extra five years

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeah, but I can actually enjoy my extra five years
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 September 2002 02:08 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
A report released yesterday by Statistics Canada found that the difference in lifespan between low-income and high-income Canadians has declined significantly since 1971.

That was the year universal medicare -- making quality health care available to all Canadians regardless of income -- was put in place across the country.

In 1971, men in the richest neighbourhoods had a life expectancy that was 6.3 years higher than men living in the country's poorest neighbourhoods. By 1996, the gap had shrunk to five years.

Births decline again; poor are living longer

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 28 September 2002 11:01 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And in 2028, watch the gap revert to the 1971 level.

NAFTA could hike health expenses

quote:
"We could permanently break the system," Mike McBane of the Canadian Health Coalition said. "These experiments could be irreversible. It could be impossible to bring the services back into the public system."

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 28 September 2002 04:50 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the vien of the previous post:

NDP hopeful slams for-profit clinic

quote:
Federal New Democrat leadership hopeful Jack Layton is calling on Health Minister Anne McLellan to outlaw a new private, for-profit clinic in Calgary that has been approved to perform surgeries requiring overnight stays.

Calling the privately-run Health Resource Centre a precursor to the destruction of public medicare, the Toronto city councillor said if the clinic doesn't contravene the Canada Health Act, the law should be rewritten.

peripatetic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1957

posted 28 September 2002 09:00 PM      Profile for peripatetic        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The NDP has supported private for-profit clinics in Canada for many years, as long as they provide abortions. The many private abortion clinics in Canada must be more of a threat to medicare than a single orthopedic clinic in Calgary, considering the long waiting lists for surgery in Canada.
From: hogtown-on-don | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 28 September 2002 10:57 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Am I supposed to weigh this as a serious response? Must I repost my links again?

Browse this Look over the graphs (mind you, the data is a bit dated). Before you target one particular graph, assess them all. And, if you're curious, take into consideration life expectancy in each of the countries compared.

And, er, I admit, I'm a little daft. I can't for the life of me figure out why the NDP might "support" private abortion clinics, given the politics behind abortion and the fact that, well, Charter decisions on abortion are just over a decade old and, apparently, there is still some controversy of the use of abortions and the law.

But, sure, I guess, you got me. You flushed my arguments out like a, well, you can use your imagination here and finish the sentence. The NDP supports private health care.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 28 September 2002 11:00 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
peripatetic, you should look up the concept of elective medical procedures. Our single-payer system does not demand that there be NO private services whatsoever. What it DOES demand is that wherever the government insures a service, that no private provider of that service is permitted to operate that service outside the single-payer system.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
peripatetic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1957

posted 29 September 2002 04:06 PM      Profile for peripatetic        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
“Doc,” I’ve known three Conways who were doctors, but they earned their MDs and PhD in university.

Restrictions on private-sector provision of medical services arose primarily from Mulroney’s Canada Health Act of 1984, and were not part of the Canadian single-payer health care system until that time. No other nation has similar prohibitions.

Cosmetic surgery is readily available in Canada without lengthy waiting lists, since the Canada Health Act does not regulate the private sector supply of face-lifts. Abortions can be quickly arranged since government has chosen to adequately fund this service through privately owned clinics as well as hospitals. If only politicians and bureaucrats were as concerned about speedy availability of heart surgery or cancer treatment!

Private clinics are allowed for people not covered by the 1984 Act, such as Workers’ Comp claimants, the military, RCMP, and federal prisoners. Federal politicians have provided themselves with a well-appointed private clinic in Ottawa at taxpayer expense. Professional athletes also have access to private clinics. No waits for CAT scans or MRIs for them. Other Canadians should be able to access private clinics, and clinics should be free to operate, as they can outside Canada.

abnormal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1245

posted 29 September 2002 07:03 PM      Profile for abnormal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hate to tell you this but anyone with "unlimited funds" dpesn't have to wait or worry about government reimbursement. First of all, if you don't care about cost you simply leave Canada for treatment. Alternatively, if you want treatment in Canada you tell the hospital that you live outside of Canada and, rather than having them bill your insurer you will personally pay and seek reimbursement after the fact from your carrier.
From: far, far away | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 30 September 2002 08:44 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd ignore peripathetic (you asked for that one with your ignorant "Dr" remark). He's obviously not reading what's being said.

It would be wise to do likewise, abnormal.

peripatetic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1957

posted 30 September 2002 12:25 PM      Profile for peripatetic        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oooh, a hissy fit!! Just for that I'm going into ignore mode too.
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 30 September 2002 12:32 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good stuff. I couldn't ask for anything more. But then, I'm an ugly person, so maybe I should implore OHIP to cover a nice facelift for me. I'm sure, sine it's elective surgery, that they will say no, so then I'll pay through my big, fat nose for it. But at least I won't have to suffer the extra time on the waiting list. I mean, I've suffered for 26 years. That extra month means a lot to me!
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 30 September 2002 12:32 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are plenty of private clinics for you pp. Just head south. See ya. Bye. Ba-bye.
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 30 September 2002 12:36 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Private clinics are allowed for people not covered by the 1984 Act, such as Workers’ Comp claimants, the military, RCMP, and federal prisoners.

Federal prisoners? They go to private clinics? That's a laugh. I don't know how many Babblers have ever tried to get medical care for someone in a Federal prison, but I can tell you I wouldn't recommend their medical care to a dog.

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 30 September 2002 12:46 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Psst, peripatetic: I didn't get the "DrConway" reference either, but since DrC hasn't piped up yet in his defense, I suggest googleing the terms "Dr Conway" and "Asimov". I mean, I originally thought, maybe, it was a reference to the guy who invented the Game of Life, but that was a stretch.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 30 September 2002 12:50 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't think it was worth bothering to point out to numbskull over there that my handle is derived from an Asimov novel and is not indicative of my academic credentials.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 30 September 2002 12:52 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, jeff: I concur about the medical care given to prisoners. Just from reading that book about Donald Marshall gave me the heebie-jeebies about prison doctors. He busted his arm three times in 11 years and the second time the doctor didn't set it properly and didn't even care.
peripatetic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1957

posted 30 September 2002 05:39 PM      Profile for peripatetic        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doc, you’ve got me! I admit to a lack of familiarity with the Trekkie canon.

Evidently the medical care provided by salaried government doctors leaves much to be desired. I’m disappointed, but not surprised.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 30 September 2002 05:49 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Evidently the medical care provided by salaried government doctors leaves much to be desired. I’m disappointed, but not surprised.

"Evidently" is misplaced there, peripatetic. Doesn't follow at all from the treatment accorded prisoners.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 30 September 2002 06:49 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I admit to a lack of familiarity with the Trekkie canon.

*cough* *cough*

He thinks Asimov = trekkie

*cough* *cough*

Someone needs the Foundation and Robot books foisted upon him, and quick-like!

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 30 September 2002 06:54 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Calm yourself, Sarcasmobri. Deep breaths, a glass of water perhaps (not at the same time). To all other evidence in this thread, your friend and mine is trolling. I'm sorry I fell for it.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 30 September 2002 07:04 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Perhaps. My outrage is barely containable, though. I'm going to act like what's-is-name-puppet-master-guy on the other threads and demand that pp renounce his Trekkie statement. I may just jump up and down and complain that all babblers must think Asimov created Star Trek unless they unequivocally state otherwise.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca