FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Add your own caption

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Add your own caption
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 24 September 2002 03:19 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To the picture in the link below.

http://www.dailykos.com/archives/000291.html#000291

"Is our children learning?"

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 24 September 2002 03:33 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"I'm the president of the United States, missy. I think I know how to hold a picture book. Now hold it like this or get ready for a trip to Cuba."
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 September 2002 03:38 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, you guys, thank you -- this isn't my caption; I'll try to come back with one -- but I am not gonna stop laughing all day. Look at the expression on his face ...
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 24 September 2002 04:52 PM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In what would become known as a great day in science, the President of the USA finds a low cost cure for dyslexia.
From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 24 September 2002 05:01 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Miss Hoover, my book looks funny."
"Now,George..Suzy, show Georgie how to hold his book."

dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 983

posted 24 September 2002 05:50 PM      Profile for dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"She hasn't figured it out yet, but when you read it this way it says 'Bin Laden is dead'."
From: pleasant, unemotional conversation aids digestion | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 24 September 2002 06:04 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Now look here, missy. If'n ya read the book backwards it says "Jesse Jackson is Satan."
From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 September 2002 06:06 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A dee sighting! A dee sighting!

"Are you sure it's spelled that way? Dan Quayle says it needs an e. p-o-t-a-t-o-e. OK?"

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 24 September 2002 06:22 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Gee, in my book it says all them injuns was grateful for us teaching 'em all how to be civilized."
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 September 2002 08:05 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Whaddya mean, I can't read it this way? Pictures is pictures, ain't they?"
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 24 September 2002 08:37 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Well jeeze, this writing's all squiggly. And the kid can read it?!! Christ, I bet she's wonna them..."
From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 24 September 2002 10:12 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"How come she's reading so good? Ah cain't figger it out!"
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 24 September 2002 10:29 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"I thought they only did that with the Canadian flag."

"I didn't know Nagasaki was the start of WWII."

"Why do I feel like I'm in a Cabinet meeting right now?"

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 24 September 2002 10:58 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Forget this stupid book. What are you doing after school?"
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 24 September 2002 11:31 PM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"See that guy dressed all in black with that thingy in his ear over there? He's Secret Service. Call him over here. I think this book is written in Arabic. It could be a clue 'bout dem terrorists..."
From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 25 September 2002 07:50 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Is this how the Hebrews read?"
janew
webmistress
Babbler # 199

posted 25 September 2002 08:11 AM      Profile for janew     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Ah...now she's on the right track....I love teaching children"

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 25 September 2002 08:13 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
teehee! I didn't realise the kid had the book upside-down. I was too focused on chimpy-boy.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
janew
webmistress
Babbler # 199

posted 25 September 2002 08:19 AM      Profile for janew     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oops...sorry to confuse.
The original that the captions refer to is

The other is just my take on it :-)

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 25 September 2002 12:08 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"See, it looks like a hospital this way, but turn it around and you've got a weapons factory."
Pat
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2064

posted 25 September 2002 01:47 PM      Profile for Pat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"I was a "D" student and look where it got me."
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 25 September 2002 01:52 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"See, the crease funnels powder much better if you hold it this way. Donnie, where'd I put my straw?"
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 25 September 2002 01:55 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Have a seat Juanita."

"Four legs good, two legs bad."

flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 25 September 2002 01:59 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Some of our Blacklodge brothers are even publishers and printers. They imbed any new messages from our Lizard King in these 'pitchers' but ya gotta turn 'em upside right to see 'em."
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 27 September 2002 02:00 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Was it all an urban legend?:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bushbook.htm

Who cares? "When the legend becomes fact . . . "

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 27 September 2002 02:03 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Damn snopeses spoil more good stories... It's still funny, though. Not a bad prank at all.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 September 2002 02:05 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't let facts get in the way of this one. The picture is still funny as hell.
quelar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2739

posted 27 September 2002 03:22 PM      Profile for quelar     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Funny aside, it's believable, that's what the best part about it is.

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: quelar ]

From: In Dig Nation | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sisyphus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1425

posted 27 September 2002 03:29 PM      Profile for Sisyphus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
In what would become known as a great day in science, the President of the USA finds a low cost cure for dyslexia.

This one's great, FBI!!! I just wanted to see it again !

From: Never Never Land | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ed Weatherbee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2844

posted 27 September 2002 03:51 PM      Profile for Ed Weatherbee        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Terrible, if the truth ever interfered with self-righteous smugness of a lot of the posters here.
The same lot that would be screaming to high heaven about the Bush adminsitration spin doctoring the news.
I'm reallly glad that none of you or your children have ever had any learning disability problems like dyslexia. You wouldn't be so quick to make fun of people with such problems.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 September 2002 03:56 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed, take a rest.

The posters here, unlike the president, are mostly educated and have no capability to wage war.
As well, primetime TV derives much more fun from dylexia then has anyone here.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 27 September 2002 03:59 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Terrible, if the truth ever interfered with self-righteous smugness of a lot of the posters here.

I think Ed's trying to be ironic.

Sisyphus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1425

posted 27 September 2002 04:11 PM      Profile for Sisyphus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gee, I don't think I could be happy if I let the truth interfere with my self righteous smugness . I am glad, however, that President Bush has people around to protect his wittle self fwom mean old babbwers .
From: Never Never Land | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 September 2002 04:13 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You never heard of joke, Ed? Don't you ever laugh? Never seen a doctored picture? Never laughed at a false but funny lawyer joke (sorry jeff h.)?

Just because you don't let us in on what you consider funny is no reason to rain on our parade.

And so Bush might have a disability (I believe he has denied this). Big whoop. Does that mean he's some sort of God? A friend of mine has dyslexia. The jackass got unlimited time to write his exams, still flunked university, now works at IBM and even managed to fire his boss. IBM then told him to go back to university on the company dime. I'm almost envious.

If Bush is dyslexic, you gotta realize he is still one of the most powerful men in the free world.

I fail to see why you should be so righteous on this one.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 27 September 2002 04:17 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If Bush is dyslexic, you gotta realize he is still one of the most powerful men in the free world.

What concerns me is not the possibility that he's dyslexic. It's that he seems to read maybe one book per year.

paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 27 September 2002 04:22 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm reallly glad that none of you or your children have ever had any learning disability problems like dyslexia. You wouldn't be so quick to make fun of people with such problems.

I don't think Ed is simply trying to be righteous. Ed, do you or one of your children have a learning disability? If so, I can appreciate the challenges. One of my favourite work colleagues and one of my best friends have strugged with dyslexia and I've seen how tough it has been for them. Having struggled with depression from time to time myself, I have found it most disconcerting that my brain isn't working the way it needs to be, and that I have so little direct influence over it.

I honestly doubt that anyone here was trying to make light of dyslexia or similar challenges. Ed, I'm truly sorry about our hitting a nerve with you. I believe this was clearly intended at taking a poke at Mr. Bush alone.

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 27 September 2002 06:07 PM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The 'dyslexic' caption was actually my girlfriend's idea - she is dyslexic, and makes fun of it all the time. She even has a t shirt that says 'Dyslexic not am I'
She had a really hard time all throughout her school years, and she says that her sense of humour about herself is the only thing that pulled her through some of those times.

Ed Weatherbee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2844

posted 28 September 2002 12:33 AM      Profile for Ed Weatherbee        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I actually do have some form of dyslexia- word and number transposition in reading and writing, motor skill problems. If it hadn't been for my mother , a teacher, spending a lot of time teaching me to read between six and ten, I probably would never have learned to read. Lots of problems with simple tasks like learning to tie shoes which I wasn't able to do on my own until I was ten years old. It certainly affects people during their whole lifetime. Some of my contemporaries' problems like alcohol and drug abuse had some linkage Plus, the whole attitude in the 1960's,when I grew up, that dyslexia was either 'laziness" or "badness".
Actuallly, I think Bush Jr. has a pretty major case of it. I read some article where his mother was using flash cards with him when he was 12 and 13 in order to help him with word recognition skills.

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: Ed Weatherbee ]

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 28 September 2002 04:31 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Origins: We don't yet know the provenance of this photo, such as where and when it was taken. It's a funny picture, but even if were
real, it would still be just a funny picture. If it weren't a manipulated image, it could have come about because an aide handed the book to President Bush for a quick schoolroom photo opportunity,
the President didn't immediately notice it was upside-down because he was looking at the student to his right, and a photographer managed to snap a
picture before the error was corrected. It might also be possible (but hard to determine from this image) that the books President Bush and the student were holding had removable dust jacket-type covers, but the cover of the President's copy had been put on backwards, so it looked as if he were holding the book upside-down even though he really wasn't.

So, why the prevarication? Is the image doctored or is the photo the result of all these "ifs?"

Where's that crack South African news team that broke the Britney Spears story? They'll get to the bottom of this.

Ed Weatherbee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2844

posted 04 October 2002 12:39 PM      Profile for Ed Weatherbee        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The original photo of Bush was taken in 2000 in Texas.
Original at updated

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bushbook.htm

and

http://www.rickperry.org/public/FullPic.cfm?PID=116

and here's the photo that explains it all

http://www.coldfury.com/archives/000455.php#000455

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 October 2002 12:46 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That last link was the best! Thanks, Ed, that was funny!
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca