babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » German Officials Ban 'Osama' Baby

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: German Officials Ban 'Osama' Baby
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 06 September 2002 12:39 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have no idea where to put this thread... so this'll have to do.

quote:
German officials have refused to allow a
Turkish couple living in Cologne to name their
baby boy Osama Bin Laden.

"Osama Bin Laden is a great man. He's a good
man for his people, for my culture," the baby's
father, Mehmet Cengiz, an unemployed truck
driver, told a German television station.

Granted, that part's kinda creepy, but this part...

quote:
But under German law,
it is illegal for babies
to be given names
that could be
offensive or bring
ridicule.

...is downright hilarious!!!

I had no idea they had this kind of law! Anywhere! They can't even name their baby something that could "bring ridicule"!

I wonder how far they take that definition...

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 06 September 2002 12:55 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Many years ago I read that there hasn't been a boy in Germany named "Adolf" since the war.

Self censorship, I guess.

From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bill from Bali
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3056

posted 06 September 2002 12:59 AM      Profile for Bill from Bali   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds like they didn't want a lot of Adolf Hitler's and Herman Gering's adn Eikmann's running around loose. That's quite a stigma to put on a child. Better off naming a boy "Sue".
From: Nonya damned business | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mohamad Khan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1752

posted 06 September 2002 01:42 AM      Profile for Mohamad Khan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what the fuck? what morons....the kid's stupid father can't name his son Osama bin Laden (`Usaama ibn Laadin) without changing his own name to Laden/Laadin....the name *means* "`Usaama, son of Laadin."

"good man for my culture" my ass. this guy doesn't seem to know too much about the culture he's talking about. his understanding of Islamic culture appears to be on par with Disney's. in "Alladin," the monkey's name is Abu--"father" (whose father, we're never told).

that being said, Muslims in the West who happen to be named `Usaama (and there are many) are having a hard time. it's just a name, for christ's sake. it doesn't magically turn you into a mega-terrorist.

From: "Glorified Harlem": Morningside Heights, NYC | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 06 September 2002 01:47 AM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quebec has a similar law. Every once in a while you here about someone not being allowed to name a child 'Moon Unit' or '7' or something.
From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca