babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » "Miss Canada has no political views on anything!"

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: "Miss Canada has no political views on anything!"
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 04 September 2002 03:01 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Miss Canada International -- Lynsey Bennett of Ottawa -- will not boycott the Miss World pageant in Nigeria over a court decision there to stone a woman to death for adultery, says the pageant's Canadian organizer.

"Miss Canada International is there for all of the people. She does not have political views on anything," Sylvia Stark, president of Miss Canada International, said yesterday.

Good Lord.

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 04 September 2002 03:06 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They might as well send a Barbie doll.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 04 September 2002 03:12 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
God. Since when is the concept of not stoning a human being to death a "political view"...
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 04 September 2002 03:16 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Miss Canada International is there for all of the people. She does not have political views on anything," Sylvia Stark, president of Miss Canada International, said yesterday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would Miss Canada International have a view on a plan by protesters to stone HER when she returns from Nigeria?

wei-chi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2799

posted 04 September 2002 03:19 PM      Profile for wei-chi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
and who's surprised by this?

who remembers the big "who's the real Miss Canada?" controversy with Miss Stark?

An interesting experience on that controversy here

uh clem
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1078

posted 04 September 2002 10:16 PM      Profile for uh clem   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, it appears that Miss Canada© has political views on who is Miss Canada™ and who isn't.

A great link!

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 04 September 2002 11:59 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Save for the alarming accompanying music.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 05 September 2002 12:06 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At least she didn't ask, "Where's Nigeria?"
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 05 September 2002 12:27 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does she care about that, even, I wonder?
From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 05 September 2002 12:38 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does she have views on killimg people?

There is this stereotype of models and beauty contestants as being one dimensional air heads. Why does Miss Canada, or whatever non-political, geographical entity she represents, feel a need to prove it?

Ed Weatherbee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2844

posted 05 September 2002 10:26 AM      Profile for Ed Weatherbee        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Fifth Estate had an excellent program on the chequered history of the Miss Canada International pagaent about two years ago. There was a Miss Canada Internation Survivors page (www.mcisurviors.com) at one point but it seems to have gone defunct.
This usenet thread says a lot about the pagaent.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=749a4690725c0257&rnum=1

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 September 2002 10:27 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unfortunately, "MsCanada" doesn't feel that way, she replied by sending me a computer virus - man, some people.

(That line is from Miss Canadian Universe 1998 about the other Miss Canada -- forgive me; I lose track.)

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 05 September 2002 10:52 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I went to that link, I kept thinking she was writing that she "dissociated" over this and that. And I was thinking to myself, gee, must have been REALLY traumatic.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 05 September 2002 02:36 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
When I went to that link, I kept thinking she was writing that she "dissociated" over this and that. And I was thinking to myself, gee, must have been REALLY traumatic

Very funny, Michelle.

Perhaps not so inaccurate either?

*adopts German accent*

"Perhaps vat vee sink of azz zee vell adjusted person eez really a 'passology', hmmm, yez?"

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca